Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 120 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2021, 12:08 AM   #76

Original Poster
That was my thought also when i thought about the next (flagship)full frame...
Something like a Sony A99II(with classical mirrorbox and k-mount of course) or a Nikon D850
I would really dig it if it would offer at least ONE CFExpress slot...

just recently the write protection slider from one of thos tinsy little SD-cards just came off.
And its not that this was an expensive one... was a sandisk top-league card.
really i hate it when this happens and its not the first time, ... not to speak of read errs...

..of course it only happens when you really do a lot of photography.
Its rather unlikely that this occurs to someone who doesnt shoot that often
But i really think a pro body should offer one pro-slot.(Didnt the Nikon D850 offer the option to choose what cardslots you want to have???)

02-16-2021, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beetee Quote
That was my thought also when i thought about the next (flagship)full frame...
Something like a Sony A99II(with classical mirrorbox and k-mount of course) or a Nikon D850
I would really dig it if it would offer at least ONE CFExpress slot...

just recently the write protection slider from one of thos tinsy little SD-cards just came off.
And its not that this was an expensive one... was a sandisk top-league card.
really i hate it when this happens and its not the first time, ... not to speak of read errs...

..of course it only happens when you really do a lot of photography.
Its rather unlikely that this occurs to someone who doesnt shoot that often
But i really think a pro body should offer one pro-slot.(Didnt the Nikon D850 offer the option to choose what cardslots you want to have???)
My D800 has one slot for an SD card and one slot for a CompactFlash card...

---------- Post added 02-16-21 at 01:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My guess is 42 MP, flippy screen, taking advantage of the K-3iii processing engine to push the FPS to 8 with a 20 shot buffer. Also it will have the K-3iii 100 focal points and tracking. And the ultra bright glass developed for the K-3iii viewfinder will be employed.

Essentially a Pentax D-850 a few years later with a few fewer FPS, pixel shift and IBIS.
That sounds pretty close to perfect for me. I'd buy that.
03-13-2021, 12:07 PM   #78

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
My D800 has one slot for an SD card and one slot for a CompactFlash card...

---------- Post added 02-16-21 at 01:53 PM ----------

That sounds pretty close to perfect for me. I'd buy that.
I would also go for that camera immediately...
IF... it would have one CFExpress Slot at least.

AND:
I really DO hope, they make a more "considerate" decision
...on their FF AF module.
Since i think the AF POINTS should spread out much further to the sides and the top and bottom of the frame.

...and on their chassis design.
Because if you look at the K-1s insides... its only half a chassis... (or 3/4) ... no idea why so...

I really cant understand the split they try with the flagship line...

All I wanna say K-1 's such a fine machine, that would actually be pretty robust,
but then they compromised that for additional wheels and gps ... wt.?
And I really dont understand, why i would like to buy a FF Pro Body with only a consumer media storage option.
Today my 3rd SD-Card is gone... (Pro Grade SanDisk)... physics is just physics and cards THAT small are much more error prone than CF or CFExpress by design...

Even if I would never switch from a K-1 to a D800 (though the D850 is tempting I give em that)
I really have to admit ... I look with envy on that CompactFlash slot of yours... since its really THAT much more robust.

My (nearly) ""father in law"" had a canon and i guess my father also had some(very early) dslr with CF
... even the AGE OLD CompactFlash Cards
with about 64MB ... man ... they still work in my OLD canon... like time has nothing on em...

If they want to build FF for the cheap, they should build it more cheap as a whole.

Just like the K-30 but with a FF sensor... I would not loose a word over such a camera offering only SD.
And I guess if they offer that along with standard lenses(that are doing very fast and accurate AF - no matter the f-stop)...
They would even sell a lot more units than the K-1 if they would offer it for a moderate price...
and gain back more marketshare.
Because thats actually what the market is missing. A "quite capable" consumer grade FF-DSLR... (everybody else seems to go only MILC)
And if all the others do that and just half heartedly try to keep their TOP-line DSLRs alive,
there are only two ways to go:
Either keep on holding onto DSLRs with FF sensors instead of just going MILC.

So you could take away as much as you can from the other brands
consumers and prosumers DSLR shooters by offering a FF-consumer DSLR
(you dont find FF in the consumer line-ups of the other makers so strong)
and every 3-4 years produce a flagship DSLR thats en par with the others MILC standards.

OR forget all the good "new year resolutions" and go all in on MILC.
(But I am pretty sure that going MILC will not work out for PENTAX because they are too late to the game... again)
03-13-2021, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
but then they compromised that for additional wheels and gps ... wt.?
I don't consider the three e-dials to be a "compromise" in any form.
I don't have a K-1, but I do have a KP.
The three e-dials allow me to control all legs of the "exposure triangle" without ever taking my eye away from the viewfinder,
and I find that to be a very good idea.

