Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2021, 01:36 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Given the registration distance of about 46mm, I'd love to see how close we could get to that for thickness. The sensor has thickness of course, but maybe an OLED screen could help.

A non-fixed screen will inevitably require additional thickness depending on the desired design and durability.

A drastic shift would be to move the screen toward the grip so that it can be placed beside the sensor rather than behind it. However, that's where most buttons are. Maybe you could design a flip screen which flips over to the region behind the sensor, revealing the buttons in their usual spot. That way you could transport/store the camera in a thin layout (also protect the buttons), and the added thickness when engaged isn't as big of a deal. In my head it looks like a solution looking for a problem - it would make the grip side much thinner when engaged, and the left side would be boxy because the thickness of the screen will shift from one side of the camera to the other!

10-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Is it just me that feels like the Pentax K1 looks a little too thick for the FA and (new) D-FA limited lenses?
What would be the ways to make a Pentax full frame camera body with a form factor closer to film SLR bodies?
I'm not looking for low priced camera body like in other threads.

I start:
- remove back LCD, review images on smartphone
- mother board electronics with a rectangle hole in the center to let the SR + sensor block move back a few mm
- use metal finish body to match the aluminum / alloy finish of limited lenses

---------- Post added 19-10-21 at 08:19 ----------

Looking at camera size : Compare camera dimensions side by side

- Nikon Df is 66.5mm thick
- Pentax K1 is 85.5mm thick
Or, buy a film camera and a drum scanner.
10-20-2021, 10:59 AM - 6 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Damn, people body-shaming the K-1?

Some of us like bodies a little thicc, gives us somethin' to hang on to...
10-23-2021, 11:46 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Pentax is already a niche (obviously the future market leader in the DSLR niche).
But an niche camera in this niche would be hard to sell - so even more unlikely that there will come an digital camera without display.

11-22-2021, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a futile effort...

The Pentax K-mount has one of the longest registration distances of any modern DSLR. It's 45.46 mm, second only to Nikon's 46mm. That's always going to be the distance from the sensor front to the lens mount. Compare that to modern mirrorless cameras, running 20 to 15 mm. What good does a slimmer body do if the lens mount stays the same? The long registration distance may be a feature, not a bug. Pentaxes get more of that distance from their body depth, so each lenses can be made a little shorter. Those size and weight savings really add up when you're carrying a bevy of lenses.

I think this topic could be summed up with the words, "Does your mirrorless camera make my DSLR look fat?"
11-23-2021, 12:16 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-1 as well as the other models have a lot of space between the sensor and the back of the camera.

"Does this film camera make my DSLR look fat"
11-23-2021, 03:35 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you ever seen the inside of a DSLR? There is a lot of tech between the sensor and the back of the camera, it isn't empty space.

11-23-2021, 07:38 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The K-1 as well as the other models have a lot of space between the sensor and the back of the camera.

"Does this film camera make my DSLR look fat"
There are usually less space behind the sensor on a DSLR than on mirrorless cameras.
11-23-2021, 11:09 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't care how thick the K-1 is. Of course, I also shoot a Pentax 645Z. The grip on the K-1 needs work. It is the most uncomfortable of any Pentax I've owned.

Thanks,
barondla
11-23-2021, 12:14 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The idea of a minimalist dSLR with physical size similar to a manual focus film camera has been tossed around the forums for years. Such would accommodate accessory expansion modules for stuff like AF. I have a copy of concept art for a Spotmatic body with rear LCD and various buttons on the back. I will share it here if I can find it.

Steve
11-23-2021, 12:15 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I will share it here if I can find it.

Based on Spotmatic D Concept, created by Lieke Esveldt..pity, it has a Sony hot shoe...

Steve
11-24-2021, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But does it have two card slots? A serious digital camera has to have two card slots.
11-24-2021, 11:52 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That looks good, but...

After a day using that, you'd probably hate it. A SS dial that's awkward to reach (in the old days, we tended to set it and forget it, controlling exposure by aperture). Cold, slippery edges that don't match the contours of a hand. Imagine hand-holding this with a telephoto. Actually, mounting any modern lens would destroy the vibe of this camera. Without an aperture control on the body, that would probably be impossible, anyhow.
11-24-2021, 12:07 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll just copy what I posted to DPReview recently. I want a Digital MX (call it the DMX), with similar dimensions.

• Based on KP body or similar. Offer it in silver/black for the retro look. Heck go all out and make it the same size/shape as the MX.
  • 35mm sensor (or 'FF' as some call it)
  • Big, bright viewfinder. Use the new technology from K3III if it can scale up to the bigger frame or find a box of old MX viewfinders somewhere (I don't even care if it's 100% coverage).
  • Manual-focus focused focusing screen. Something like the Canon S-type or better.
  • No flippy screen (or no screen at all as you mention, but that would be a hard sell on a DSLR)
  • Probably no IBIS to keep size down (but always welcome if the Pentax wizards can fit it in without impacting size too much)
  • Bring back the aperture ring linkage!

Obviously such a thing will never be made, but it's fun to make up awesome cameras that are bad business decisions
11-24-2021, 12:45 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
Imagine hand-holding this with a telephoto.
I do it all the time with my film cameras. Left hand under the lens to support the weight of both. As for being "slippery", the angled body edges are common to both Pentax and Nikon product for a reason. As a point of interest, I have a few cameras from the early 1980s for which I have the matching power winder with grip. The grip, while looking cool, does not improve handling.

Note the small size and cramped hand position with the Pentax at right (the Super Program is about the same size as an MX). The XR7 with grip-less winder (center) is better balanced and handles great.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-24-2021 at 12:55 PM.