Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2020, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Just remembered, the Tamron 28-75 2.8 is pretty cheap I think. If you can't justify getting the DFA 24-70, it's a pretty good alternative.
The other problem we are having right now is there are so many legacy choices. It's the fact that your find your DAF 28-105 weak that's slowing me down here. I keep thinking of a lot of lenses like the FA 24-50 ƒ4 that rank better than 9/10 and can be bought for $150.
SMC Pentax-F 24-50mm F4 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Or the FA 50 macro, for close focussing , flowers bugs etc.
SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

What's slowing us down here is that you think the DFA 28-105 isn't good enough.

That really limits the lenses we can recommend. Usually cheap means not so good.
The other thing is the 28-105 covers a very convenient range. Trying to avoid too much overlap, if you only own two lenses, they should do different things.

I use my DA 55-300 PLM on my K-1, but that's just me. Not many would be happy with that particular set of compromises.

07-06-2020, 01:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The other problem we are having right now is there are so many legacy choices. It's the fact that your find your DAF 28-105 weak that's slowing me down here. I keep thinking of a lot of lenses like the FA 24-50 ƒ4 that rank better than 9/10 and can be bought for $150.
SMC Pentax-F 24-50mm F4 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

That really limits the lenses we can recommend. Usually cheap means not so good.
The other thing is the 28-105 covers a very convenient range. Trying to avoid too much overlap, if you only own two lenses, they should do different things.

I use my DA 55-300 PLM on my K-1, but that's just me. Not many would be happy with that particular set of compromises.
I mean it's not even that cheap. I remember Olympus kit lenses are like $100-150. Those are real kit lenses. Mostly not great, cheap.

DFA 28-105 is super sturdy, tight tolerances, sharp, weather sealed. At f8 on the wide end of the range it rivals any other lens I own.
07-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

I was only curious to know if I am losing out by using only the 28-105. I no longer have the 24-70, it is just out of memory at this point but I do remember it to have a different color rendition (which I liked more). If I am not losing out on sharpness or color rendition by using only the 28-105, then I guess I just need a 100 macro for portraits and I am golden.

It is great to know that these many lenses make great pairings with the K-1, it will certainly help me have some other affordable lenses for a little variety.
07-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As others have noted, to call the DFA 28-105 a "kit lens" does it a disservice. It is an excellent lens in its own right. (The DA*50 though is in a different league, but star lenses are supposed to be.)

However, the 28-105 does have one issue I have to be mindful of. My K1 at least is subject to shutter shock for shutter speeds between about 1/100 and 1/200 sec, with this lens being most prone, probably because its moderate weight puts it in some sort of resonance when combined with the K1. My heftier lenses, and much lighter lenses such as the DA 40 and 70 Limiteds, are much less affected. I can get around this issue by either making sure I don't shoot in that speed range, or by using the electronic shutter with LV. This is apparently less of an issue with some copies of the K1 than with others, so your experience may differ. I recommend checking back over some of the images you were unsatisfied by and being whether they were taken at those shutter speeds. This is an issue for many FF DSLRs.

Regarding colour, I have not noticed the the 28-105 is handicapped in any way compared to its more expensive siblings. If it's "pop" you're talking about produced by very limited depth of field, then faster primes my suit you better, even older ones.

07-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I mean it's not even that cheap. I remember Olympus kit lenses are like $100-150. Those are real kit lenses. Mostly not great, cheap.

DFA 28-105 is super sturdy, tight tolerances, sharp, weather sealed. At f8 on the wide end of the range it rivals any other lens I own.
Its great to hear that stepped down the lens is right up there in image quality (I take most of my shots stepped down anyway). That was my only real concern, whether I am losing out by restricting to one lens.
07-06-2020, 01:55 PM   #21
Closed Account

I'm not seeing anything terrible on your flickr account, some nice shots. The one of the moth, did you miss the focus on the eye and get further back, I'm asking because I'm wondering if you've done an af fine tune?
07-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Manual focus k-mount lenses would be a nice way to get fast glass cheaply. M42 with the right adapter would also work.

