Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #1

Why have Pentax viewfinders got 'smaller' through time?

Apologies in advance if this has been answered elsewhere, but I was wondering if anyone knows why Pentax full-frame viewfinders (both film and digital) have reduced in magnification through time?

In terms of Pentax cameras I own, I would say that the viewfinder image size is best with the older film bodies, and worst with my K1 Mk2. Using the same A-series 50mm f1.4 lens on each, I would rate them (from best to worst) as:

ME Super
LX
Z-1P (PZ-1P)
MZ-S
K1 Mk2

I'd be really interested in knowing why this might be - I'm sure there is a solid technical reason - but modern viewfinders just don't seem to be such an immersive experience as they are on the old film bodies.

Thanks.

11-06-2021, 11:53 AM - 5 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's likely due to autofocus, because AF cameras don't need precise manual focusing aides in the viewfinder. That said, it seems this trend may start reversing itself- the viewfinder on the K-3 III is just as big as the K-1 viewfinder. It will be interesting to see where things go next.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-06-2021, 12:10 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thetrooper Quote
I would rate them (from best to worst) as:

ME Super
LX
Z-1P (PZ-1P)
MZ-S
K1 Mk2
I agree with your rankings. The late 1970s into the 1980s represents the historic high point for manual focus SLR viewfinder performance, across brands. The view is like looking out a window with close to full coverage at near 100% magnification with a 50mm lens at infinity.

Why did things change? The short answer is that the direct blame for reduced magnification goes to auto focus using PDAF. The talking points go like this:
  • The PDAF sensor is located in the floor of the mirror box and gets its image courtesy of a partially-silvered main mirror acting as a beam splitter.
  • Since the amount of light being delivered to the optical viewfinder is significantly reduced, the point of compromise in terms of brightness is made up by using lower magnification while retaining reasonable coverage. As a result, the view is sort of like looking down a tunnel.
  • The view could be worse, but use of focus screen brightening treatments and pentaprism rather than pentamirror help ease the pain for recent model Pentax dSLR owners.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-06-2021 at 01:05 PM. Reason: ambiguity
11-06-2021, 12:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's likely due to autofocus, because AF cameras don't need precise manual focusing aides in the viewfinder. That said, it seems this trend may start reversing itself- the viewfinder on the K-3 III is just as big as the K-1 viewfinder. It will be interesting to see where things go next.
+1 @Adam. Notice that the manual focus cameras are at the top of your list, followed by AF, then digital. My Pentax 645 has a greater magnification than my 645N, and I assume that's also due to the addition of AF.

I'd also add that with the option of LiveView, the OVF is less of design concern. But as DSLR are now trying to survive against Mirrorless, Pentax made a wise improvement for the K3iii viewfinder. For those of us that shoot a lot and with OVF, it makes a big difference. For the casual photographer, they don't seem to notice.

11-06-2021, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Apologies in advance if this has been answered elsewhere, but I was wondering if anyone knows why Pentax full-frame viewfinders (both film and digital) have reduced in magnification through time?
In terms of Pentax cameras I own, I would say that the viewfinder image size is best with the older film bodies, and worst with my K1 Mk2.
The coverage did increase while the magnification decreased:

Brand / ModelCoverageMagnificationCrop FactorEffective Size
Pentax MX97%0.9510.92
Pentax LX95%0.9210.87
Pentax 645Z98%0.620.8 0.76
Pentax K-3 III 100% 1.051.5 0.70
Pentax K-1100%0.7 1 0.70
11-06-2021, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My understanding is that, as a design goal, magnification competes with coverage, eyepoint and cost. See this explanation: Understanding Viewfinders - Luminous Landscape

So at least for the K1ii, I like that they're going for 100% coverage and decent eyepoint, it helps me see the final image well when wearing eyeglasses. For manual focus cameras, I'm happy to trade size over other aspects because of focus accuracy, though it's certainly possible to manual focus with the k1ii as well. And for the new k3iii viewfinder, my guess is that it's quite a bit more expensive than the one in the k1ii, judging by the development stories shared part of the camera launch.
11-06-2021, 01:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
My assumption is the K-3 mkIII high-refraction glass pentaprism is part of a series of development goals leading towards a hybrid viewfinder. (being used in conjunction with a pelical mirror).
Hopefully to be introduced in a 645Z mkIII providing it is not cost prohibitive?
The OVF in the K-3iii is startlingly good, when compared with previous APS-C offerings, so a K-1iii with the same pentaprism glass plus the new VF information focussing screen overlay should get things back towards the old film camera visibility. Replacing the mirror with a pellical arrangement will work the other way, of course, but may offer other advantages.

Doing likewise with a 645Z replacement could make its viewfinder magnificent, particularly if the sensor is upgraded to full-frame.

Of course, in all cases, the trade-off between magnification and brightness will be a matter for the designer’s judgment.

PS: I should add that the LX’s “sports” viewfinder was outstandingly bright, but that’s because it had a lower magnification, as I recall.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 11-06-2021 at 07:48 PM.
11-06-2021, 02:22 PM   #8

The reason I read about 35mm film SLRs viewfinders having less than 100% coverage was because of the partial masking of the 35mm frame from slide mounts. The cutoff in the viewfinder was to aid in composition of slides.
11-06-2021, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the great answers everyone.

I agree that a K1 Mk3 with the viewfinder tech of a K3 Mk3 would be a fantastic OVF experience. I hope something like that does become reality.
11-06-2021, 08:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks for the great answers everyone.

I agree that a K1 Mk3 with the viewfinder tech of a K3 Mk3 would be a fantastic OVF experience. I hope something like that does become reality.
The new pentaprism in the K3iii is physically larger than those in earlier APS-C cameras, which may have been responsible for the absence of GPS. I'm not sure I would make that trade in a K1iii.
11-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-3iii is great in most respects but I would gladly trade the new viewfinder for the built-in GPS. I have no problems with phone GPS but the built-in unit on the K-3ii an K-1ii are nicer.
11-07-2021, 01:42 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The reason I read about 35mm film SLRs viewfinders having less than 100% coverage was because of the partial masking of the 35mm frame from slide mounts. The cutoff in the viewfinder was to aid in composition of slides.
Yes that was part of it, but also the 24x36mm image is not proportionate to the common 5x7", 8x10", 11x14", 16x20" paper print sizes. Yes, 4x6", 5x8", 8x12", etc, became common in color print papers, but never caught on in black and white.

Nevertheless, I still want to see 100% and decide myself what I will crop later. That's why I opted for a Nikon F3HP back in the 80's. Major kudos to the K1 and K3iii for 100% viewfinder coverage.
11-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I dont agree that af makes precise manual focusing in eyeview unnessecary because pdaf has limitations. Live view is onlly an option with rather static motives. If the market had made it possible I would gladly have bought a dslr without af, but with un impressive mf.
my age and bank account states that I dont buy a new camera anymore
11-07-2021, 12:04 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
I dont agree that af makes precise manual focusing in eyeview unnessecary because pdaf has limitations.
Yep...huge imprecision overall when compared to better manual focusing methods.

Steve
11-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian

In terms of Pentax cameras I own, I would say that the viewfinder image size is best with the older film bodies, and worst with my K1 Mk2. Using the same A-series 50mm f1.4 lens on each, I would rate them (from best to worst) as:

ME Super
LX
Z-1P (PZ-1P)
MZ-S
K1 Mk2

I'd be really interested in knowing why this might be - I'm sure there is a solid technical reason - but modern viewfinders just don't seem to be such an immersive experience as they are on the old film bodies.

Thanks.
So you don't own an MX...