Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2020, 02:42 AM   #1

PENTAX K-8 ? K-1 Mark II successor... What will it be/look like?

K-1 Mark II successor...
What will it look like?

• What specs will it offer?
  • Will it outperform the new K-3III?
  • If not will it sell at all?
  • Are we still fond of those...
    (IMHO superfluous super-redundance offering)
    ... wheels on top of the camera?
I mean which (in addition to the housing under the hotshoe)
are the first things to go caput if you drop your gear
and it hits the floor with its top/shoulder?

• Will we need more than 50mp?
    or would even 42MP be enough?

I personally like the design of the 645Z a bit more than the design of the K-1.
If you take away the immense medium-format mirror-box on the mount-side of the 645Z,
wouldnt this be the ideal design for a full frame K-Mount
Professional Camera??

Admitted, I like the idea of having a Joystick to choose focus points.
But other than that?
I mean choosing "video", "off", "normal", "liveView" should be possible to choose with the lever around the shutter release?
What do I need an extra dial to do so for? That stands off about half an inch or so?

Mode dial, front e-dial and rear e-dial are enough dials for my taste, since I feel buttons are much less
error prone than wheels.

I used to remember when after 5 years of intense use or so the time-dial of the 645N models would come off and
generally feel that i would profit from a more "Canon 5D"ish design(With just a bit less buttons.*) in the next K-mount full frame.
*I mean you can overdo it on every side.

Another reason I dont like those wheels:
I DONT need my Pentax to look like a Fuji to be cool, because its actually already a PENTAX or is it not?

The design I liked the most was the Design of the K-5II but despite those

useless additional wheels...
[which actually EVERYBODY would trade in for TILTY-FLIPPY-SCREEN immediately]

... I also like the design of this new K-3III and think its a good thing,
that they chose durability and a full shell over this cheap GPS-inside marketing trick for the new APS-C flagship.

Last edited by dave_roe; 12-31-2020 at 02:20 PM.
12-31-2020, 03:00 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess is that similar to the jump from the K-5 to K-3, the K-1 III (or whatever it might end up being called) will have a very similar body to the original K-1, with targeted improvements to the ergonomics and upgraded internal hardware based on what was developed for the K-3 III.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-31-2020, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, there's a lot there, but just on the final point - I like onboard GPS - I find it very useful to have the location information embedded in my images, but I never found I could justify the cost of a separate unit. I do realise that there's a trade-off in the robustness of the prism housing, and my cameras do get hard use, but to me it's been worth it - so far at least - not a marketing trick, but something genuinely useful, IMHO
12-31-2020, 04:54 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

I think it will look like a K-1 sized K-3 mkIII but with a moon landing tilt screen.
45Mps should be enough and with the gizzards of the K-3 mk3.
I like the wheels.

12-31-2020, 05:17 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

I think the K-1 II successor will have faster electronics, allowing for increased burst performance.

I hope it will
  • have a BSI sensor.
  • feature a larger top LCD.
  • provide visual feedback about the current third-wheel option selections at the top LCD.
  • further refine AF performance.
  • offer a RAW histogram.
  • include a highlight-protection exposure mode.
  • introduce automatic micro AF-adjustments.
  • allow zooming into previews that have 100% resolution in order to judge critical sharpness.
  • make the use of in-camera RAW processing optional.
  • retain everything that is great about the K-1 (II). I appreciate the size and don't mind the weight; as a matter of fact, I like it as the mass helps with stabilising hand-held shots.

Much faster WiFi transmission would be nice so that one can monitor images on a tablet/PC while shooting, in particular, if the in-camera zooming into previews with 100% resolution won't be implemented.

Last edited by Class A; 11-30-2021 at 02:01 PM.
12-31-2020, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The dials do feel a bit fragile but I've not had any durability issues with mine on the K-1. I have cracked the prism housing..

I like the dials on the K-1 and find them an improvement over K-3II/K-5. The K-3 III seems to have improved things considerably again and could be coming close to perfection. The camera, live view, video dial is protected by the prism and unlikely to break by fall. I've said before that one more simplifications step like the K-3III and we're golden.

My hope for the next camera would be a FF KP K-3III mixup. I'm not going back to apsc but would like a more compact body than the K-1. Fixed screen, simplified UI further miniaturization. I shoot a lot of tripod but I also want a camera that I can carry around more casually. Reducing the depth of the K-1 would make a big difference.
12-31-2020, 08:50 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is probably way too early to speculate about such a camera.

