Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2021, 12:30 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't really care about the exact pixel count - as long as it is equal or above the current 36MP and maintains the dynamic range. I would expect Pentax to go for a BSI sensor in order to maximize the effective area. What I'm seriously looking for is a faster sensor: When I use life view with the flexible back screen for 'hunting' insect at places that are inaccessible with the OVF, screen refresh is rather slow and - even worse - shutter lag is really bad. There is anyway an implementation issue on the K-1 with shutter in M-UP, it may be related: Even with the mechanical shutter, 2nd press to release takes about 3x longer (~200ms) than without M-UP. For comparison, on the K-5, M-UP brings down the shutter lag (2nd press) from 70ms down to less than 10ms ... Still need to measure the KP, but its screen lacks the positioning flexibility that I really like on the K-1.

03-02-2021, 01:09 AM   #32
Pentaxian

The K-1 sensor is still excellent compared to the competition. The next K-1iii (most probably) will have a higher resolution sensor and that comes from their statement about the DFA* series lenses that have been designed to match the performance of the future high resolution sensors.

What I want to see is a very careful choice of the sensor Pentax will "tweak" according to her specs so as to get the reknown Pentax IQ out of it. They did that with the 36Mb Sony sensor and the K-1 is better than the D810. The D850 is not as impressive as the D810 in terms of IQ and having shot and seen many comparative images, I can say that I'm not impressed by the D850 despite the high resolution sensor. The images are less contrasty and with a strange noise pattern even in low ISO values.

If this is the next K-1 sensor I wish Pentax does her miracle or use a better sensor to begin with (regardless of the Mb count).

Anyway, we have much time until the K-1iii is revealed and until then K-3iii is more important both as a camera and as a performance indicator of what to expect from next Pentax FF in many terms like AF, SR evolution, IQ- highISO improvement etc
03-02-2021, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's what Sony Semiconductor offers publicly:
Products?Image Sensor?Consumer Camera?products?Sony Semiconductor Solutions Group
03-02-2021, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sony has the 61.2 MP FF IMX455 sensor available under in security and industry section.
Products?Image Sensor?Security?Products?Sony Semiconductor Solutions Group
Products?Image Sensor?Industry?Products?Sony Semiconductor Solutions Group

The IMX455 sensor ihas been used in several cameras for telescopes. Both RGB and monocrome versions. One version: QHY600 60mega pixel Full Frame Astronomical Cooled CMOS with IMX455 CMOS sensor - cooled cmos camera Polarize camera - QHYCCD Astronomical Cameras

One advantage for Pentax using this sensor is that it is the same sensor tech as the 26MP sensor in K3 III, and in a possible future 100MP crop 645 camera (or a 150MP near FF 645 camera). That could possibly save time in both hardware and software design for both FF and 645.

03-02-2021, 11:23 AM - 3 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
If this is the next K-1 sensor I wish Pentax does her miracle or use a better sensor to begin with (regardless of the Mb count).
I agree, the Pentax K1 raws are better processed than D810 series, much less chroma noise (if any at all in the K1). I also like the lossless compressed DNG from Pentax cameras, Pentax DNG half the size of Nikon raw files, nice for archival. If I want generic DNG from most other brands I need to convert them. Only Leica and Panasonic produce DNG, if I'm not wrong. I would much prefer that all cameras produce raw compliant to the same standard.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-02-2021 at 11:30 AM.
03-02-2021, 02:28 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Overall, seeing what we currently have available, the K1/K1II as compared to a number of somewhat recent offerings from Canon, Nikon and Sony, the "dated" K1 has essentially held its own across the last 5 years pretty well. Even against higher pixel count and "new" technologies, in terms of image quality Pentax is not doing so badly.

In terms of apples to apples comparisons, there are really very few consistent comparisons available. I do have to say, Cameraville up to the point where he sold his K1, did provide some reasonable comparisons.

Canon R5 vs Nikon Z7 vs Pentax K1- Comparison | Image Quality

Nikon D810 vs Sony A7r vs Pentax K1 | Battle of 36 mp camera

Sony A7rIII vs Pentax K1 vs Nikon D850 Image Sensor Quality Test - Real World Test

Nikon Z6 II Vs Canon RP | Image Quality Test

This does not address the recent Panasonic full frame - but for the main competitors, it's a reasonable list.

The question is where does Pentax take us from here - what features and capabilities, using what technology - using what sensors, providing what specific end results. So far, they have been slow, but have produced products that for the most part have stood the test of time. You have give Pentax credit for making some pretty reasonable strategic selections, along with tactical choices that still are pretty competitive.

I would suspect that Pentax will continue to make intelligent choices for the product line in to the future.

