Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2021, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #16

It seems that almost everyone is expecting just one FF lineup model from Ricoh. I guess that would be the case and by concentrating on DSLR, that will be the direction for now. The slow releases of camera body from Ricoh probably made everyone expect a much better spec body than the previous model K1 hence almost everyone wants it to be a higher model.

But not everybody wants a high spec body. Some, like me just wanted a simple small FF body that I can take everywhere without the high price tag for entry. Hence the logic of wanting a lower spec K2. But I rest my case, Ricoh may not have the resources to maintain a two body FF lineup like the competition. We who have a smaller budget for our hobby would need to settle and wait for years for the FF body to settle at a bargain price. Unless we go mirrorless and get the Z5 now selling at about $1k.

02-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mannyquinto Quote
It seems that almost everyone is expecting just one FF lineup model from Ricoh. I guess that would be the case and by concentrating on DSLR, that will be the direction for now. The slow releases of camera body from Ricoh probably made everyone expect a much better spec body than the previous model K1 hence almost everyone wants it to be a higher model.

But not everybody wants a high spec body. Some, like me just wanted a simple small FF body that I can take everywhere without the high price tag for entry. Hence the logic of wanting a lower spec K2. But I rest my case, Ricoh may not have the resources to maintain a two body FF lineup like the competition. We who have a smaller budget for our hobby would need to settle and wait for years for the FF body to settle at a bargain price. Unless we go mirrorless and get the Z5 now selling at about $1k.
Don't get me wrong, I totally get the dream of getting a specific item that you want that is an amalgamation of things that currently exist, but what do you *need* a FF body for? A lot of what I want/use a K1 for is for it's "high spec" features for landscape/astro. When I want a more basic body, I just use the KP (which is currently an obscene bargain at 600 bucks with a speedlight and sling included). I definitely don't notice an IQ loss, so if you're not a pro or someone that needs the more pro features of the K1, why not just use a KP or K70? They're 90% of the K1 and the KP is better in many ways. If vanity/FF factor is a reason, that's totally legit, but Pentax isn't the brand for FF nuts anyway by all accounts; they've only been doing FF digital for a handful of years, so they are where Nikon/Canon were like 15 years ago.

Just want to emphasize this isn't a criticism, just curious!
02-28-2021, 06:34 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Only 24MP are currently on Sony's takeout list.But the low pixel Pentax probably won't use it.
- 42Mp sensor SONY for private use.
- 45Mp sensor Nikon custom.
- 62Mp sensor,no third party use has been seen yet, but sources say the Sima FP L will be used. Pentax is most likely to be this CMOS.
02-28-2021, 08:28 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I thought we were over obsessing about Mpx.

02-28-2021, 09:30 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by 11GTCS Quote
Don't get me wrong, I totally get the dream of getting a specific item that you want that is an amalgamation of things that currently exist, but what do you *need* a FF body for? A lot of what I want/use a K1 for is for it's "high spec" features for landscape/astro. When I want a more basic body, I just use the KP (which is currently an obscene bargain at 600 bucks with a speedlight and sling included). I definitely don't notice an IQ loss, so if you're not a pro or someone that needs the more pro features of the K1, why not just use a KP or K70? They're 90% of the K1 and the KP is better in many ways. If vanity/FF factor is a reason, that's totally legit, but Pentax isn't the brand for FF nuts anyway by all accounts; they've only been doing FF digital for a handful of years, so they are where Nikon/Canon were like 15 years ago.

Just want to emphasize this isn't a criticism, just curious!

I had the chance and funds to buy the K1 last 2017 in the US, but wasn't convinced enough to have one that time. My K5ii was more than enough for my needs and its the same reason you stated. I have not had the experience to have a FF and that is probably the reason why I and maybe some people who lust for it may want a cheaper new body to play and use rather than buy second hand body that may have problems that come with it. Its the same reason w/ LBA which most of us have. You probably have a lens that cover the same focal length that you are lusting for but you still want that particular lens.

Anyway, back to the topic. The K1 mkii successor would probably have a newer sensor with much higher MP. That sensor would probably demand more in hand holding technique skills or just be a great tripod landscape & night scene camera. For some, more MP is not necessarily a good thing.
03-01-2021, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mannyquinto Quote
Well, if there is just going to be one model for FF, then a higher MP sensor will make sense but if they have plans for a lower model FF then it should have a lower MP sensor. Though Pentax past default camera naming scheme does not make any sense, the naming of K1 for high end FF, K2 for low end FF, K3 for high end APSC and K4 for low end APSC makes a lot of sense.
I don't think Pentax (or most other makers) are chasing the low end market any more. The K-1 II is selling for 1800 dollars right now and I can't imagine Pentax particularly wanting to sell full frame for much less than that. It may be that close out prices on the K-1 II when the K-1 III is released will drop it into the 1600 or 1700 dollar range, but unlike Nikon, Canon, and Sony, Pentax has not abandoned APS-C and isn't desperately trying to get their users to move away from crop frame cameras.
03-01-2021, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I thought we were over obsessing about Mpx.
Obviously not...although I don't actually see this as obsessing over it. Basically today I see these different MP count spreads as being pretty useful---from the lower counts associated with video-centric cameras to the high counts in cameras that you see in my domain, museum repro systems. In between are a lot of great options. Good time to be involved photography IMO. Pros have suffered somewhat, it's true, but I think that's likely both temporary and an overdue adjustment.

