Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Days Ago   #1

Old Defective 6x7 - worth a buy?

Hello Pentaxians,
Ive stumbled across my dream camera, I've been looking for years and years, either it has been out of my budget, or none has been on the sites in my native country.
Ive found a 6X7 MLU but its not in good shape.
Spacing is "way off"
it has shutter drag
the light meter in the prism is defect. (externals works fine)
Im going to Romania next week and I know a spot with good repair techs for cheap. Is this even worth trying or is it dead? the price is 225 dollars.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Best.
TKChris

Attached Images

2 Days Ago   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Meter may be dead, or repairable; the shutter should be readily repairable.
If the cost plus what you think the repair might be is good in Denmark- go for it!
2 Days Ago   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi TKChris,
I think this is very risky. It's a "first generation" without mirror lock-up (I cannot see a mirror lock-up button on the photo), meaning that it belongs to one of the eariest batches of Pentax 6x7 cameras, and the shutter drag and faulty spacing might be indications of further problems (defective shutter and failing film winding mechanism). The light meter issue might be the "broken chain" problem, which is quite expensive to fix. All-in-all I would stay away or negotiate the price much lower down.

When looking closely at the photo it looks like the "leather" beneath the 6x7 logo has been peeled away or replaced. This could indicate that someone has had a peak inside the camera already and not been able to fix the various issues ......

I think you could be in for a disappointment.

I shoot Pentax 6x7 and 67 II and live north of Copenhagen. You are welcome to contact me, if you would like to discuss or know more about the Pentax 6x7 system.

Last edited by LaHo; 2 Days Ago at 10:42 AM.
2 Days Ago   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd pass on it as well, get a 67 that's in working order and skip on the older 6x7 bodies.

Phil.

2 Days Ago   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have heard that spares for first generation 6x7 bodies are made from unobtanium. This one is definitely a case of "for spares/repair". I would tread carefully.
1 Day Ago   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaHo Quote
Hi TKChris,
I think this is very risky. It's a "first generation" without mirror lock-up (I cannot see a mirror lock-up button on the photo), meaning that it belongs to one of the eariest batches of Pentax 6x7 cameras, and the shutter drag and faulty spacing might be indications of further problems (defective shutter and failing film winding mechanism). The light meter issue might be the "broken chain" problem, which is quite expensive to fix. All-in-all I would stay away or negotiate the price much lower down.

When looking closely at the photo it looks like the "leather" beneath the 6x7 logo has been peeled away or replaced. This could indicate that someone has had a peak inside the camera already and not been able to fix the various issues ......

I think you could be in for a disappointment.

I shoot Pentax 6x7 and 67 II and live north of Copenhagen. You are welcome to contact me, if you would like to discuss or know more about the Pentax 6x7 system.
QuoteOriginally posted by LaHo Quote
Thank you for your insight and offer. I will keep you in mind.

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I'd pass on it as well
Thank you for the advice

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
first generation 6x7 bodies are made from unobtanium
Hehe, thank you for replying

I think I will skip this offer. Thanks all for your warnings and reply. <3
1 Day Ago   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TKChris Quote
Ive found a 6X7 MLU
As LaHo said, that is not a Mirror Lock Up version, which have a vertically sliding button on the side of the light box, as in this photo. As used prices go, non MLU models have always been priced significantly lower than MLU models, whether that is because of the lack of that function or simply because it shows they are older, I don't know. Incidentally, that metering head is much newer than the body, having simply "PENTAX" on it - compare with the photo below of the earler version.

I think that price is too high for a non-MLU with those defects.

23 Hours Ago   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TKChris Quote
Im going to Romania next week and I know a spot with good repair techs for cheap.
And who would that be?

9 Hours Ago   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
And who would that be?
Kamerawerk in Bucharest