Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 120 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2021, 01:23 AM   #256
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Other than that name of K-1III and possibly that 60MP it is possible.
Actually, from the experience of using Pentax DFA glass (zooms), I am not so sure now if 61Mpixel sensor is the best choice. Glass has limits to how good it performs (aberrations etc.), and sometimes more megapixels with the same glass is just a waste of memory space. Maybe there are other than 61Mpix sensors that perform better overall, such as faster read times, better dynamic range. Looking at the second hand market, a number of A7RIV for sale used, no sure why, maybe upgrades to A1 or medium format, I don't know.

12-25-2021, 02:25 AM   #257
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Actually, from the experience of using Pentax DFA glass (zooms), I am not so sure now if 61Mpixel sensor is the best choice. Glass has limits to how good it performs (aberrations etc.), and sometimes more megapixels with the same glass is just a waste of memory space. Maybe there are other than 61Mpix sensors that perform better overall, such as faster read times, better dynamic range. Looking at the second hand market, a number of A7RIV for sale used, no sure why, maybe upgrades to A1 or medium format, I don't know.
It is hard to say. There are also other issues with RIV, like weather seals and freezing up, and what more, not sure since I’m not that interested. Also A1 is told to be the ‘best’ one can buy. Many advantages over that model if one has enough money those top models from 3 brands seem to go for 45 mp. But wait for 80 MP sensors. Just around the corner…

So, if Pentax will manage to do their magic with 61, with enough speed and very good DR(still with so many MP) it might not be bad move.

That said, it is a lot of MP. But it seem to be where we are heading all in all..? This might be why there are some engineers with idea with smaller MP FF around. I have no idea what will it be. I do like 36 MP on K-1, I like 26 MP with K-3III. Lower than 36 on FF does not attract me. Why. Because K-3III is ‘as good’ or even better, that is why.
12-25-2021, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #258
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The 61mpixel sensor is excellent. That is not why they are selling A7R4 cameras. They are upgrading to A1 or, now, even more often, to the A7IV. The A74 has a number of new features including their latest processor. Faster readout only comes with the stacked sensor designs of the A9 series and the A1. Nikon seems to be doing something similar now.
12-25-2021, 08:44 AM   #259
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the question of MP's has become an interesting one again here in 2021, in a way that it hasn't been for a while. I'm using the Z at work, and now the digital assets manager has told me that for everything but catalog, reference images, and a few wild-hairs graphics applications, I should limit my tiff files to 100mb---which is 16" on the long side at 300ppi. It's a lot less than I could deliver. This is at a major museum. Now, not every museum is like this to be sure, and for reference images the sky's the limit, really. But it does beg the question about just what is truly needed.

Yes, I'd like to see more mp, and with a Z replacement I could accept speed attenuations to get it. Not with the K1, though. There I need a speedier camera---not sports level, but faster than the Z.

Like I said, an interesting question! I'll bet it's an interesting one for the engineers and management as well!

12-25-2021, 12:09 PM   #260

the camera industry to me has gone far to quick and the prices are not afforadable to most folks atleast with pentax taking there time they make a camera that is like a tank and wonerful ergonomics just a bit faster would be nice but keep to the same quality 60 mega pixels would be future proof in my opinion
12-25-2021, 09:14 PM   #261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anybody used Lightroom's new uprezzing feature yet? I not, you've probably used someone else's. With LR, 36 MPx becomes 144MPx in about a minute. That's plenty of excessive data for my purposes, even three-foot wide prints.
12-25-2021, 11:57 PM   #262
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Up-scaling pictures and sharpening does work, to some extent, to increase the perception of detail, but that's not like true higher resolution. I compared K1 pixel shift up-sampled to 645Z and GFX50S images , I couldn't tell the difference on details, but pixel shift only works when everything is perfect. Forget about getting anything out pixel shift when taking landscape images and there is a bit of wind , even slight wind on the tripod is enough to screw up entire pixel shift exposures.