03-14-2021, 06:08 AM   #80
Pentaxian

the last apsc I used was K30 and I switched from it to ff K1, primarily because of the 3 e-wheels ie others controls without removing the views from the viewfinder (and shallow depth of field), from K30 I transfer to K1 and O-ME53, that, K30 was both smaller and lighter but also less provided and harder to use for demanding needs, I can not understand people who don't know or don't want and can't accept compromises of certain devices for certain purposes with a certain quality of their use and final result

Last edited by mbukal; 03-14-2021 at 06:28 AM.
03-14-2021, 07:07 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why would anyone consider a third e-dial a compromise? It adds functionality at very little cost.

The GPS is almost mandatory on a field camera like the K-1, so the full magnesium chassis has to go to allow for it.

Also, CF cards fail as much as SDs, they work on the same principle. Anecdotal "but my card died" experience is not relevant.
03-14-2021, 07:22 AM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Why would anyone consider a third e-dial a compromise? It adds functionality at very little cost.

The GPS is almost mandatory on a field camera like the K-1, so the full magnesium chassis has to go to allow for it.

Also, CF cards fail as much as SDs, they work on the same principle. Anecdotal "but my card died" experience is not relevant.
specifically the e-wheel, just like that, gives far more possibilities than the cost of making and increasing the total mass / volunen, for one for whom 3 e-wheels are too big and too heavy a combination to use a photo body without so much external control, such users should accept compromise less flexibility in use, not to emphasize that there is no flexibility as with e.g.3 e-wheels,
again specifically that K1 has faster writing on SC cards no one would even mention CF as something very important

Last edited by mbukal; 03-14-2021 at 07:34 AM.
03-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
specifically the e-wheel, just like that, gives far more possibilities than the cost of making and increasing the total mass / volunen, for one for whom 3 e-wheels are too big and too heavy a combination to use a photo body without so much external control, such users should accept compromise less flexibility in use, not to emphasize that there is no flexibility as with e.g.3 e-wheels,
again specifically that K1 has faster writing on SC cards no one would even mention CF as something very important
Yeah, the K-1's problem is not that it doesn't have CF cards, it's that it's several years behind in write speed. Fast SD cards should be able to write at about 3 times the rate of the K-1...
03-14-2021, 11:37 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Yeah, the K-1's problem is not that it doesn't have CF cards, it's that it's several years behind in write speed. Fast SD cards should be able to write at about 3 times the rate of the K-1...
I think that UHSII is here to stay, what is is K-3III. Perhaps 2 of those?

Not sure if EXPRESS cardslot would bring on the table other than more expensive cards. It is not going to be 30 FPS with 200 picture buffer. I'd say 8 FPS and 20 or even 40 pic buffer is what it will be at max and for many this is more than enough. If it is not, then it has been a wrong brand choose to begin with.
03-14-2021, 11:46 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I think that UHSII is here to stay, what is is K-3III. Perhaps 2 of those?

Not sure if EXPRESS cardslot would bring on the table other than more expensive cards. It is not going to be 30 FPS with 200 picture buffer. I'd say 8 FPS and 20 or even 40 pic buffer is what it will be at max and for many this is more than enough. If it is not, then it has been a wrong brand choose to begin with.
Equally to the point, the K-3iii is Pentax's action camera - where burst speed and buffer capacity are important - and the K-1 line is for landscape - and mountains hardly ever move very fast.
03-14-2021, 12:45 PM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Equally to the point, the K-3iii is Pentax's action camera - where burst speed and buffer capacity are important - and the K-1 line is for landscape - and mountains hardly ever move very fast.
Imagine if they would, all of a sudden (could happen at Iceland, for example) you'd need all the burst you need.

I still think that UHS-II is here to stay, it ill open many possibilities for FF and 645 line. Point is as you kind of said too. There is not really need for more in Pentaxland. Many other companyes has gone back and forth with SD and C Fexpress, just because SD is still quite handy and affordable. Some of them now offers all of those options almost. but those cameras do actually need most of that too, but the thing is do they need it all the time, or just sometimes. or...then it might not be needed.
03-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #87

