Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 120 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2021, 06:00 AM   #226

i think sony 45mp not the 60mp faster AF no baked in noise reduction like the pentax k-1 mk2 which i have just purchased and to be honest doesnt bother me as i stay below iso 640
the thing that would stop me purchasing this camera is if pentax make a foolish mistake and dont use a tilt type screen like the k-1 and k-1 mk2 this is so useful in so many situations

relase day knowing pentax 2023 i would rather they take the time and get it rite

11-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #227

QuoteOriginally posted by andy271 Quote
i think sony 45mp not the 60mp faster AF no baked in noise reduction like the pentax k-1 mk2 which i have just purchased and to be honest doesnt bother me as i stay below iso 640
the thing that would stop me purchasing this camera is if pentax make a foolish mistake and dont use a tilt type screen like the k-1 and k-1 mk2 this is so useful in so many situations

relase day knowing pentax 2023 i would rather they take the time and get it rite
I've got a D850 as well as a 645Z.

The Sony 45mp is amazing - at base ISO tbh a dead heat between the 645z and D850. I had a D810 which has the same sensor as the K1 - good- but not in the league of the 45mp.

Resolution wise 45mp is fine...but 50mp or the 63 would be preferable.

Critism of the D850. It's not that well made - the plastic flip out screen seems very flimsy compared to the 645z and I can tell it's not as well weather sealed. Dust bunnies get in despite using a weather sealed internal zooming lens (and never taking it off).

If you never take off the 28-45 you don't get any extra dust spots inside the 645z - both lens and body are well sealed. Now - use a non sealed lens on a 645z and they get in double quick.

I cannot stand sensor dirt and high quality sealing keeps a lot of it away. I am itching for the K1 mk3 to come out and I can use superior sealed len's on it.
11-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #228
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andy271 Quote

Exactly - baking in NR in K1II and K3III is hughe step back for me for both bodies. Just WHY not get the users the option to switch that thing off??? I love to shoot deep-sky astrophotography when you want to dig out every detail and signal possible from the noise. It is not visible on single shots, but after propper processing you can dig it out from the data. But you have to have unprocessed data to do so

I can add my signature under your statement woth the screen!

These two arguments were the main points why I did not bought the K3III... and the price was the third one. But mostly those two.

So I just wait for K-1III and hope they will keep the tilt screen at least
11-28-2021, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #229
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Slavek Quote
Exactly - baking in NR in K1II and K3III is hughe step back for me for both bodies. Just WHY not get the users the option to switch that thing off??? I love to shoot deep-sky astrophotography when you want to dig out every detail and signal possible from the noise. It is not visible on single shots, but after propper processing you can dig it out from the data. But you have to have unprocessed data to do so
For me - who spent most of his working life at the computer, and doesn't want to spend another moment more than he has to - the 'accelerator' was a gigantic step forward. The answer from the Pentax folk - that making its use switchable "is not possible" - is good enough for me, as is the review by the astronomy photographers who never found a star missing.
Pentax K-1 Mark II Astrophotography Review – Lonely Speck

added: besides, noise reduction is only part of the picture - the 'accelerator' also gives Dynamic Range a significant boost

Last edited by reh321; 11-28-2021 at 01:54 PM.
11-28-2021, 02:04 PM   #230
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Agree about not wanting to work at the computer

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
For me - who spent most of his working life at the computer, and doesn't want to spend another moment more than he has to - the 'accelerator' was a gigantic step forward. The answer from the Pentax folk - that making its use switchable "is not possible" - is good enough for me, as is the review by the astronomy photographers who never found a star missing.

added: besides, noise reduction is only part of the picture - the 'accelerator' also gives Dynamic Range a significant boost
I want the camera to produce the picture that I want.
11-28-2021, 02:17 PM - 2 Likes   #231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The increase in DR is a direct consequence of reducing the noise floor - you get the same end result with normal noise reduction.
11-28-2021, 03:39 PM   #232
Forum Member

Yes, you are right - I can recall reading somewhere, that this "feature" in K1II and K3III cannot be switched off :-( Still, better than what Sony was doing (resulting in "star-eating" as mentioned in that article) or Nikon that baked in RAW files cropped histograms (cutting off part of the blacks so the black was black and less noisy which looks better in the tests).

