Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2020, 09:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

APS-C question

First, let me apologize to anyone that sent me a PM. I was almost killed in a car crash (not my fault), and I have had significant downtime in all aspects of my life.

I've upgraded on Pentax from the *DST, which I found by accident. I found this site, and the idea Pentax is for me, by accident.
Years of here and of upgrades.

I now have the K-1 ii. I already had the 3 amigos. My DFA* 85 seems to have crapped out.

I mention these things only to say I used to have an LBA.

So, now, I am full frame, and it is wonderful.

But, my favorite lenses have been
SMC DA 1.2 40 mm pancake
HD Pentax 2.8 40 limited

The pics still come out great with FF mode adjusted to crop correctly.

I only have the modern kit lens that came with it. My focus has been on "baby" now 10 years portraits, and action (which she

now raises h*ll against the pics).

Are these lenses worth keeping. Keep in mind I'm not a 1 percenter but I do OK as a systems engineer.
I do not have to sell anything. In fact, I have donated to church my past 3 Pentax cameras.

I do really like the idea of the fast point and shoot of the above lenses. Almost like a point and shoot, just 3D pixie dust.

Should I sell, keep, bundle? I am putting up for sell a K-3ii Soon. It will be a low cost bundle take it or leave it, or I will

just donate. I hate bottom feeders.

08-01-2020, 10:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But, my favorite lenses have been
SMC DA 1.2 40 mm pancake

I can not find any info about this lens.
Please provide more details / pictures.
08-01-2020, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about your accident - hope things are going well now!

If you have the 3 Amigos, then you already have the FA 43, which is an excellent "standard" focal range lense on the K-1. Use mine a lot. If you are looking for the DA 40 & APS-C equivalent field of view then there are some 3rd party 60mm lenses, but probably something like the FA 50 f1.4 is near enough and a decent performer - or if you have the budget and don't mind the size and weight (a problem for me) then I hear the HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm F1.4 is fantastic.
08-01-2020, 11:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
SMC DA 1.2.8 40 MM DS. Pancake. I'll get a photo when I can re-figure out (keep in mind I could not move my fingers well for over a year).

HD DA 1.28 limited red ring.

That is the one I am thinking to keep. Granted, the K-1 is so heavy it can never be a point and shoot.
At the same time maybe as close as I can get.

On the new market (got the pancake used, the redline new) the redline was maybe 3X in price.
It is a modern lens.

I can easily carry the 31, 43, 77, and I even have the something 50 (the good full frame one, I forget).
None of which are nearly as low profile.

I want to get down to what fits into a small camera bag, not a desk with 3 drawers.

08-02-2020, 02:41 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stopped down a bit you can shoot the DA 40 and 70 in full frame modes. Would those work? I use the DA *55 a lot as well in full frame mode which would give you a similar angle of view to the DA 40 on crop. It is pretty small without the hood, but obviously not a pancake.
08-02-2020, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
. . . I can not find any info about this lens.
Please provide more details / pictures.
Pentax 40mm F2.8 variants:

the DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
- HD Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
- SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited

the DA 40mm F2.8 XS
- SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS smallest lens Pentax makes

QuoteQuote:
Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 2019 . . .

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/gear-guides/full-frame-coverage-of-da-...#ixzz6TxGwvb5M

the SMC 40mm F2.8
-SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8 " original Pancake "

" full frame "

look here for more info and photos of the lenses

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-02-2020 at 03:42 AM.
08-02-2020, 03:43 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep the Three Amigos. Of course
Keep the DA 40 XS. Too cheap to sell, and a remarkable performer
Keep the HD 40 Limited. For pretty, and quick shift.
Keep the DFA 28-105. Duh!

You said you have no pressing need to sell.

So what was the question again?

08-02-2020, 07:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I can easily carry the 31, 43, 77, and I even have the something 50 (the good full frame one, I forget).
None of which are nearly as low profile.

