Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2021, 05:34 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Nonsense! I have owned and used the K-1. I have also used Sony a7 series cameras since 2014. The a7 series menus aren't complicated, just a lot of parameters that can be adjusted. If that is too difficult, there are custom settings buttons, allowing one to set up the camera to your liking, and access multiple different set ups (landscape, portrait, video, etc.) via a single button.

If custom buttons are still too difficult one could always hire someone to take the photos for you.
The Sony menus arenít great. I have owned the A7rII and I still own the A7rIII. I also own Olympus and Panasonic and previously owned Samsung and Nikon point and shoots cameras. Iíve also used Nikon and Canon DSLRs. The Pentax and Panasonic menus are by far the best of those, the Olympus and Sony are products of a demonic beingís hatred of photographers.

10-10-2021, 12:37 PM   #32
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

There is now a K-1 on PF for $900.
10-10-2021, 08:20 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
There is now a K-1 on PF for $900.
Which appears to need a foam mirror bumper replaced.
10-11-2021, 03:34 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
B&H and Adorama both offer no interest if paid in 12 months. I don't want to suggest you go into debt, but pointing out that there are ways.

10-11-2021, 03:46 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Given my lack of experience with such things, my only advice would be go with something one of these guys is using.The reason I often advise people to use the computers and cameras someone in their family uses, is the availability of advice. Competent advice for free is hard to come by.
10-12-2021, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by femto Quote
Thank you everyone for clicking on my thread!

I currently only own aps-c bodies, but I would love to use some of my older primes (K mount + M42) on a full frame digital body.

However, while the K1 is almost exactly the camera I want, I simply cannot afford it right now. Used market prices have spiked for higher end gear and Pentax alternatives do not exit. So the only thing I can do at the moment is to look at other manufactures older offerings and get a K1 later. Or wait it out, but that is no fun at all.

Are there any cheap options that I should consider?

My goal is to enjoy the process of taking pictures with manual lenses, being creative and feeling involved, and maybe do some portraits. Not so much photographing moving objects. The best image quality or highest megapixel number is not needed. Video capabilities are also not needed. Instead, what I care more about is usability with said old lenses, for example being able to easily adjust exposure when stopping down without having to fiddle around in menus, having a big and bright viewfinder that ideally offers some sort of focussing help, maybe ibis and preferably a bigger body with a deep grip over a small one. To give you a better idea, my K-50 almost feels too small for my hands.

Nikon is propably out of the question due to adaptability reasons. Sony has tiny bodies and is still a bit too expensive for what I am looking for.

So far I came across the Canon 1Ds mk i/ii (Big pro body, lots of af points that could hopefully help with manual focussing?) as well as the 5D mk i/ii (Even cheaper and / or better iq / dust removal).

Would these bodies be good options for me or should I be looking at something else?
What have other people or maybe you been using before the K1 was available?

I am glad for any helpful advice.
After losing my first K1 (and almost myself) in a North Carolina waterfall pool, I found another low use body on ebay and used the paypal credit...no interest for 6 months deal. Jerry

Last edited by britt3jfs; 10-12-2021 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Sentence was too long.
10-12-2021, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #37

Photos: Albums
I had a similar situation - lots of old manual lenses I wanted to use, and no full frame camera to use them.

I wound up getting a good deal on a used Sony a7iii. Iíd highly recommend it if you can find one in your budget. The a7ii is substantially cheaper and might be good for you too - I went with the iii because I wanted eye autofocus (among other things - dual card slots etc.) but if you do exclusively manual work thatís not so much if a concern.

I canít stress enough what a joy mirrorless is for using the old glass. Modern viewfinders donít compare to the film era ones, but all the extra assists available in the mirrorless cameras are a huge help. In viewfinder focus peaking and the ability to zoom in to 100% in viewfinder to check critical focus is incredible, and I love that you can see how your shot is exposed in real time. Iíve tried using old glass on modern DSLRs (albeit Nikon ones) and found it very frustrating. The finders just arenít up to confirming focus with very fast manual glass.

The Sonyís are tiny cameras, which isnít a bad thing necessarily. They do get bulkier with the required adapters. I wound up making a wood grip extension for the bottom plate because my pinky couldnít quite fit on, which has helped make it more comfortable to hold. There are similar commercial options available for that.

10-12-2021, 10:50 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by britt3jfs Quote
After losing my first K1 (and almost myself) in a North Carolina waterfall pool, I found another low use body on ebay and used the paypal credit...no interest for 6 months deal. Jerry
Yikes!!! Glad you werenít lost.
10-12-2021, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by femto Quote
Thank you everyone for clicking on my thread!

I currently only own aps-c bodies, but I would love to use some of my older primes (K mount + M42) on a full frame digital body.

However, while the K1 is almost exactly the camera I want, I simply cannot afford it right now. Used market prices have spiked for higher end gear and Pentax alternatives do not exit. So the only thing I can do at the moment is to look at other manufactures older offerings and get a K1 later. Or wait it out, but that is no fun at all.

Are there any cheap options that I should consider?

