Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2021, 02:05 PM   #1

k-1 debug mode

Hi guys can anyone tell me if I get into the debug mode for my Pentax k-1after I have changed my af fine tune settings will they only stay ifI am in debug mode at all times or can I turn off debug mode and theystay in camera memory

04-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't need debug mode to do global or per lens AF fine tune. If you do additional global adjustment in debug mode, that setting may be saved.

As always, there is a strong caution regarding putting your camera into debug mode in that it is possible to "brick" the camera such that a service center intervention would be needed to bring it back.

Steve
04-02-2021, 03:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
hi steve its just one of my lenses needs an ajustment that goes past -10 ive tried everything and it still front focusing thats why i asked about the debug mode
04-02-2021, 04:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by andy271 Quote
hi steve its just one of my lenses needs an ajustment that goes past -10 ive tried everything and it still front focusing thats why i asked about the debug mode
What adjustment do your lenses need on average ? If the answer is -8 , then send your camera and a "-8" lens to Pentax and they will recalibrate FOC.

Your -8 lens then becomes a "0" lens and you can adjust the others including the <-10 one

04-02-2021, 04:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
wow i dint know that does the camera have to be in warranty i will have to go though all my lenses and check but yes most front focus i dont think ive had a lens that back focuses
04-03-2021, 10:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
anyone know if your lenses keep back focusing does this mean the lenses are at fault or the camera
04-04-2021, 04:35 AM   #7

Original Poster
I’m hoping you guys can help me understand this debug mode

1)if I enter debug mode on my k-1 and adjust my lenses past-10 which is the limit for the k-1
And then turn off debug mode do my setting stay or do I need debug modeon all the time

2)ifmy lenses are front focusing more than -10 my only choice is debug mode

3)peter you said Pentax will recalibrate FOC is this if im in warranty or out of warranty

tomake this a bit easier to explain I want to go into debug mode changemy lenses then when im happy with the setting I want to exit debugmode and never use it again is this how it works

Last edited by andy271; 3 Days Ago at 01:41 PM.
04-04-2021, 10:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

You have to understand the logic behind all this.
Metaphor:
  • Correct focus is achieved if you build a tower that is exactly 5 m above official sea level high.
  • Your lens is the tower. You camera mount is the floor of the earth you will build the tower on.
  • Both aspects can deviate:
    • a) you build your tower to be not exactly 5 m. Example: only 4 m high. If your earth floor is exactly on sea level then this is bad.
    • b) the earth floor is not at 0 m. For example in the Netherlands there are areas which are - 3m high. So even if your tower height is "perfectly calibrated" 5m, the sum of tower and floor is wrong.
And in reality it is so that often both the floor and the tower height deviate a little from the norm.

If all your lenses deviate in one direction then probably the camera mount is off and should be adjusted in service.
If its only one lens then the lens should be serviced.

Here is the thread about debug mode for the K-1: Resurrecting Pentax firmware hacking - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

04-04-2021, 11:45 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by andy271 Quote
I’m hoping you guys can help me understand this debug mode
Debug mode is used by service technicians to troubleshoot and calibrate the camera. Such is usually done with the assistance of special test and calibration instruments. Debug mode was never intended for the end user, though some have found it useful for some tasks. Use of debug mode may void your warranty. If your camera is a recent purchase new, contact your dealer for assistance and possible replacement from dealer stock. If not recent, but still under warranty, contact Ricoh/Pentax.

If only one of your lenses is requiring a large adjustment, the fault lies with that lens. Front or back focus problems with an AF lens are caused by an optical alignment fault in the lens. Given that, if all auto-focus lenses are needing a large adjustment, the problem is probably with the camera or how you are doing your focus testing.

If you are having front-focus issues with all of your manual focus Zeiss lenses, it is probably a matter of technique or how you are testing. Here are a few bullet points regarding fine focus with manual focus lenses on your K-1:
  • Precision is fairly poor with the stock focus screen, making accurate focus difficult. Chance of success may be improved by making sure the viewfinder diopter is set for your eyes. Use of the Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53 has been helpful for some users on this site.
  • Focus confirmation using the green hexagon is very handy, but may be inadequate for fine focus due to "slop" in what is detected as "not out-of-focus". The easiest way to demonstrate is to focus slowly from infinity, stop when the hexagon lights and very slowly turn the ring until the hexagon goes out. The actual point of best focus lies somewhere in that distance. Note that the same precision limitation applies to auto-focus using the viewfinder PDAF detector.
  • Live view with 1:1 magnification is the gold standard for fine focus, since focus is being evaluated on the sensor with 1:1 pixel mapping to the rear LCD. Enable live view and press the "OK" button to magnify. I don't have a K-1 at hand, but memory is that 1:1 pixel mapping is at 10x magnification.

As far as testing, make it as easy as possible for the camera and your eye to attain focus. In practice this means a high contrast target with well-defined edges in good light. The target should be flat and parallel to the sensor. Make more than one focus attempt from both minimum distance and infinity stops. Front/back focus can be determined by direction to correct in Live view.

Steve
04-04-2021, 01:04 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hi beholder 43mm ltd was front focus -8 and most lenses are the same 50mm macro is plus 8

---------- Post added 04-04-21 at 01:13 PM ----------

Hi steve thanks for the reply camera is out of warranty.ive got that focus attatchment but
Have just ordered the tenba one which i believe is better.i normally never use af as i like accuracy
Tripod live view light metre etc but i decided to try mf lenses and see how good the focus
On the k-1 would be.i didnt expect all this lens fine tuning i will do morectests until i am
Happy i dont mind repetitive testing and i use the same subject matter ive got far to manylenses
To test but ill try all the zeiss and all my pentax lenses
19 Hours Ago   #11

Original Poster
So guys you enter debug mode via sd card change your af fine tune to say -14 as pentax only allow -10.so when you are out of debug mode do all the changes stay or is a case of sd card in everytime you need to change settings