Original Poster

*rolleyes* ... Gotta love the confusion...
Again:
Its not about the e-dials..
Because they have been there since K-7
And sit exactly where you need them.
One on the back where your thumb is..
And one on the front of the grip where the pointing finger finds it immediately.
And yes you are right... With those 2 and the actual mode dial.
That was also there on the K-7 already and a lot of other traditional models,
you dont have to lift your Eye from the viewfinder.
100% correct congrats.
Especially if you read the manual
Changing ISO via holding the iso button and turning the rear e-dial is easy ...
Not holding ISO-Button and turning it will set the aperture...
Whilst most of the time you would change the time with the front e-dial.
You can do a lot of configurations.
which already open an overwhelming amount of possibilities...
Right so far. But...could you tell a grownup,
what kind of advantage do I get from additional wheels that offer redundant functionality thats already there in a lot of ways??
What else do they add to the design of our cams, than
3-5mm protruding moving weakpoints that may make me think im holding a fuji.. What?
Sry I dont get the point even if you repeat your mantras again and again.
Its the same with those new japanese designs that add weird looking shiny application element to kind modern touchy grip "beleathering".
I once chose a K-5IIs over a D600 . And i did not that because the K-5IIs looked fancier and had a lot of fancy input elements...

And no... CF Cards do not fail as often as SDs because they actually dont .
And CFExpress will also be nearly 100% unlikely too fail ...easy as that.
And that has nothing to do with a one-day experience.
A lot of expertise tells me that.
Physics tell you that. Because there is much more space ...
The small room SDs offer causes a lot of heat.
Get your bacon ready gentlemen...
There is also no and I said NO space left for fallback
""banks"" and SD's are very unlikely to offer SLC-grade cells because of the space.
Also not the slightest chance for any kind of good ECC.
So there is not even the slightest chance you can say an SD can be on the same level as an CFExpress or XQD. Read it slowly: NOT A CHANCE.
There is a good reason broadcasting cameras dont use SD... but they do/did use CF,XQD, CFExpress.
Sry for you guys but if you want
Real "PRO GEAR" you will need PRO MEMORY MEDIA

And if 20 Pro-SD guys together hop in a circle and tell each other to have a good time... Then yeah ...
Youll have a good time...
But you will not change fact.
You will not change physics.
Sry I have to say so.
But what this brand needs is honesty from their customers. Otherwise they wont change anything.
We will never profit fromthis "nah everythings a okay"..

Or do you really believe that?
03-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Again:
And one on the front of the grip where the pointing finger finds it immediately.
100% correct congrats.
what kind of advantage do I get from additional wheels that offer redundant functionality thats already there in a lot of ways??
3-5mm protruding moving weakpoints that may make me think im holding a fuji.. What?
Its the same with those new japanese designs that add weird looking shiny application element to kind modern touchy grip "beleathering".
I once chose a K-5IIs over a D600 . And i did not that because the K-5IIs looked fancier and had a lot of fancy input elements...

""banks"" and SD's are very unlikely to offer SLC-grade cells because of the space.
So there is not even the slightest chance you can say an SD can be on the same level as an CFExpress or XQD. Read it slowly: NOT A CHANCE.
There is a good reason broadcasting cameras dont use SD... but they do/did use CF,XQD, CFExpress.

And if 20 Pro-SD guys together hop in a circle and tell each other to have a good time... Then yeah ...
Sry I have to say so.
But what this brand needs is honesty from their customers. Otherwise they wont change anything.

Beetee, do me a favour:
Bring me statistics on card failure rates, overheating, and assorted other issues. Peer reviewed, please. Since you purport to talk about physics and claim expertise, I'm sure you can find something to support those claims beyond a "trust me".

Otherwise, don't preach opinion as fact.

Regarding the e-dials, I have used a K-7 before, coincidentally. The K-1 blasts it out of the water in comfort and speed of use.
The third wheel adds faster functionality right where I want it, particularly while using gloves. Have you tried pressing the ISO/EVcomp. buttons while wearing thick gloves? I have the feeling you haven't.
I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to tell me how my cameras can be used when I know that very well.

Next time you complain about a "protruding weakpoint" you may want to take a look at the prism. Or at the mode dial. And while you're at it, throw some statistics my way that show that it's a relevant failure point for the device.
03-17-2021, 11:58 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Again:
100% correct congrats.

Sry I have to say so.

For you, turning a dial while holding in a button may be “easy”, but I would much rather just turn a dial - and it is much much easier to remember.
I don’t know what the stats are, but my experience says that a SD card is much much safer than are the protruding pins connected with a CF card socket; in addition, SD cards are smaller, and seem these days to be much more standard as to what other manufacturers use.

Last edited by reh321; 03-17-2021 at 12:13 PM.
03-17-2021, 12:11 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
For you, turning a dial while holding in a button may be “easy”, but I would much rather just turn a dial - and it is much much easier to remember.
I don’t know what the stats are, but my experience says that a SD card is much much safer than are the protruding pins connected with a CF card socket.
For the record, all the equipment I've handled (both in chemical industry and research labs) uses SD cards for media storage when it's not a computer. Clearly it's good enough for equipment worth a lot - sometimes north of six figures.