Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2020, 01:17 AM - 6 Likes   #1

Renewed view on the K1ii

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So I upgraded my beloved K5 to the K1ii.
Right from out of the box it was just beautifully to hold, this camera was made for my hands!
I did struggle a bit with the vast amount of functions it has but with most things a bit of learning needed, but alas there was a fault with it ( connection pins losing contact?) so after a week of use it had to go back, “very sad moment” .
I started using my K5 again, now it seemed more like an instamatic! Haha, but since using it again I found I keep going to the menus to make various settings only to find they’ve gone, then the realisation the K5 never had those settings
I did not realise how quick I got used to the K1ii and the usefulness of the settings.
New K1 arrived the other day, it was just bliss to hold it again, ordered this one from park cameras uk, and it was over £100 cheaper so a couple of extra batteries ordered as well.
Basically having the K1ii for a week gave me a good insight, introduction, so I’ve had time to watch quite a few videos now on how to get the best from it, so right from unboxing this one it all felt totally familiar !
Out for a morning with the 150-450mm , sling type harness and it was just so comfortable and nice to use, definitely my type of camera Even for walkabouts without the sling it carries well.

06-05-2020, 07:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have fun When I started to use K-1 (mark I), suddenly K-S2 seemed to be very small and light.
06-05-2020, 07:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Falcon Quote
So I upgraded my beloved K5 to the K1ii.
Right from out of the box it was just beautifully to hold, this camera was made for my hands!
I did struggle a bit with the vast amount of functions it has but with most things a bit of learning needed, but alas there was a fault with it ( connection pins losing contact?) so after a week of use it had to go back, “very sad moment” .
I started using my K5 again, now it seemed more like an instamatic! Haha, but since using it again I found I keep going to the menus to make various settings only to find they’ve gone, then the realisation the K5 never had those settings
I did not realise how quick I got used to the K1ii and the usefulness of the settings.
New K1 arrived the other day, it was just bliss to hold it again, ordered this one from park cameras uk, and it was over £100 cheaper so a couple of extra batteries ordered as well.
Basically having the K1ii for a week gave me a good insight, introduction, so I’ve had time to watch quite a few videos now on how to get the best from it, so right from unboxing this one it all felt totally familiar !
Out for a morning with the 150-450mm , sling type harness and it was just so comfortable and nice to use, definitely my type of camera Even for walkabouts without the sling it carries well.
All very true. Even so, when I pick up my now aging K-5, it's still feels just right to me. If my K-1II just had ISO 80 as did the K-5, I'd like it more than the K-5.
06-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
All very true. Even so, when I pick up my now aging K-5, it's still feels just right to me. If my K-1II just had ISO 80 as did the K-5, I'd like it more than the K-5.
I still like the K5 it just feels so much lighter and smaller in the hand now.
I must have missed something o my K5 , I’ve heard others as well say it goes to iso80 mine will only go to iso100 ? So I don’t know what’s going on there!
Had it since they first came out.

06-05-2020, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I must have missed something o my K5 , I’ve heard others as well say it goes to iso80 mine will only go to iso100 ? So I don’t know what’s going on there!
On my K-5IIs you go to Custom menu page 1, item 3 'Expanded Sensitivity', and set to 'On'.
06-05-2020, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I still like the K5 it just feels so much lighter and smaller in the hand now.
Had it since they first came out.
You have to set it for expanded ISO in the menu. I have the original K5 and it does go to 80.
06-06-2020, 12:10 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
On my K-5IIs you go to Custom menu page 1, item 3 'Expanded Sensitivity', and set to 'On'.
Good god!!
Only taken about ten years for me to learn that, good that I’m keeping the K5, at least I can use it now on iso80 hahaha

06-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats on the K1, I too have the K5 as well, will never let it go. I also have the 150-450 lens and am wondering the brand and model sling strap you have for walk about shooting, currently I am using a Dewalt heavy duty strap for my set up....
06-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Congrats on the K1, I too have the K5 as well, will never let it go. I also have the 150-450 lens and am wondering the brand and model sling strap you have for walk about shooting, currently I am using a Dewalt heavy duty strap for my set up....
Thanks! It’s a nice setup.
This is the sling I’m using, it needs one and got this cheepy one just to start with but as I said, really comfortable .

Prowithlin Camera Strap with Safety Tether Mounting: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
06-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good god!!
Only taken about ten years for me to learn that, good that I’m keeping the K5, at least I can use it now on iso80 hahaha
+1
Admittedly a Pentax K5 fanboy, but had missed this!

Kjell