07-06-2020, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
I'm not seeing anything terrible on your flickr account, some nice shots. The one of the insect, did you miss the focus on the eye and get further back, I'm asking because I'm wondering if you've done an af fine tune?
The moth shot was made using the kit lens with a cheap $10 macro filter + 2 close up filters (to get really, really close). The shot was also made hand held at a depth of field of a few hairs so I wouldn't blame the autofocus even if the auto-focus was missed, I was pleasently surprised I got away with that much to be honest

EDIT - I checked and it is simply the super-limited depth of field from having to use 1 macro + 2 close up filters to picture the tiny moth, the autofocus worked perfectly once I put it in "spot" mode.
07-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are a number of high quality lenses for around $50 or less. These include the M 50/1.7, SMC 55/1.8, M 35-70/2.8-3.5, and M 28/2.8. Yes these are all manual focus and the need to use the green button but they are all full frame and will help you in developing your photographic skills.
07-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
There are a number of high quality lenses for around $50 or less. These include the M 50/1.7, SMC 55/1.8, M 35-70/2.8-3.5, and M 28/2.8. Yes these are all manual focus and the need to use the green button but they are all full frame and will help you in developing your photographic skills.
Is the sharpness and color rendition comparable to modern D-FA lenses, once these manual lenses are stepped down?
07-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
As others have noted, to call the DFA 28-105 a "kit lens" does it a disservice. It is an excellent lens in its own right. (The DA*50 though is in a different league, but star lenses are supposed to be.)

However, the 28-105 does have one issue I have to be mindful of. My K1 at least is subject to shutter shock for shutter speeds between about 1/100 and 1/200 sec, with this lens being most prone, probably because its moderate weight puts it in some sort of resonance when combined with the K1. My heftier lenses, and much lighter lenses such as the DA 40 and 70 Limiteds, are much less affected. I can get around this issue by either making sure I don't shoot in that speed range, or by using the electronic shutter with LV. This is apparently less of an issue with some copies of the K1 than with others, so your experience may differ. I recommend checking back over some of the images you were unsatisfied by and being whether they were taken at those shutter speeds. This is an issue for many FF DSLRs.

Regarding colour, I have not noticed the the 28-105 is handicapped in any way compared to its more expensive siblings. If it's "pop" you're talking about produced by very limited depth of field, then faster primes my suit you better, even older ones.
Yeah, this is a good point. I definitely see the effects of it as well. I learned to work around it, most of the time I use electronic shutter for my landscape shots, to avoid any shutter shock.

---------- Post added 07-06-20 at 05:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by brainwave Quote
Is the sharpness and color rendition comparable to modern D-FA lenses, once these manual lenses are stepped down?
I only own the Pentax-A 50 1.4, and it definitely sharpens up nicely stepped down. It also has lovely bokeh. I tend to use my more modern lenses most of the time though.
07-06-2020, 02:12 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Modern D-FA lenses are absolutely top of their class. The ones Pentax designed anyway. D-FA 50 1.4, DFA 85, DFA 70-200. These are massive heavily corrected multiple ED element and aspheric element lenses. It's not that your going to find older Pentax glass that's comparable. It's that you aren't going to find better lenses anywhere. No one has the capability currently to produce top class lenses that aren't really expensive and weigh a ton. It's not about what's best if you're on a budget, it's about what you can live with.

Last edited by normhead; 07-06-2020 at 02:18 PM.
07-06-2020, 02:19 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is true specifically for India, and only for the 35mm and 50mm bracket. I did check the Nikon lenses for 70-200 f/2.8 and boy its as expensive as Pentax lenses, don't know if it is weather sealed to go with.

Do you happen to know if there any difference in color rendition between 28-105 and the 24-70 f/2.8?

In any case, here is my flickr for reference, all images are with the K-1 and the kit lens (sometimes adding a screw-on macro filter for some close up shots).
You have some nice images in there so I don't think your photographer skills are lacking.

As a couple other posters have mentioned the DA50 1.8 is a value-priced lens punching well above its weight. The Tamron 90 macro looks like another great value but still delivering great images. Bonus for it doing double duty as a portrait and macro lens. Keep an eye open for a Tamron or Sigma 70-200 2.8 to go along with those two and you're golden in your lens range and quality IMHO while keeping your budget under control.

You can create some amazing images without the latest pro-level glass, and I personally think you have the talent and creativity to do so based on what I'm seeing on your Flickr page.
07-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check out these threads and then you tell me.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/29948-k-club.html

The M Club! - PentaxForums.com
07-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
You have some nice images in there so I don't think your photographer skills are lacking.

As a couple other posters have mentioned the DA50 1.8 is a value-priced lens punching well above its weight. The Tamron 90 macro looks like another great value but still delivering great images. Bonus for it doing double duty as a portrait and macro lens. Keep an eye open for a Tamron or Sigma 70-200 2.8 to go along with those two and you're golden in your lens range and quality IMHO while keeping your budget under control.

You can create some amazing images without the latest pro-level glass, and I personally think you have the talent and creativity to do so based on what I'm seeing on your Flickr page.
The images look really good.... to the point where you might appreciate the excellent MF glass more than AF versions. You just get more for your money.