12-31-2020, 09:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why would someone prefer the fixed screen? K-3III is a very well thought out APS-C, except for the screen. The successor of a FF if that happens in the next few years, would have more than 40mp, not because you need them, but competition is surely going to be at least in that range, faster bursts (to lure more sports etc lovers) and improving AF would be a fantastic development for all users (but also a great marketing point).
I know many would think that Ricoh doesn’t follow the competition or the market trends but I think a new FF is mainly targeted to pro photography. Technical and comparable performance will be the deciding factor.
12-31-2020, 09:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I would not put too much stress on that screen, fixed or not. Still I think that if they will follow K-1 philosophy, there will be ‘moon landing deck’ on next one too, because it will be on tripod more. Hopefully bigger prism(like K-33, but bigger and buttons and joystick too).

42/45mp, why not. I still think that 36 is very good.

Super. ISO.
Fast 9 fps with superb new shutter system
Fast AF from K-33 and very good tracking.
Bigger buffer.

That is it, and that would be more than enough
12-31-2020, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beetee Quote
Are we still fond of those...(IMHO superfluous super-redundance offering)... wheels on top of the camera?
Mode dial, front e-dial and rear e-dial are enough dials for my taste, since I feel buttons are much lesserror prone than wheels.
QuoteQuote:
Another reason I dont like those wheels:
I DONT need my Pentax to look like a Fuji to be cool, because its actually already a PENTAX or is it not?
So I guess you don't like wheels.........
Personally I am a big fan, I quite like the wheels on the K-1
QuoteQuote:
Admitted, I like the idea of having a Joystick to choose focus points.
Since I never change focus points I think the joystick is a waste of space and should be replaced with another wheel. (/joking)
I personally like the design of the 645Z a bit more than the design of the K-1.
Personally I like the design of the K-1 more.
over this cheap GPS-inside marketing trick
I won't be buying a K-3III because it does not have a GPS. Rather than a "cheap marketing trick" it is a requirement for my work so not having it has cost them a K-3III customer. And the same would be true in any future camera.

I'm guessing that our preferred design of cameras is considerably different.
12-31-2020, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Heaven forbid I mention Nikon, but I can imagine a d850 level camera. 45 MP, Pentax K1 ergonomics, SR, and all of the inner/extra goodies from the K3-III, perhaps even a brighter viewfinder. It should be a smoken camera, albeit expensive.
12-31-2020, 09:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Super. ISO.
Fast 9 fps with superb new shutter system
Fast AF from K-33 and very good tracking.
Bigger buffer.
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
42/
MP.Likely,but Ricoh used the latest crop sensor for the new K3,so perhaps/maybe the 61mp from the A7R4(?).

All highly probable by 2022 is my guess.[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by surfar; 12-31-2020 at 10:07 AM.
12-31-2020, 10:35 AM   #13

Well, we don't know yet how good the new AF system in K-3 III is, and we don't know also how good 4k video implementation will be. But if AF will be good enough and video usable - all I want in new FF Pentax is new sensor, same AF module as in K-3 III and video 4k 4:2:2 10 internal. Yes, some small changes in body - little bit bigger top screen, for example, and maybe new pentaprism utilizing same technology as K-3 III will be nice as well. Add faster and longer series in burst mode and I'll be happy...
12-31-2020, 10:35 AM   #14

I'm with you!!! I love the wheels (I really miss the options of that wheel from my KP after switching to the K-1.

GPS and the astro-tracer are awesome and I use my GPS non-stop.

My only real wishes would be for a better AF and some better live view and video options. Don't even care too much about the buffer or more mp. Oh, well, of course I'd appreciate even more dynamic range
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So I guess you don't like wheels.........
Personally I am a big fan, I quite like the wheels on the K-1
Since I never change focus points I think the joystick is a waste of space and should be replaced with another wheel. (/joking)
Personally I like the design of the K-1 more.
I won't be buying a K-3III because it does not have a GPS. Rather than a "cheap marketing trick" it is a requirement for my work so not having it has cost them a K-3III customer. And the same would be true in any future camera.

I'm guessing that our preferred design of cameras is considerably different.
12-31-2020, 11:12 AM - 6 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcleoud151 Quote
My only real wishes would be for a better AF and some better live view and video options. Don't even care too much about the buffer or more mp.
I sometimes wonder if there is something wrong with me. I have no need for more megapixels, higher ISO, larger buffer, faster frame rate, more AF points, better AF, flippy screen, quieter shutter, more or less wheels or any of the other things hyped to be required in a new camera. And despite my complaints I don't absolutely 'need' a GPS in the camera, though it certainly makes things easier for me.

What I really need is more time to make interesting images with the gear I already have.