My goal is to enjoy the process of taking pictures with manual lenses, being creative and feeling involved, and maybe do some portraits. Not so much photographing moving objects. The best image quality or highest megapixel number is not needed. Video capabilities are also not needed. Instead, what I care more about is usability with said old lenses, for example being able to easily adjust exposure when stopping down without having to fiddle around in menus, having a big and bright viewfinder that ideally offers some sort of focussing help, maybe ibis and preferably a bigger body with a deep grip over a small one. To give you a better idea, my K-50 almost feels too small for my hands.

Nikon is propably out of the question due to adaptability reasons. Sony has tiny bodies and is still a bit too expensive for what I am looking for.

So far I came across the Canon 1Ds mk i/ii (Big pro body, lots of af points that could hopefully help with manual focussing?) as well as the 5D mk i/ii (Even cheaper and / or better iq / dust removal).

Would these bodies be good options for me or should I be looking at something else?
What have other people or maybe you been using before the K1 was available?

I am glad for any helpful advice.
Buy a used K1 from a reputable dealer (KEH, Adorama, B&H Photo, etc.) Or see if Ricoh has a refurbished model for sale.

Stan
10-12-2021, 03:01 PM   #40

I use vintage Pentax lenses on my Sony A7RIII and they work really well. Shoot in aperture priority and they give you automatic exposure. Focus peaking allows very accurate and easy manual focusing and mirrorless means the digital viewfinder compensates for a stopped-down aperture complete with DoF preview allowing you to see exactly what youíll get when you press the shutter.
10-12-2021, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

One day I will buy a second-hand K-1, but currently, I can't justify that level of spending on something I'd use rarely.
So, I've been using now ancient and relatively cheap Canon 5D mkII, as an added bonus, I can adapt quite a bit more lenses than I could have on K-1 - Nikon F, Olympus OM, Rollei QBM, Contax/Yashica lenses work just fine!

I've found out there is one significant issue when adapting Pentax lenses to it - but it is easily solvable.
The issue occurs with some part of the lens blocking the mirror from moving freely - with K-mount lenses, that's an aperture lever, while on some Takumars (and some other M42 lenses, as well), the rear lens element gets in the way.

Solution - switch to live-view mode.

With Takumars, it's enough to focus the lens to the closest distance before switching the mode, while with K-mount lenses you'd need to turn on and switch the camera to LV mode *before* mounting the lens. Canon has a really good implementation of a live-view mode, once turned on, the camera will never drop the mirror, practically turning it into a fully mirrorless camera. There's no fear of the mirror hitting any part of the lens, at least while the camera is powered. Even if the battery dies, or you accidentally turn off the LV mode, the mirror will stop without getting stuck - the camera will throw an error warning, with no ill effect.

5D mkII is a relatively old camera by now, its stills image quality is surpassed even by 16mpx m43 sensors (m43 sensor has greater DR), but it is a perfectly capable camera, regardless of the sub-par DR performance. On the plus side, it is still pretty capable when it comes to video, especially if it is updated with Magic Lantern firmware. And it can be found for less than 500€, much less if you don't mind getting a well-used specimen.
10-13-2021, 01:10 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
I've been using now ancient and relatively cheap Canon 5D mkII, as an added bonus, I can adapt quite a bit more lenses than I could have on K-1 - Nikon F, Olympus OM, Rollei QBM, Contax/Yashica lenses work just fine!

I've found out there is one significant issue when adapting Pentax lenses to it - but it is easily solvable.
The issue occurs with some part of the lens blocking the mirror from moving freely - with K-mount lenses, that's an aperture lever, while on some Takumars (and some other M42 lenses, as well), the rear lens element gets in the way.
By this point in your post, I felt an impending sense of dread... so many wonderful Pentax lenses butchered to remove the aperture lever

QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
Solution - switch to live-view mode.

With Takumars, it's enough to focus the lens to the closest distance before switching the mode, while with K-mount lenses you'd need to turn on and switch the camera to LV mode *before* mounting the lens. Canon has a really good implementation of a live-view mode, once turned on, the camera will never drop the mirror, practically turning it into a fully mirrorless camera. There's no fear of the mirror hitting any part of the lens, at least while the camera is powered. Even if the battery dies, or you accidentally turn off the LV mode, the mirror will stop without getting stuck - the camera will throw an error warning, with no ill effect.
... and then the sense of dread dissipated and was replaced with deep joy! Well done - and thank you - for finding a solution that allows you to use the lenses without modifying them
10-13-2021, 06:49 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I can't add to much to what's been already said. The K-1 is great and worth saving for. The Sony's are great to -- I use an a7rii for infrared and I find the in-viewfinder magnification for manual focus invaluable. you can set up one of the buttons near the shutter release that allows you to switch to magnification mode so you can easily switch magnifications while viewing your shot and then pressing the shutter release if your hand holding. You should be able to find one of the a7ii or iii or a7rii used for a reasonable price at one of the big camera retailers or on ebay.
10-16-2021, 04:16 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TIP: Check the Pentax forum market place. A used K-1 is up for sale right now.
10-18-2021, 10:56 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Funny how people looking for cheap cameras. If only it is a matter of price, there are tons of used cameras in good working conditions.