Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2020, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Question regarding in depth reviews/consolodation

So, I had a lot of time to read (was in hospital) but could not post from my phone.

The in-depth reviews say that although the HD DA 2.8 40mm limited redline was designed for APS-C, it
functions as a FF lens (paraphrase).

I also have the SMC DA* 55 1.4 greenline. Clearly, this is an APS-C lens. At least that is what I thought I read.
But I can say for indoor cat portraits it exceeds the DA85* (I sold, saw no reason to have that, plus the 77 limited).

I'm interested in moving forward only with the lenses that truly enhance the K-1ii ownership. I've sold or given away
(mostly given away) all my early on LBA lenses to someone that really appreciates.

I have the FA50 1.4 as a point and shoot.

Both lenses are obviously, "paid for."

I like them both. So I guess my question is are they worth keeping, in regards to what I have already.

Any lenses I buy in the future will be the modern recently released. I have no plans to buy that huge 50 1.4.

Please give some thoughts.

10-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
Any lenses I buy in the future will be the modern recently released.
I'm interested in moving forward only with the lenses that truly enhance the K-1ii ownership.
I believe the DFA* 85mm f/1.4 and the DFA* 50mm f/1.4 were released to 'truly enhance the K1ii ownership' and actually realize the resolving power of the FF sensor.
The 40mm f/2.8, 55mm f/1.4, and 77mm f/1.8 are all excellent lenses that will work on your K1ii just fine.
But to release the full potential of the K-1, you'd probably want to buy the expensive, huge, modern lenses.
10-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any lenses I buy in the future will be the modern recently released. I have no plans to buy that huge 50 1.4.
It seems all new lenses are going to be huge.
The in-depth reviews say that although the HD DA 2.8 40mm limited redline was designed for APS-C, itfunctions as a FF lens (paraphrase).
"functions" and works well may not be the same. IMHO if you are moving to FF then buy FF lenses. Either new release or quality F or FA ones.
But I can say for indoor cat portraits it exceeds the DA85*
Did you mean DFA*85?
10-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, that is what I meant. And great point in regards to "functions."

10-28-2020, 11:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And great point in regards to "functions."
There are a number of DA lenses that will work on full frame. But how well they work and what is acceptable is up to the individual. All of my primes are F or FA so there is no issue. My DA zooms are clearly DA so again for me no issue, they don't work at all on FF. I have a DA bag for the K-3II and a FF frame bag for the K-1II. Primes work on either.

The only lens I had that was 'functional' on FF was the DA*60-250 and I sold that in anticipation of the DFA 70-210
10-28-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe this chart will help you:
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf
10-28-2020, 11:52 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just my two-cents worth; when moving to the K-1, was initially a little disappointed the wonderous reported aspects of this technology seemed elusive. A small addition in the form of the D FA 28-105 brought the K-1 to "life". This lens is a great all-purpose workhouse and I would recommend this lens as a good first step to find lenses that complements the new technology. After that, the LBA comes on aggressively lol

10-28-2020, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Please give some thoughts
The FA 50mm 1.4 you already have is a great lens for the K1. I use it as a walkaround lens. If you look at the tests or reviews I am sure you will be told it does not match the capability of the sensor. Ignore that.

The DA 40mm 2.8 I have but have not given it much action with the K1. Great as a mount cover though.

I have both the DFA 50mm 1.4 and the DFA 85mm 1.4 and they are both spectacular lenses. But ultimately what makes a great picture is not the lens, or the camera, but the photographer
10-28-2020, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

IMO the latest, sharpest lenses are only "required" if you print exceptionally large (bigger than 24"x36"), view on an 8K or larger resolution monitor, or heavily crop your photos.

Color, contrast, and flare resistance are important lens factors. Yes, the brand new lenses do well there, but so do many older lenses.

I'm a big fan of the 28-105. I built my K-1 kit with that as my main lens, with other zooms or prime lenses to fill gaps in focal length or for other special characteristics of the lenses.
10-28-2020, 11:49 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Fwiw..... I haven't really found a disapointing lens on the K1.... generally the K1 almost gets out of the way to get the most from a lens....and.... if at all even a little bit fussy.... shoot raw and learn to edit is for the most part.... the biggest leap after normal photography skills.
10-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
There are a number of DA lenses that will work on full frame. But how well they work and what is acceptable is up to the individual. . . .
QuoteQuote:
Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 2019

Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com
10-29-2020, 05:57 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA 40SX is sitting on my K-1 at the moment. Great street lens, it's almost the size of a lens cap, even smaller than your Limited. The DA*55 is sensational, IMHO, you could sell the FA50 f1.4, which probably covers the full frame less.

I saw your post in another thread about your health, and you've been in the wars. Hope these lenses give you joy when you're up and about.
10-30-2020, 06:03 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What you need is a cheap FA 35mm F2
10-30-2020, 12:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can tell you it is not the equipment. I've taken online classes, read books, my sister went to school for photography and gives advice (Army school, like a year). Every time I think I've got a good shot going on I come here and are humbled. I have been practicing lightroom and raw pic taking. But at the end of the day I want to move forward with the FF. I won't be buying another camera. I won't be in LBA mode like that *55 I forgot I had it. Totally unused.
10-31-2020, 02:46 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think the DA 40 gives full coverage on a full frame sensor. It is pretty close, but even stopped down the corners seem to be soft. The DA *55 is really good on full frame, as long as you leave off the hood. I don't like it wide open, but at f1.8 and beyond it is good.
As for it being better than the DFA *85, I don't think so. Maybe for indoor cat photos, but for anything moving, the DFA *85 is going to be better at keeping up with it.

I guess I would say that many primes designed for APS-C can be shot on full frame with decent results, but often they will need to be stopped down a bit and will have weak corners/borders.