Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2020, 10:55 AM   #1

K-1 Mirror Lock Up

Would someone please tell me, step by step, how to set the mirror to lock up on the K-1 (of course, not when in live view)?

I have searched the menu multiple times and have failed to find any specifics on the right procedure. Also, I have failed to find any step-by-step instruction in the owner's manual.

Thank you.

11-08-2020, 11:15 AM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cpoteet Quote
K-1 Mirror Lock Up
You can find it in the user guide on page 60, ''Mirror lock-up shooting'', using that function with the remote control to minimize vibration.

Ciao Mario
11-08-2020, 11:23 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure. It's not in the MENU like a Canon. It's in the drive mode.
Here goes:
Put the camera in a mode such as M where you have control (eg not the U1 to U5 modes you may have pre-programmed)..
Mode Dial - push the centre button down, and rotate to M.

Press the Four way controller Top button - the one with the multiple rectangles and timer symbol.
You'll now see some options include M.UP
Press the Four way controller Right button until M.UP s selected.
Press the Four way controller Down button and it will select M.UP.

If you wish to use Mirror lockup with the IR remote, then press the right button to select M.UP with remote.
OK

Pressing the shutter all the way down will lift the mirror.
It will beep at you periodically.
Press the shutter again to fire the shutter.

One thing I dislike is it does not have the 3 second delay option on the remote for M.UP. e.g. use the O-RC1 IR remote to lift the mirror, delay 3 secs, and fire the shutter.
Instead, you press the remote once to lift the mirror, and a second time, just like the shutter button, to fire the shutter.
Same result.

If you're shooting astrophotos or other long exposures, you may also find that when in Bulb mode, it helps to turn on Menu C 1 6 Builb (B) Mode Options = 2, which will allow the shutter button to open the shutter, then press again to close the shutter.
11-08-2020, 12:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Here goes:
Put the camera in a mode such as M where you have control (eg not the U1 to U5 modes you may have pre-programmed)..

Press the Four way controller Top button - the one with the multiple rectangles and timer symbol.

If you wish to use Mirror lockup with the IR remote, then press the right button to select M.UP with remote.
OK

One thing I dislike is it does not have the 3 second delay option on the remote for M.UP. e.g. use the O-RC1 IR remote to lift the mirror, delay 3 secs, and fire the shutter.
Instead, you press the remote once to lift the mirror, and a second time, just like the shutter button, to fire the shutter.
Same result.

If you're shooting astrophotos or other long exposures, you may also find that when in Bulb mode, it helps to turn on Menu C 1 6 Builb (B) Mode Options = 2, which will allow the shutter button to open the shutter, then press again to close the shutter.
Maw, Prof Buzz -

I realize what an elementary question this is and I appreciate everyone's patience in willing to help.

Thank you! How simple...when you understand the exact, specific steps.

The owner's manual on p.60 simply says Select MUP on the Drive Mode Screen. "Please Sir, would you be so kind as to tell me how to get to the Drive Mode Screen"?!

11-08-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The owner's manual on p.60 simply says Select MUP on the Drive Mode Screen. "Please Sir, would you be so kind as to tell me how to get to the Drive Mode Screen"?!
The owner's manuals can be a bit cryptic sometimes, interval timer is a fun one too. The thing is the options can be surprisingly useful in unexpected ways when someone describes their uses.

This is a useful thread:
What camera functions have you discovered long after buying the camera? - PentaxForums.com
11-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Page 56 of the manual.

---------- Post added 11-08-20 at 01:45 PM ----------

Maw, Prof Buzz -

I realize what an elementary question this is and I appreciate everyone's patience in willing to help.

Thank you! How simple...when you understand the exact, specific steps.

11-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #7
maw
Pentaxian

"Please Sir, would you be so kind as to tell me how to get to the Drive Mode Screen"?!
If I have not misunderstood.

Then press from the button on the back of the camera -> Four way control -> Select 'UP' and enter in the Menu -> then you get to Mirror-up Shooting

and from there you can choose to shoot only with Mirror Lock-up Shooting or with the remote control.

Ciao Mario

11-08-2020, 01:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maw, Prof Buzz -

No worries cpoteet - we're all here to help each oter.
There's a few things that you have to "discover" with these cameras... and the manuals sometimes have you flipping multiple pages.
A few other forum members have been really helpful to me, so I show appreciation by lending a hand when I can.
Cheers!
11-08-2020, 07:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@ProfessorBuzz - There is indeed a 3-second delay using remote option on the K-1. It is the next option over from the 2-second delay. I think it has been this way since intial release of the K-1 and not brought in with a firmware upgrade.
11-10-2020, 07:00 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@jbinpg Yes, there's a 3 second delay, but not available with Mirror Lock up mode as far as I can tell.

M.UP just has shutter release or IR release, but no delay, unlike the IR release without M.UP that has a 3 second delay.
I'm looking for a single press of the IR release to lock up the mirror, count 3 seconds, and then fire shutter.

Doesn't exist as far as I know - Or am I missing something?
11-10-2020, 01:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am pretty sure the mirror flips up at the beginning of the 3-second delay.
11-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Here goes:

OK

Same result.

I wonder why Pentax didn't retain a separate mirror-lockup button/switch like they had on the LX and 6x7 film cameras... It seems like an often-enough-used feature by serious (D)SLR photographers to keep as a separate switch without having to go into menus....
11-15-2020, 11:54 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
I wonder why Pentax didn't retain a separate mirror-lockup button/switch like they had on the LX and 6x7 film cameras... It seems like an often-enough-used feature by serious (D)SLR photographers to keep as a separate switch without having to go into menus....
Do many actually use MLU these days ? With LV and electronic shutter you can eliminate any resonance vibration caused by mirror slap/shutter shock. My experience with the K1 and a long lens (on a tripod) is that the shutter shock is more of a problem than any mirror slap.
11-16-2020, 12:04 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Peter - It might depend on the length of the exposure and the environmental conditions. Take for example winter astrophotography with temperatures well below zero. One would be faced with a decision whether to use battery-draining liveview in an environment hostile to prolonged in-camera battery use, or to use regular shutter with mirror lock up. There are some conditions where liveview may not be a good idea.
11-17-2020, 03:32 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Peter - It might depend on the length of the exposure and the environmental conditions
A good point, but mirror slap/shutter shock is only going to be evident in photos taken in a specific shutter speed range .... 1/30 - 1/200 in my experience. For long exposures you wont notice it.