Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2021, 08:05 AM - 3 Likes   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Start with TAv mode, 1/100s, f2.8 and adjust accordingly on the fly.
Important: Weddings are tricky for many factors including some things that happen very fast and can not be repeated. So be ready to draw and shoot fast.

Thanks
Thanks so much for the reply. I am now practising Tav starting at these settings. Much appreciated.

---------- Post added 07-26-21 at 04:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Which option? I believe it has Sv, Tv, Av, and TAv priority options, as well as program mode which can be switched to shutter or aperture priority with the flip of a front or rear finger dial.
I need to use the program mode, that sounds ideal. Why have I not investigated this yet? ����

---------- Post added 07-26-21 at 04:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Assuming the K-1II behaves like other Pentax DSLRs (I have a KP) and that you want to use Av Mode, then set the ISO to Auto - lower limit 100 and upper limit as high as you are prepared to go to maintain quality (perhaps 3200 on K-1?). The camera will then not allow the shutter speed to fall below the old rule of thumb of 1/focal length, unless the light is so low that the chosen upper ISO limit is not high enough.

Philip
thank you so much, I'll try this option too.

---------- Post added 07-26-21 at 04:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by peggers Quote
Maybe it is possible to set up a USER preset. In it you could use a shutter priority mode and set the shutter speed to your desired speed, maybe run with auto iso too? In it you could also specify spot metering or whatever you desire
Great idea, thank you so much. All of these replies remind me how much I still have to learn about DSLR photography let alone my k1ii which I've had around six months!

---------- Post added 07-26-21 at 04:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Technically you will get the best possible results with M at fixed ISO 100 and your preferred Aperture and minimum shutter speeds (= longest tolerable exposure time like 1/125 sec or so) dialed in.
That will yield lots of underexposed images, but since you can fix these raws in post without any significant penalty versus choosing higher ISO initially due to the K-1's ISOless sensor. This yields the biggest possible max dynamic range for all images (because ISO 100).

Caveat:

This will not protect against overexposures, so if you use a very fast lens and shoot outdoors then probably you will need to manually choose even shorter shutter times.
No different from using TAv, though.

If you feel uncomfortable with shooting a wedding already this probably is an approach out of your comfort zone.

The setting max exposure time is only available in cameras from KP onwards I think.
Yes, this sounds reasonable. I tried this method shooting a school play a few days ago and it worked pretty good. Thank you!

---------- Post added 07-26-21 at 04:30 PM ----------

Thanks again everyone.

I am used to shooting mainly in manual but I think these next few weeks will be an opportunity to see what my k1ii can do, the possibilities to set it up the way *I* want it; I've not even touched the P mode nor do I have any user modes set up. It's about time I do.

I am comfortable shooting events but weddings are a bit scarier for me. I also suffer from Imposter Syndrome even though the jobs I get are mainly from people who like my style and my work. I will just get over this insecurity and remember the last weddings I shot. I'll have my trusty k1ii and K3ii with me which already fills me with confidence.

cheers all

Last edited by Julie Whelan; 07-26-2021 at 09:03 AM.
07-26-2021, 12:28 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Whelan Quote
I am comfortable shooting events but weddings are a bit scarier for me. I also suffer from Imposter Syndrome even though the jobs I get are mainly from people who like my style and my work. I will just get over this insecurity and remember the last weddings I shot. I'll have my trusty k1ii and K3ii with me which already fills me with confidence.

cheers all
Good luck and I'm sure you will do fine. I also assume you have some backup gear as the even could go south if something happens to lens/body if you don't have a backup. I wouldn't say the backup has to be the same - but the capabilities need to be sufficient even if not perfectly aligned. (So using a K1 and KP for example with a spare 17-50 to backup the 24-70 etc.
07-27-2021, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks so much for the reply. I am now practising Tav starting at these settings. Much appreciated.

---------- Post added 07-26-21 at 04:11 PM ----------

I need to use the program mode, that sounds ideal. Why have I not investigated this yet? ����

---------- Post added 07-26-21 at 04:13 PM ----------

thank you so much, I'll try this option too.

---------- Post added 07-26-21 at 04:15 PM ----------

Great idea, thank you so much. All of these replies remind me how much I still have to learn about DSLR photography let alone my k1ii which I've had around six months!

---------- Post added 07-26-21 at 04:20 PM ----------

Yes, this sounds reasonable. I tried this method shooting a school play a few days ago and it worked pretty good. Thank you!

---------- Post added 07-26-21 at 04:30 PM ----------

Thanks again everyone.

I am used to shooting mainly in manual but I think these next few weeks will be an opportunity to see what my k1ii can do, the possibilities to set it up the way *I* want it; I've not even touched the P mode nor do I have any user modes set up. It's about time I do.

cheers all
Please let us know how it goes!
07-29-2021, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Good luck and I'm sure you will do fine. I also assume you have some backup gear as the even could go south if something happens to lens/body if you don't have a backup. I wouldn't say the backup has to be the same - but the capabilities need to be sufficient even if not perfectly aligned. (So using a K1 and KP for example with a spare 17-50 to backup the 24-70 etc.

Thanks so much. For back up I have my K3ii which I'd used for past weddings, it will have another lens ready to shoot alongside the k1ii. I mostly use primes - 35mm 1.4 art, 85mm 1.4 art, Pentax 50mm 1.4, but have a Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 as well. I *wish* I had a 70-200mm and tried to find somewhere I could hire but not available.

Anyway, thanks for the support.

---------- Post added 07-29-21 at 11:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Please let us know how it goes!
Will do, thank you for the support!

---------- Post added 07-29-21 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Which option? I believe it has Sv, Tv, Av, and TAv priority options, as well as program mode which can be switched to shutter or aperture priority with the flip of a front or rear finger dial.
I've just tried the P mode and think it's amazing, I love the ease of switching between AV and TV. Thanks so much.

07-29-2021, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks so much. For back up I have my K3ii which I'd used for past weddings, it will have another lens ready to shoot alongside the k1ii. I mostly use primes - 35mm 1.4 art, 85mm 1.4 art, Pentax 50mm 1.4, but have a Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 as well. I *wish* I had a 70-200mm and tried to find somewhere I could hire but not available.
Did you try lensrentals.com?
07-29-2021, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks so much. For back up........................................

I've just tried the P mode and think it's amazing, I love the ease of switching between AV and TV. Thanks so much.
One other tip is that if you use the front or rear dials and want to return to full P mode, you can push the "Green Button" which will kick you back to the P mode metered setting you started with (and you're in full P mode again). Also turning the camera off and back on will do the same.

Just in case you didn't pick up on this one elsewhere. Glad you're enjoying P mode. I think I use it more than any other.
08-09-2021, 02:25 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Did you try lensrentals.com?
thanks but I'm in the UK, I can't imagine they would ship here, right?

08-09-2021, 05:51 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I doubt it. But I’ve never looked into it. My guess is it is too complex and expensive for that to be practical.
08-10-2021, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try SRS Microsystems
08-10-2021, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Try SRS Microsystems
Looks like they aren't offering the service at the moment.
https://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/pages/hire/#

---------- Post added 08-10-21 at 10:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Looks like they aren't offering the service at the moment.
https://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/pages/hire/#
Although it is on the Facebook page so it is worth asking.
08-10-2021, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Phone SRS and speak to Chris. He will tell you if it is available or not
08-12-2021, 06:55 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Phone SRS and speak to Chris. He will tell you if it is available or not

Such a good idea, SRS are so good. I'll give Chris a ring when I need to rent.
Many thanks.