Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best Pentax camera body

What is the best Pentax camera body? The sharpest focus? The most professional equipment?

09-14-2021, 08:23 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

since you posted this in the FF forum, there's only one FF Pentax...
09-14-2021, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't know if there is a best. To me they're all very good. At least the ones I've used. The lens attached makes a much bigger difference.
09-14-2021, 09:01 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The next one

09-14-2021, 09:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Markpszk Quote
What is the best Pentax camera body? The sharpest focus? The most professional equipment?
Digital or film?

K1-II is the current digital full frame flagship. K3-iii is the current crop apsc flagship. Think of the K1 as similar to a Nikon D810. The k3iii is close to the Nikon D500. Both comparisons are imperfect as some features are different.

Pz-1p or MZ-S or LX would be the top film bodies depending on who is talking. LX is non-autofocus, the other two offer screw drive only autofocus.
09-14-2021, 09:07 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The one you have.
09-14-2021, 09:09 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Sorry, but what does "the sharpest focus" even mean?

And "the most professional" depends on the profession. For the landscape and portrait photographers it would have to be the 645Z.

09-14-2021, 09:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

You focus lenses, not camera bodies.
09-14-2021, 09:28 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

What is ..The most professional equipment?
The most professional piece of equipment is a tripod and lighting kit (flashes, reflectors, backdrops), because it is the piece of equipment that enable professional photographic results even with a bad camera and a mediocre lens. Historically, professionals have always been seen with tripods and lighting tools, whether it was in a studio, indoors, historical places and in outdoors landscape photography context, regardless what camera and lenses were used. Autofocus has never been a professional requirement, Pros have shot weddings, portraits and journalism with manual focus camera and lens.
09-14-2021, 09:49 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

If the most professional Pentax is the one that's been used by more professionals than any other, then it's the Spotmatic in its various incarnations. If you were a lucky sort of professional back in the 1960s then you were David Bailey, using your Spottie to take iconic shots of Jean Shrimpton and Twiggie. If you were another sort of professional back then, you were using your Spottie to document the Vietnam war and hoping it was well built enough to stop a bullet (it was).
09-14-2021, 09:50 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The one you have.
This ^ ^ ^

...and the above remains true until you have a need or a yearning for something offered by another model or brand.

BTW...If you want sharpest focus, use magnified live view. Professional equipment? I believe all of the current models are used by members here to make money.

Steve
09-14-2021, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
If the most professional Pentax is the one that's been used by more professionals than any other, then it's the Spotmatic in its various incarnations.
Followed closely by the 6x7 and LX.

Steve
09-14-2021, 10:01 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Followed closely by the 6x7 and LX.

Steve

Definitely. I was actually wondering if the 6x7 might the most widely professionally used of all, since it's still the go-to camera for fashion and portrait pros when they want that look that only medium format film can provide. I know that Rankin still uses one when the occasion demands it.
09-14-2021, 10:28 AM - 4 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

It's ok to buy a camera based on a need that you have.

But it's not ok to think a "pro camera" will make you a "pro photographer". A "pro photographer" will take "pro" pictures with ANY equipment.

I came across this article a while ago, and it's still a great read on the subject (and it involves the Best Deal in Photography™, the lowly Pentax 50 1.7 lens): I Got Tired Of People Giving My Camera The Credit For My Photos, So I Bought The Cheapest Camera And Lens I Could Find To Prove Them Wrong | Bored Panda
09-14-2021, 10:54 AM - 4 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What is the best Pentax camera body?
FF K1-II

aps-c K3 III

The sharpest focus?
All camera bodies have the same "sharpest focus"