The "built-in-RAW NR" is probably not an issue for most of the users as it will be rather beneficial. Also - I am using K-1 for wide-angle astrophotography. I have modified K-5 body to shoot Deep-Sky where it is necessary to have RAW files that are really raw. But it’s quite sad for me to know that any newer bodies will be affected by this. On the other side - any new Pentax body will be very expensive and therefore it won't make any sense to buy it just for astro - there are better options like cooled dedicated monochromatic CMOS cameras to do the job... I should stop be bothered by this, right?

11-29-2021, 03:33 AM   #233
Pentaxian

I have K-3III, and I also have K-1. New things with Accelerator MK2 is amazing. Sure, someone might get similar(?) result by PP. But ISO above 1600 even with K-1 does need cleaning up. And this will lead loss in details. That said I can easy shoot K-3III with ISO 3200, not loosing any detail, and it does have less impact from artificial light source. Like when you shoot in city after/during sunset. THIS is very hard to do in post correctly, with my skills. Well now I do not need to.

Image quality from K-3III is rivaling even K-1.

Imagine what K-1III could do…I’m all in for accelerator MK.2 for next K-1 series.
Really.
11-29-2021, 08:14 AM   #234

I think whatever they do it will be a great camera the k-1 and mk 2 are very well made and if they can improve the AF they will do well but give your cutomers the choice of noise reduction on or off done force it on to us as a lot will not like that approach
11-29-2021, 12:21 PM   #235
Pentaxian

It will be there, there is no other way, or it would be quite surprising if it was not. Accelerator. Wast majority will not see it as negative thing.
11-29-2021, 01:33 PM   #236

Since I know Pentax is reading this and so my vote here will count, this is what I would like:

Z9 lite i.e same sensor, no physical shutter
Improved AF starting with k3III improvements
Slightly faster burst rate, deeper buffer, faster buffer clearing

Same physical body size but lighter
Brighter viewfinder, use live view and the on-sensor phase detect pixels for focusing in the dark
I am ok with no gps, same setup as k3III, I will buy the o-gps
11-29-2021, 03:03 PM   #237
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote
Since I know Pentax is reading this and so my vote here will count, this is what I would like:

Z9 lite i.e same sensor, no physical shutter
Improved AF starting with k3III improvements
Slightly faster burst rate, deeper buffer, faster buffer clearing

Same physical body size but lighter
Brighter viewfinder, use live view and the on-sensor phase detect pixels for focusing in the dark
I am ok with no gps, same setup as k3III, I will buy the o-gps
Lol!

Yes, they are monitoring at all times.

Talking about stacked sensor for faster readout and super fast ES. I’m quite sure that it could cost some serious €€€. Keeping the mirror? Stacked sensors might be the future all in all? Not sure?
11-29-2021, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #238
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Slavek Quote

I can add my signature under your statement woth the screen!

These two arguments were the main points why I did not bought the K3III... and the price was the third one. But mostly those two.

So I just wait for K-1III and hope they will keep the tilt screen at least
My understanding is that the way it works in the pipeline, it's not possible to "turn it off". In principal I agree with all who wish it were otherwise, but honestly I haven't had a single instance where it was a problem. And you can always "turn it off" by shooting at or below iso 640.
11-29-2021, 05:24 PM   #239
Forum Member

Well, the only application I can think of where it can cause any problems is in DeepSky astrophotography (especially faint objects and details like dust nebulae) and there you are usually using ISO 800 - 1600 (6400). In normal life situations I wouldn't find it problematic at all (including wide-angle night shootings) or even beneficial. But as I wrote - in this case, problem can be solved by using (modified) older bodies that are still very capable, like K-5 (myself now), K-3 or K3II or switch to "pro-level" with monochromatic cameras.
11-29-2021, 08:50 PM   #240
Forum Member

Pentax work at developments slowly. Maybe that is why the lenses if looked after just carry on working.