Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2020, 01:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How much mental adjusting would it take moving from APC-S to full frame photography?

I grew up using my fathers cameras of which plenty of his stuff was passed on to me. Eventually I sold the film cameras and bought a Samsung GX10 (Pentax K10D) and it did feel weird at first and in many ways it does still irk me that say a 50mm lens isn't a 50mm lens as such and have to work backward in thinking what lens would I buy to fill a gap.

So if if I bought a K1 (and I have a few older Pentax-A and Tamron Adaptall lenses) would I feel the pain changing back again? Or would I quickly adjust?

I would like to upgrade my camera (still using the GX10) as I'm moving area in retirement and hoping to do much more photography, so mulling things over to make sure I make a good call.

Interested in others thoughts.

11-24-2020, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find it easy going between formats.... just the normal different lens prefferences between formats..... ie I like 50mm again on FF..... not so much on APSC.... things like dof differences at wider apertures is really only a thing photographers are fixated on for the most part I reckon (assuming focus is nailed)..... and well for long lenses.... they are never long enough anyhow..... I love my K1.... but I pick up my KP occasionally without having to change brain gears all that much.... of I could only have one camera it would be the K1 easily.
11-24-2020, 01:51 AM   #3
Unregistered User

When I turned from FF filmcamera it did not change anything for me to be honest, except for the Samsung GX-10 being a lot heavier. I just look through the viewfinder and try to catch the scene before me. That did not change. A K-1 is a lot heavier and retiring as you said I would choose an APS-C again, because it is lighter body and lenses as well. And you can use the old FF lenses. APS-C lenses on an FF give more problems. And a 50mm lens always remains a 50mm lens. I never had problems with filling a gap. I just buy a lens and see what I can do with it. And the thing is if you buy a zoomlens you can easily overcome the difference in VOF between FF and APS-C, because there are no gaps, you just fill the gap with zooming in or out. But if you do not have many APS-C optimized lenses well go for K-1. As I wrote in another post, I sometimes have the feeling that I much more like what I see in the viewfinder of the APS-C camera, than what I see in an FF one.
To be honest I would not buy a K-1 unless the price dropped significantly nor would I buy the upcoming K-3 III. But an upgrade of the Samsung GX-10, as this is an old one, might be a good idea.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 11-24-2020 at 01:57 AM. Reason: additonal information added
11-24-2020, 01:53 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A focal length of 50mm is still 50mm whether it's on an APS-C camera or a FF. All that changes is the field of view. In the end the principle of taking photo's is the same for both formats - look through the viewfinder and change your settings or your position to get the shot you want.

Having said that I've just bought a K1 after using APSC exclusively for years and it took about 10 seconds to get used to the difference. My advice....buy the K-1 - it's a hell of a camera and I don't think you'll regret it.

11-24-2020, 02:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rqy99g Quote
So if if I bought a K1 (and I have a few older Pentax-A and Tamron Adaptall lenses) would I feel the pain changing back again? Or would I quickly adjust?
Most would agree that changing from APS-C to FF is considered an upgrade and upgrade changes are less painful than 'downgrade' changes.

How quickly anyone adjusts is really up to the individual, albeit as we age, adjustment can be more challenging. It's roughly a factor of 1.5x or you can just think of it as a crop away from what you were used to.
11-24-2020, 02:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You'd adjust quickly, I'm sure. Especially if your founding stages in photography were using, essentially, a FF FOV.
What's also worth considering is that a 35mm lens on APS-C is approximate to a 50-55mm lens on FF. Or that a 50mm lens on APS-C is approximate to a 75-80mm lens on FF.
Bear that in mind and you should be able to transition easily between them with different lenses.
11-24-2020, 02:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
A focal length of 50mm is still 50mm whether it's on an APS-C camera or a FF. All that changes is the field of view. In the end the principle of taking photo's is the same for both formats - look through the viewfinder and change your settings or your position to get the shot you want.
I regularly use my lenses between APS-C and 135 film. The change in perspective is obvious but not annoying. Never had any issues. My personal problem is that I have to go really wide-range on APS-C for my architectural photography. Thus buying new glass.

11-24-2020, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rqy99g Quote
I grew up using my fathers cameras of which plenty of his stuff was passed on to me. Eventually I sold the film cameras and bought a Samsung GX10 (Pentax K10D) and it did feel weird at first and in many ways it does still irk me that say a 50mm lens isn't a 50mm lens as such and have to work backward in thinking what lens would I buy to fill a gap.

I would like to upgrade my camera (still using the GX10) as I'm moving area in retirement and hoping to do much more photography, so mulling things over to make sure I make a good call.

Interested in others thoughts.
I can't say that going from APS-C to FF was in any way difficult. In fact, I find that I shoot both formats without overthinking the focal length aspect.
11-24-2020, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow... thanks for the quick replies!

Interesting to read your comments. All very reassuring and yes @AfterPentax I do feel it is time for a change:-)

I like to ponder and think about changes before I do them, though sometimes I am guilty of over thinking!

I probably should go and physically handle a few cameras and take some of my lenses with me. I suspect that there will be issues! We are currently in lockdown and will have to wait a little longer before I can physically evaluate them in store.

Once again thank you for your replies... it helps.

Simon
11-24-2020, 02:48 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I resisted the K 1 and K 1 II because, based on the reviews, my desired " targets " didn't match what they were designed for

I even started a thread about how " dangerous " it might be to rent a full frame camera body - would I want a K 1 II afterwards

and then a forum member made me " an offer I could not refuse " on an " experienced " K 1 II

so now I have the choice:

full frame - K 1 II or

one of the SLRs if I feel brave ME Super, Super Program ( aka Super A ) or Z-1/PZ-1

or the K 3 II or K 3 for ASP-C

luckily, my lens collection allows me to do both full frame or ASP-C [ check my profile: " about me " section if curious ]

so what are your photographic " targets " and which format is better ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-24-2020 at 08:46 AM.
11-24-2020, 03:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I move between M43, ASPC and full frame and don't really think about it. You just become familiar with what the respective lenses do on each camera.
11-24-2020, 04:35 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You tend to worry a little more because a FF cost more than an ASPC, otherwise its not that big of a change...
11-24-2020, 06:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

IMO, your personal satisfaction and ease of adjusting is camera dependent. The K-1 has excellent ergonomics and is frankly a pleasure to shoot with because it truly gets out of the way during shooting. There's very little menu diving necessary beyond the first setup (read the manual and use your camera extensively for the first few days to dial in your settings). If you like to shoot portraits FF also typically gives you better bokeh when it comes to equally priced lenses because focal length multiplier also applies to aperture.
11-24-2020, 06:27 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't have any problem in switching between APS-C and FF, but I find most FF prime lenses more useful and pleasant to use on FF. Lenses designed for FF, the FOV on APS-C is just not as useful to me.

The wider the FOV is on the lens the more of a problem it becomes IMO.
FA* 24/2 becomes a very large moderate wide angle lens.
FA 28/2.8 becomes a slow normal lens.

Normal FF lenses work fairly well as a moderate tele lens on APS-C.
Long tele lenses I often find more useful on APS-C as you just can't get too much reach...
11-24-2020, 06:36 AM - 13 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Stop thinking, look through the viewfinder, you'll figure it out.