I want to get down to what fits into a small camera bag, not a desk with 3 drawers.
How does manual focus suit you? Many options there that might work.
08-02-2020, 09:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have not explained myself well. I'm an efficiency engineer. Among other things I do predictive failure analysis. I'm deeply disturbed by waste. If I wasn't, I would be a CPA. With that said, I plan to keep the 40 mm pancake (almost worthless sold on its own), and the HD 40 mm limited (bought when I made a lot less money than I make now, so that resides in me).

I've been working out with the 40 limited (cat pics).

The part I have not explained well, is the weight, and the weilding around. Moving from the kit lens, or even say a HEAVY Amigo 31, to a flat 40 mm, changes the dynamics of carrying this thing around. Not a big deal unless you have a broken neck....

It makes it into a point and shoot. Granted heavy for one.

And then compare to my sister's Nikon.....hers is EXPENSIVE....but plastic, and has the weight of PLASTIC.
Except, the 200 mm , $13,000 ONE lens she has. OMG.

But, I digress.

I'm going to bundle out my K-3ii with good lenses and donate my K-5ii.

Like I do OK, but I see that new 85 portrait. That has to be worked in. As well as does the 200 mm, or frankly, I would like more reach,
on the modern Ricoh re design. Worked in is not 2 months.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 08-03-2020 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Rude letter
08-03-2020, 03:09 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
. . . The part I have not explained well, is the weight, and the weilding around. Moving from the kit lens, or even say a HEAVY Amigo 31, to a flat 40 mm, changes the dynamics of carrying this thing around. Not a big deal unless you have a broken neck....
can you carry weight at your hips?

perhaps a belt system or cargo pants with large pockets

although not a Limited as far as built and features, this is lighter - 40mm F2.8 XS

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The SMC Pentax DA 40mm XS is based on the optical design of the SMC Pentax DA 40mm Limited, but its exterior is designed by Marc Newson so as to match the design of the K-01 mirrorless camera. The lens will work with Pentax DSLRs as well as with the K-01.

It is smaller being only 9.2 mm thick. The aperture blades are rounded which produces a smooth bokeh. The front element has SP coating which repels dust, water and grease and which makes it easier to wipe the front element clean.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/smc-pentax-da-40mm-f2.8-xs.html#ixzz6U3DT0uCI

QuoteQuote:
. . . DA 40mm f/2.8 XS
Though extremely similar (perhaps even identical) to the DA 40/2.8 Limited in terms of specs and optical construction, the DA 40mm f/2.8 XS is even more compact (9.2mm vs 15mm thick) and more lightweight (1.8 oz. vs 3.2 oz.). At a price of $246.95, it also shaves more than $100 off the cost of its fancier brother. Its body is entirely plastic, aside from the somewhat surprising inclusion of a metal mount, but it feels very well built all the same. . . .

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/design...#ixzz6U38rpY00
QuoteQuote:
. . . Conclusion: DA 40mm f/2.8 XS

The smallest and lightest APS-C lens currently being made, the DA 40mm f/2.8 XS has a certain cachet built in from the get-go. We're happy to report that it's also good at what really matters: producing excellent photos. It's really quite surprising the quality you can get out of a lens that looks and feels like a body cap. (Or, at the very least, it debunks the notion of lens size/weight and image quality having any kind of correlation.)

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/conclu...#ixzz6U36vpmwb

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-03-2020 at 03:42 AM.
08-03-2020, 05:54 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I have all of them and they all work well with K-1 but none of them is F1.2 so ??
ok, it must be just a typo

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Pentax 40mm F2.8 variants:

the DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
- HD Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
- SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited

the DA 40mm F2.8 XS
- SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS smallest lens Pentax makes

Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

the SMC 40mm F2.8
-SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8 " original Pancake "

" full frame "

look here for more info and photos of the lenses

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Last edited by i_trax; 08-03-2020 at 06:00 AM.
08-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Typo. The HD lens was expensive and I like it as a walk around. The pancake worth nothing on the open market so I will keep. I move slow but will have some stuff for sale soon.