Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2020, 03:06 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Check out these threads and then you tell me.

The K-Club! - PentaxForums.com

The M Club! - PentaxForums.com
Gosh, I never visited that thread before. Great stuff there! Gives me reason to perhaps expand my lens possibilities beyond * lenses and FA or DFA versions.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-06-2020 at 03:11 PM.
07-06-2020, 03:10 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Gosh, I never vised that thread before. Great stuff there! Gives me reason to perhaps expand my lens possibilities beyond * lenses and FA or DFA versions.
If those are of interest, you might find this even more interesting.

About & Index of Pentax lenses in this section - PentaxForums.com
07-06-2020, 03:12 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
If those are of interest, you might find this even more interesting.

About & Index of Pentax lenses in this section - PentaxForums.com
Thanks!

EDT: It reminds me I promised Lowell I'd post some sample images from a lens that's rarely mentioned but delivers wonderful results, Revuenon 50 1.4.
07-06-2020, 03:16 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Thanks!

EDT: It reminds me I promised Lowell I'd post some sample images from a lens that's rarely mentioned but delivers wonderful results, Revuenon 50 1.4.
Your welcome, happy to be of help.

07-06-2020, 03:32 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your images are quite good, very good in fact. The 28-105 is an excellent lens from what I have seen others post. You should persevere with it.

Changing lenses or hoping for a cheaper prime that will outperform the existing fast zoom range (15-30; 24-70; 70-200) is wishful thinking.

The BIG advantage of your investment into the Pentax FF system is the multitude of quality and largely reasonably priced legacy lenses you can use. You should get a hood for these lenses as the coatings are not up to today's standards for flare control. But when accurately focussed in the correct conditions, the quality of the optics literally shines through.

Have a look at my recent posts here, with a M* 300mm f4 and a M 85mm f2.0. Lenses that are 42 and 37 years old respectively.

Getting Back Into Photography - PentaxForums.com

The M Club! - Page 543 - PentaxForums.com
07-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!
I don't think other lenses are the answer for you yet, your images look very good already.
The K-1 has so many features and settings, it can take time to get used to finding the right settings for your style. Since you only have one lens, you are controlling variables, so you can play with those camera setiings and see how the changes affect each image.

Last edited by robgski; 07-06-2020 at 04:51 PM.
07-07-2020, 12:50 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brainwave Quote
I really regret not doing my full research before jumping the ship to full-frame Pentax.
reading all the previous answers,
i hope you got rid of this imo false buyers remorse..

I'd love to have a K1 with 'kitlens' to combine with legacy lenses i gathered over the years.
Some that really shine on my K3 are fa24-50, M28 3.5 ,M85 1.8 and M135 3.5...

07-07-2020, 01:19 AM   #38
Forum Member

Its great to hear that stepped down the lens is right up there in image quality (I take most of my shots stepped down anyway). That was my only real concern, whether I am losing out by restricting to one lens.
I was for a long time disappointed with my DFA 28-105... However, when I finally checked it -- taking MF/AF comparison shots at marked focal lengths, with tripod and in M mode -- it became clear the AF just wasn't right, and AF tuning was not able to rectify things.

It has just got back from repair (on warranty) and I am pleased to say it is a completely different lens -- I now understand the praise it gets.

Maybe worth checking? Caveat being I use it exclusively with the KP.
07-07-2020, 04:46 AM   #39

I have both the K1MII and the K3II, most of the glass I have interchange between the two without problem. The 28-105 is a good all around workhorse, Ive never had any issues with it not doing a good job. As mentioned I have a 50mm 1.4 that I picked up used for a good price, does great. The HD DA 70mm 2.4 Ltd works great on both bodies and does great on portraits. The HD DA 35mm macro ltd, and the 100mm 2.8 both work really well on both cameras. The DA18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [If] DC WR is another that gets swapped back and forth. Then there's a whole bunch of legacy manual lenses that can be picked up on the cheap.
07-07-2020, 06:21 AM   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
. . . Then there's a whole bunch of legacy manual lenses that can be picked up on the cheap.
I don't have either the K 1 or K 1 II but I do use " K ", " M ", " A ", " F ", " FA ", " D FA" and " DA " lenses

one reason is that the forum's Market Place in the US is very good to find " experienced ": lenses

other parts of the world, not so much
07-07-2020, 06:36 AM   #41

Original Poster
I just saw that the 28-105 lens is the only D-FA lens not welcome in Ricoh's own Best Photo Contest. Why the special treatment to this lens if its that excellent?
07-07-2020, 08:14 AM   #42
Pentaxian

The beauty of the Pentax camera is ALL of their lenses will work on the K1... One is not strapped to purchasing the latest "new" expensive lens. There are a host of really good older full frame lenses available in really good condition that are made for the K mount made by various manufactures if one choices to seek them out. I have sold most of my apsc and have kept a few select ones to use on my K1 mkll as well as my K3 ll. So a ton of fun can be had for those of us on a budget....Though I recently went into payment debt for one I couldn't pass up the... Pentax HD PENTAX D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW Lens.
07-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #43
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

this chart is a good way to quickly see how Pentax Lenses work with the various Pentax cameras:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2018 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA".
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts unless they are singled out in the table below. So for compatibility of a DA* lens, look under DA lenses, etc.
Exceptions:
FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering. . . .

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
07-08-2020, 01:11 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I just saw that the 28-105 lens is the only D-FA lens not welcome in Ricoh's own Best Photo Contest. Why the special treatment to this lens if its that excellent?
They may just have forgotten it.
More likely they are wanting to promote certain lenses and exclude "kit lenses" in general.

I don't think any lens was excluded because it wasn't deemed good enough. Pentax doesn't make lenses that are that bad.

Have you checked the used market in India? Maybe you can source a lens locally?

N. B., I would not worry about "colour rendition" unless you don't want to perform any post processing. After some white balancing it will be very hard to recognise lenses by their colour rendition, in particular if one cannot compare images (i.e. has no reference).

P.S.: Be careful with APS-C lenses being sold as working on FF. A few do but most (like the DA Limiteds) will give you bad IQ near the edges unless stopped down. You can of course use such lenses using your camera's crop mode but if you want to use the full sensor, limit your choice to proper FF lenses or the few exceptions among the APS-C lenses.
07-08-2020, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Beware that quite a few pentax forum members recommend DA lenses (apsc) for FF but understate the problems. The "official" Pentax forums article seems to do a very good job however. Check it out!

Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com