Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 120 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2021, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #211
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
1) Compressed RAW options that maintain full bit depth with smaller file sizes
K-1 (II) raw files are already compressed. Any further size reduction would imply lossy compression.

4) As much as possible, size and weight reduction.
Personally, I wouldn't want the size to decrease. Handling ergonomics are more important than pocketability.

Note that the initially ridiculously small MILCs from Sony and others have been becoming larger rather than smaller for the same reason.

11-25-2021, 12:43 AM   #212
Pentaxian

My K-1 lll wish list...
2 and 3 are likely... 1 and 4 I don't know. I'm not even convinced that would be Ricoh's goal to decrease the size of the K-1. It was for the K-3III but the K-1 line is a different animal...
There's also 5) Please keep it under $/€ 3500
edit: and 6) Please keep the GPS inside
11-25-2021, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would love to see the following on a K-1 III
1. 42 MP resolution
2. AF system of K-3 III
3. Joystick like K-3 III
4. Menu system of K-3 III
5. 8 or more FPS
6. Touch screen
7. Focus stacking in camera
8. Keep GPS in camera

I see no reason Pentax could not implement these changes with current technology. I am betting that this camera is already in the works.
11-25-2021, 03:41 AM   #214
Pentaxian

I'm really curious about the K-1iii specifications and orientation. I have a feeling that the K1iii/K-3iii duo won't be something like the Nikon D850/D500, but it remains to be seen.

Now when it comes to dimensions I would love the K-1iii to be exactly as the K-1/1ii. For me it's the perfect size and has the best feeling in my hands from all the DSLRs and MILCs I've hold and tried. The K-3iii is really good ergonomically but the K-1 grip is still the best and clearly better than the APS-C brother.

11-25-2021, 05:55 AM   #215
Lev
Veteran Member

ok my version:

1. 45MP Sensor
2. More focusing points
3. Joystick
4. More control of AF adjustments, -20 +20 instead of -10 +10 and ability to give different values based on the focal length!!
5. Ability to change focus peaking color, now it's very hard to see, I would like to change it to say pure red
6. Illuminated buttons

and all K mount lenses
11-25-2021, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #216
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
1. 42 MP resolution
2. AF system of K-3 III
3. Joystick like K-3 III
5. 8 or more FPS
6. Touch screen
8. Keep GPS in camera

I see no reason Pentax could not implement these changes with current technology. I am betting that this camera is already in the works.
Sounds like a reasonable list. Will they keep the moonlander?
11-25-2021, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #217
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Will they keep the moonlander?
I sure hope so, it's very practical IMO.

11-25-2021, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #218
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Not sure about the implications of the new prism and metering sensor on the prism housing/GPS though.
Yes, I think it's a consideration. I don't use the GPS much, but I'm glad it's there, and it's a feature I'd be unhappy to lose---and of course the astro folks would be pretty upset. It's something that makes us distinctive.

Last edited by texandrews; 11-25-2021 at 11:04 AM.
11-25-2021, 08:22 AM   #219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Yes, I think it's a consideration. I don't use the GPS much, but I'm glad it's there, and it's a feature I'd be unhappy to use---and of course the astro folks would be pretty upset. It's something that makes us distinctive.
I don't use it often, only for astro. But I'd prefer they kept it for those uses... when it's needed it's very very useful to have.
11-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #220
Pentaxian

I sure hope so, it's very practical IMO.
But its extremely deep making the K-1 a seriously fat camera.

I really like and benefit from the GPS. Haven't tried a modern implementation of Bluetooth GPS connect but I doubt its as convenient.
11-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
But its extremely deep making the K-1 a seriously fat camera.
The only thickening part is the cam housing on the backside of the camera, and that makes the moon lander about a couple mm thicker than any other implementation I've seen, it's not really *that* much thicker because of the screen.

In any case, I don't much care. It's a better implementation for my use, so any increase in thickness is a welcome trade off
11-25-2021, 12:34 PM   #222
Pentaxian

The only thickening part is the cam housing on the backside of the camera, and that makes the moon lander about a couple mm thicker than any other implementation I've seen, it's not really *that* much thicker because of the screen.

In any case, I don't much care. It's a better implementation for my use, so any increase in thickness is a welcome trade off
Sure, it's a nice design for the type of camera the K-1 is. For some of my work it makes practical sense but I've just found I value size and handling so much. My guess is I'd absolutely love the K-3 III in terms of body and handling but I don't use apsc any more. Still have k-5, K-3 II and all my lenses though...

A FF camera that gets closer to that would be amazing. I'd happily ditch features to get there.
11-25-2021, 01:52 PM - 2 Likes   #223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Given the wow factor of the K-3iii the next FF will almost certainly be exceptional.
11-27-2021, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #224
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
1. 42 MP resolution
2. AF system of K-3 III
3. Joystick like K-3 III
5. 8 or more FPS
6. Touch screen
8. Keep GPS in camera

I didn’t try K3III yet, so I cannot say whether I want joystick or its menu system. But better AF system is always great!

Touch screen is useful sometimes and it becomes somewhat a standard these days.

Focus stacking? I would love that – well, at least focus bracketing option. I don’t want the camera to do the stacking to one file, though.

Higher FPS is good for wildlife sometimes – but on K-1 the FPS itself is not a big problem. Bigger problem is small buffer and slow transfer of the files to memory cards. I have missed several great moments while waiting for the camera to be operable again.
11-27-2021, 03:30 AM   #225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Slavek Quote
I didn’t try K3III yet, so I cannot say whether I want joystick or its menu system. But better AF system is always great!

Touch screen is useful sometimes and it becomes somewhat a standard these days.

Focus stacking? I would love that – well, at least focus bracketing option. I don’t want the camera to do the stacking to one file, though.

Higher FPS is good for wildlife sometimes – but on K-1 the FPS itself is not a big problem. Bigger problem is small buffer and slow transfer of the files to memory cards. I have missed several great moments while waiting for the camera to be operable again.
Larger buffer would be great! Faster processing would be a great improvement as well.