03-17-2021, 01:21 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Only 24MP are currently on Sony's takeout list.But the low pixel Pentax probably won't use it.
- 42Mp sensor SONY for private use.
- 45Mp sensor Nikon custom.
- 62Mp sensor,no third party use has been seen yet, but sources say the Sima FP L will be used. Pentax is most likely to be this CMOS.
IMX455 the sensor?

"61.17 M effective pixels at high-speed of 3.9 frame/s in still picture mode"
https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products/common/pdf/IMX455AQK-K_Flyer.pdf

I hope for more than 4 fps. 45 mp might be a compromise to get about 7 fps.
Ricoh/Pentax should be able to get a custom sensor?

03-17-2021, 05:29 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

Imo anyone asking for a cheap ff body should just get the K-1. I've been using it since 2016 and I've yet to see a camera with better IQ.

Next K-1 will probably be high spec, and more expensive, something in $2500 range perhaps. If it is a high mp body, I hope they'll have an option for smaller mp raws (I think nikon has it), I would hate to process 45-60mp raws for travel pics, it's just an overkill.

If they focus on af, low light performance, and ibis improvements I'd be happy to upgrade.
03-17-2021, 05:52 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Imo anyone asking for a cheap ff body should just get the K-1. I've been using it since 2016 and I've yet to see a camera with better IQ.

Next K-1 will probably be high spec, and more expensive, something in $2500 range perhaps. If it is a high mp body, I hope they'll have an option for smaller mp raws (I think nikon has it), I would hate to process 45-60mp raws for travel pics, it's just an overkill.

If they focus on af, low light performance, and ibis improvements I'd be happy to upgrade.
I was just thinking of this. I’d love to upgrade to higher spec K-1 as well as you. But yes. Not propably camera for holiday pics.
03-17-2021, 12:02 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I like the idea of adjustable mp raws! I wonder if you can get more fps that way also?
03-17-2021, 12:38 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
62Mp sensor,no third party use has been seen yet, but sources say the Sima FP L will be used. Pentax is most likely to be this CMOS.
That is a good guess. Pentax would use it if Sony makes it available. I hope they do as it will give me the "medium format" resolution I have been looking for!!

---------- Post added 03-17-21 at 12:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Obviously not...although I don't actually see this as obsessing over it.
Although I am totally happy with my K1's resolution a 70% boost (36 to 61) in resolution cannot hurt. I have been wanting to get a 645 but that would require a whole new set of lenses and a different body. With a 60MP K1 successor, I get to use the same lenses I already have and perhaps get one more lens to fill the wide angle gap. My guess is that Pentax has given up on the 645 platform. Fuji owns that space now (unfortunately!). So if there is no 645, then they should at least give us a higher res K1. That would stop me from jumping ship to Fuji. If they give us a little better video specs, I can get rid of my Fuji X cameras (for video work) and go all in with Pentax.

Last edited by btnapa; 03-17-2021 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typo
03-17-2021, 01:46 PM   #42
Pentaxian

If it is a high mp body, I hope they'll have an option for smaller mp raws (I think nikon has it), I would hate to process 45-60mp raws for travel pics, it's just an overkill.
I did some research and the Nikon 850 has 3 raw modes: large, medium, and small. They use resampling so this wouldn't help increase fps. But, I believe Sony has a new 60 mp sensor with two modes, one at 60 mp and one at 30 mp. I don't know for sure if I read that correctly, but if true that could help boost fps.

Nikon article on raw modes.
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-d850/4

New Sony senor with 2 modes?
https://www.l-rumors.com/l2-sigma-fp-l/
03-18-2021, 10:38 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Nonsense. The sensor is irrelevant to the weight.

So you expect Pentax to announce a brand new FF camera with....wait for it... less MP than the K1 ? Not going to happen.

I don't know if you print your images, but I do frequently. I like to print at 24"x16". I can do that fine with the K1 image files 7360x4912 at 300ppi. A 24MP FF sensor would be the last thing I would consider buying.
A sensible thing - if they want an ‘entry level “FF” ‘ - would be to follow the Sony model and continue making and selling the K-1ii after they introduce the next model.
03-19-2021, 09:06 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
I did some research and the Nikon 850 has 3 raw modes: large, medium, and small. They use resampling so this wouldn't help increase fps. But, I believe Sony has a new 60 mp sensor with two modes, one at 60 mp and one at 30 mp. I don't know for sure if I read that correctly, but if true that could help boost fps.

Nikon article on raw modes.
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-d850/4

New Sony senor with 2 modes?
(L2) Sigma FP-L with new 60MP sensor? – L mount system camera rumors and news
Yeah that option would be very useful for casual shooting. Imo anything over 24mp is way overkill for travel photography.
03-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Yeah that option would be very useful for casual shooting. Imo anything over 24mp is way overkill for travel photography.
but I don't expect Pentax to release a "FF" with a 24mp sensor - people would apparently consider it to be too limiting.