Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2020, 09:59 PM   #76

Original Poster
If I can weigh in on the mechanics aspect, I suspect the battery grip is merely changing the perception of shutter slap.

Try this activity. Take one hand under lens, one hand on the side grip. Support camera with both hands partially. With shutter speeds if 1/125s, you might perceive the shutter actuation.

Remove the hand under the lens, hold it only with the side grip, and actuate again. The feeling should be distinctly lower.

Can you replicate this result or not? With the 28-105 kit lens?

If yes, then battery grip merely causes the hand to not feel shutter slap anymore because vibrations die out.by the time they reach the hand via the battery grip.

07-23-2020, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #77
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd love to see some examples of photos with the "shutter slap" phenomenon on a K-1II. I love shooting in the stated shutter speed range and I've never noticed anything like that in my images.
So, I have no idea what it looks like!
07-24-2020, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #78

I've never had an issue with shooting at slower shutter speeds hand held, with the K1MII or the K3II as long as the SR was enabled. For example this was hand held at 1/125. The focus was on the drop in the center.

Or this one hand held at 1/125. That's one of our &*^% mosquitoes on the top bloom.

I have some more even slower, down to the 1/30 range. I guess I'm not understanding the issue.
07-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #79
Veteran Member

I guess i need to post this again. Here's a sequence of shots at different shutter speeds with my K-1 & 28-105 combo.
3 photos per shutter speed. You'll need to download few jpegs and zoom into the details to see what I'm talking about.
Look at images labeled 1-50 to 1-125 for example, any of the shutter speeds in between. You can clearly see loss of resolution compared to anything under 1/30, or 1/250.
Under 1/30 is razor sharp, and anything over 1/250 is also razor sharp for me. Again, this is my particular combo, i'm not making clains about all of your cameras and lenses.
If you don't have this issue, i would like to congratulate you and wish you best of luck.
I see some loss of resolution at different shutter speeds with other lenses too, but 28-105 is the worst offender with my personal combo (i feel like i need to reiterate it every time i mention shutter shock).

Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help

---------- Post added 07-24-20 at 12:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'd love to see some examples of photos with the "shutter slap" phenomenon on a K-1II. I love shooting in the stated shutter speed range and I've never noticed anything like that in my images.
So, I have no idea what it looks like!
example provided

07-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I guess i need to post this again. Here's a sequence of shots at different shutter speeds with my K-1 & 28-105 combo.
3 photos per shutter speed. You'll need to download few jpegs and zoom into the details to see what I'm talking about.
Look at images labeled 1-50 to 1-125 for example, any of the shutter speeds in between. You can clearly see loss of resolution compared to anything under 1/30, or 1/250.
Under 1/30 is razor sharp, and anything over 1/250 is also razor sharp for me. Again, this is my particular combo, i'm not making clains about all of your cameras and lenses.
If you don't have this issue, i would like to congratulate you and wish you best of luck.
I see some loss of resolution at different shutter speeds with other lenses too, but 28-105 is the worst offender with my personal combo (i feel like i need to reiterate it every time i mention shutter shock).

Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help

---------- Post added 07-24-20 at 12:59 PM ----------

example provided
Thank you. Hope you don't mind, but I have cropped some of your photos, all the top left corner of the images, and I'm not sure what I should be looking for!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Thank you. Hope you don't mind, but I have cropped some of your photos, all the top left corner of the images, and I'm not sure what I should be looking for!
OK, so look at sharpness of 1/5, 1/50, and 1/250, just zoom in on the center of the image. The smudging you see at 1/50 is the shutter shock I'm talking about. It affects my images from 1/30 to 1/200, some worse, some slightly better.

But the resolution drops for sure.

---------- Post added 07-26-20 at 11:07 PM ----------

here, let me save you some time) you can click on the image and zoom in on the flickr page. Basically, 1/5 looks way sharper than 1/50, and that's what i'm seeing with my particular combo, except when i use ES on a tripod. No issues then.

07-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, so look at sharpness of 1/5, 1/50, and 1/250, just zoom in on the center of the image. The smudging you see at 1/50 is the shutter shock I'm talking about. It affects my images from 1/30 to 1/200, some worse, some slightly better.

But the resolution drops for sure.

---------- Post added 07-26-20 at 11:07 PM ----------

here, let me save you some time) you can click on the image and zoom in on the flickr page. Basically, 1/5 looks way sharper than 1/50, and that's what i'm seeing with my particular combo, except when i use ES on a tripod. No issues then.

Aha, thanks. I'll have to do a test or two with mine and have a look to see if I can duplicate that. I did find your choice of subject matter hard to understand because I could not figure out what you were focussing on.

07-27-2020, 06:20 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oddly the picture refuses to open on Flickr for me.
07-27-2020, 06:47 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Oddly the picture refuses to open on Flickr for me.
I'll see if I can upload elsewhere this evening. I usually set these kind of uploads to private, maybe that's the issue.

---------- Post added 07-27-20 at 09:49 AM ----------

Aha, thanks. I'll have to do a test or two with mine and have a look to see if I can duplicate that. I did find your choice of subject matter hard to understand because I could not figure out what you were focussing on.
Well, back then I just went to my backyard and took a series of pics. Thought the branches and tree bark would serve well to show resolution. I haven't changed focus for the entire sequence, it was on manual focused on the background.
07-27-2020, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll see if I can upload elsewhere this evening. I usually set these kind of uploads to private, maybe that's the issue.
It isn't a major problem, I'm just curious. Don't go to too much trouble.