Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SimonC Quote
I grew up using my fathers cameras of which plenty of his stuff was passed on to me. Eventually I sold the film cameras and bought a Samsung GX10 (Pentax K10D) and it did feel weird at first and in many ways it does still irk me that say a 50mm lens isn't a 50mm lens as such and have to work backward in thinking what lens would I buy to fill a gap.

So if if I bought a K1 (and I have a few older Pentax-A and Tamron Adaptall lenses) would I feel the pain changing back again? Or would I quickly adjust?

I would like to upgrade my camera (still using the GX10) as I'm moving area in retirement and hoping to do much more photography, so mulling things over to make sure I make a good call.

Interested in others thoughts.
I shoot both, and within the same session. The biggest thing to be aware of is the lens selection going in. Example, if I have an FA85 on the K1 it would be silly to put a *55 on the K-70 or KP. They'd be equivalent. Instead an FA77 or a 17-50 on the crop would be better. Other than that I don't pay much attention to which camera I grab at a portrait shoot (for the most part, there are reasons to do so) just because one is FF and the other not.

Last edited by gatorguy; 12-01-2020 at 06:43 AM.
12-01-2020, 06:04 AM   #47
dlhawes

It's like going from a mild telephoto lens to a mild wide angle lens on the same camera. All that changes is the angle of view if you're using the same lens on both. So a 35mm on a KP is roughly equal to a 50mm on a K-1 (if I recall correctly).
12-01-2020, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
It's like going from a mild telephoto lens to a mild wide angle lens on the same camera. All that changes is the angle of view if you're using the same lens on both. So a 35mm on a KP is roughly equal to a 50mm on a K-1 (if I recall correctly).
And so it begins.......
12-01-2020, 08:13 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SimonC Quote
I grew up using my fathers cameras of which plenty of his stuff was passed on to me. Eventually I sold the film cameras and bought a Samsung GX10 (Pentax K10D) and it did feel weird at first and in many ways it does still irk me that say a 50mm lens isn't a 50mm lens as such and have to work backward in thinking what lens would I buy to fill a gap.

So if if I bought a K1 (and I have a few older Pentax-A and Tamron Adaptall lenses) would I feel the pain changing back again? Or would I quickly adjust?

I would like to upgrade my camera (still using the GX10) as I'm moving area in retirement and hoping to do much more photography, so mulling things over to make sure I make a good call.

Interested in others thoughts.
If you still have the lenses, that is a great idea. I had a stack of FF Nikon lenses that never quite felt right on a APS-C camera, so I bought FF Nikon D700 and instantly it felt 'normal' again. Sure, the trade-off is having to carry a bigger and heavier camera but if you are willing to do that it's worth it. Having said that, all my Pentax cameras are APC-C sensor size with matching DA lenses and I never felt that was in any way a compromise.

01-22-2021, 02:02 PM   #50
Veteran Member

For me it was easy to get used to the K1, just took a while to remember all the menu, disk, changes...so I still keep the paper manual in the bag for that one time I can’t remember how to change a specific setting. The K1 just feels to me like my original 35mm cameras and same bright view through the viewfinder. Only thing you need to get used to as everyone else mentioned, weight of camera and field of view with lenses.
01-23-2021, 11:23 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
For me it was easy to get used to the K1, just took a while to remember all the menu, disk, changes...so I still keep the paper manual in the bag for that one time I can’t remember how to change a specific setting. The K1 just feels to me like my original 35mm cameras and same bright view through the viewfinder. Only thing you need to get used to as everyone else mentioned, weight of camera and field of view with lenses.
I'm sure it's like seeing an old friend after a couple of decades: you're thinking "wow, you're so much bigger and fatter!", even if you hesitate to say it.
01-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I'm sure it's like seeing an old friend after a couple of decades: you're thinking "wow, you're so much bigger and fatter!", even if you hesitate to say it.
ROTFL! Happened last evening at the grocery store. Wife's hot friend from work 16 years ago is so...

rollie-pollie now. Cute, but certainly not the way I remembered her.

01-23-2021, 06:10 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
At least it did not grow 1 pound per year like some things in life!
01-23-2021, 08:04 PM   #54
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
To me no different than going from manual to auto trans cars ( as long as you have driven both in your past ).
04-19-2021, 07:01 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Interesting observation and have not felt this despite using the K5, K1 and MF for a few years now. I think this happens when one is using one format exclusively for some time; but I do recall the initial discomfort when switching from film to K20D. I had to go buy the lens that matched the FOV of the lens that was using with the flim camera.
04-19-2021, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Full frame is a step up in technique I think, APSC let's you get away with murder from a focusing perspective. 50/1.4 on FF is a lot more difficult to nail than on APSC. The other difference is that whereas on APSC f/4 - f/5.6 might work, you're into f/8 on FF.
04-19-2021, 11:46 PM   #57
Forum Member

It took me a little while to adjust to FF (K-1 ii) coming from APS-C (K-5) using the same lenses on both of them (D FA 24-70, DA 35, 50, 70 Limited) because I was always standing a bit too far before I looked through the viewfinder on the FF camera. But since the K-1 ii is 36 MP, crop mode is about 15 MP and I found that I could always crop in post as a last resort and not lose much at all compared to shooting with my K-5.
04-20-2021, 08:19 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My only problem, slight as it was, in switching from film to digital and FF to APS-C was getting familiar with a zoom lens. I had primes for my film (FF) cameras and my DSLRs all came equipped with zooms. I'm still looking through the viewfinder and pressing a shutter button to get a photograph.
04-20-2021, 06:38 PM   #59
Pentaxian

I shoot APS-C digital and 35mm and medium format film. Cant say Ive ever really thought about it much, the equivalencies. Normally I simply choose the lens that suits whatever I happen to be creating at the time. Focal length is one part of that and I certainly have preferences as far as that goes but some lenses just match up well with a camera body. And that may not line up with the equivalent length in another format
04-21-2021, 06:09 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I'm still looking through the viewfinder and pressing a shutter button to get a photograph.
Lol. That works on most formats and systems. Good point.