03-01-2021, 06:20 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Only 24MP are currently on Sony's takeout list.But the low pixel Pentax probably won't use it.
- 42Mp sensor SONY for private use.
- 45Mp sensor Nikon custom.
- 62Mp sensor,no third party use has been seen yet, but sources say the Sima FP L will be used. Pentax is most likely to be this CMOS.
I'd agree that 24 won't probably be enough for Pentax.

What is a kind of ? is that IF Nikon did get that 45 MP then there is no reason for Pentax to not to get something similar, as a custom version. I'm okay if it would be 45, or 62. My computer can take it. no problem.

It will be interesting to see.
03-01-2021, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I hope they are able to make the leap to one in the 60mp range, because by the time this camera actually rolls out from Pentax a 40-ish mp model will look a bit backward.
The sensor in the Sony A7RIV is almost two years old. So they should be able to source the 60MP sensor in that camera. Anything less would be yesterday. As far as the 645 goes, if they release a new camera, the 100MP sensor that is already in the Fuji GFX 100s camera would be the obvious choice.
03-01-2021, 08:47 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
The sensor in the Sony A7RIV is almost two years old. So they should be able to source the 60MP sensor in that camera. Anything less would be yesterday. As far as the 645 goes, if they release a new camera, the 100MP sensor that is already in the Fuji GFX 100s camera would be the obvious choice.
Basically I agree, but am also very interested in what they could do bringing forward this new K3III tech. The high iso performance looks startlingly good, so that would mean being able to shoot with relative impunity up through 6400, a real boon for a new FF camera. I can go there already, but it's with an obvious penalty. For a new 645 model, the gains could be astonishing, and if we were to get PS and IBIS in a new 645, I could easily live with something below 100mp, although that does seem the obvious choice at this time.
03-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Basically I agree, but am also very interested in what they could do bringing forward this new K3III tech. The high iso performance looks startlingly good, so that would mean being able to shoot with relative impunity up through 6400, a real boon for a new FF camera. I can go there already, but it's with an obvious penalty. For a new 645 model, the gains could be astonishing, and if we were to get PS and IBIS in a new 645, I could easily live with something below 100mp, although that does seem the obvious choice at this time.
About image quality etc. Pentax has always been able to go further. We will have to wait to actually seewhat is going on with K3III, but my hunch is that it will deliver. As they said already that they will not compete with price anymore they will concentrate on image quality. Only drawback with very high density sensors is that they usually lack the DR and overall performance compared to lower. Dunno if this stands anymore. 45-55 would be quite good for FF. 100 should be alright for 645. We will see.
03-01-2021, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
I won't be surprised by Ricoh going with this, they went with the little bro in the K3/3 which was a surprise.

I won't be surprised with the price going UP either.

---------- Post added 03-02-21 at 08:42 AM ----------

The sensor in the Sony A7RIV is almost two years old.
The 36mp was 3 years old when the K-1 was released,IF, the next FF comes in 2022 then its par for the course.

---------- Post added 03-02-21 at 09:08 AM ----------

Anything less would be yesterday. A
When you consider the alternatives are FSI and the development of the processor is geared to BSI,then highly likely the 62mp is what they are working on.( right now?)
03-01-2021, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The current K1 36MP still holds its own against the D850 and the a7xxx in terms of image quality, color rendering, dynamic range, etc. You also need to consider the image resolution of the current lenses - being able to support 60MP. 36 is sufficient for most, 50 in my opinion would be tops - and that would be based on their current planning for a new 645, which would need to be 100MP. With Nikon's recent announcement of their new imaging sensors, I would think that some of Sony's private sensors would become available to the smaller lines such as Pentax.

Additionally, not everything is MP. With substantially larger amounts of pixels, you need the thruput performance of the image processor to handle the larger images, which would require additional battery power. Currently Pentax has (even with the thruput of the K3III) a bottleneck in their image processing at 50MP and greater. Their current battery also presents some limitations.

They just updated their image processor for the K3III, and will probably need to roll it again to support both a new full and medium frame offerings.

03-01-2021, 05:47 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
When you consider the alternatives are FSI and the development of the processor is geared to BSI,then highly likely the 62mp is what they are working on.( right now?)
I think the 60MP sensor is a major step up from the current 36MP sensor. It is good enough to compete with almost all the current 50MP medium format sensors except the high MP count Fuji GFX 100s, and the 150MP Phase One. The down side of a 60MP K1 is that it will put a big dent in the 645Z market share.

---------- Post added 03-01-21 at 04:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I won't be surprised with the price going UP either.
I would not be surprised to see a $2500-3,000 price tag for the next K1.

---------- Post added 03-01-21 at 05:00 PM ----------

Pros have suffered somewhat, it's true, but I think that's likely both temporary and an overdue adjustment.
I agree with your assertion. However, most of the downturn, taking Covid factor out, is because of the commoditization of photography and proliferation of phone cameras. Pros are forced to charge less but their fixed costs (hardware, software, etc.) are fairly constant and high. I know of at least three pro friends who got out of photography (weddings) biz almost ten years ago and never looked back.
03-01-2021, 11:51 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
47Mpixels sensor used by Panasonic? Open source?