Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 161 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2023, 06:43 AM - 3 Likes   #151

So I finally made a purchase, the K1-mkII with 28-105 kit to have something, as the price was good.

Looking into some manual lenses, most like I will get the 28mm 3.5 and then a 43mm lens

But all n all.. happy with the camera, looking forward of travelling with it.

04-18-2023, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have a K1, bought new in Feb. 2017. I thought about getting it upgraded to a K1 ll, but I was / am happy with my K1 as is...still has features that I haven't explored and the images it produces are to me, very good.
I have the K1 and the K1 II (not a K1 conversion) and the K1 II has a better damped shutter and no shutter shock whatsoever even with the 28-105 or 35 f2. The shutter sound of the K1 II is less metallic then it is on the K1, it is immediately noticeable when I use the camera, from the shutter sound I know if I'm using the K1 II or the K1 without looking. So now I use the K1 original for shooting with the battery grip and long lenses (70-200 and 150-450) because shutter speed tend to be fast enough such that shutter shock never manifests. I use the K1 II for everything else, even if I never use the hand-help pixel shift and I found no difference at all in terms of AF performance, because sharpness is much more consistent on the K1II. I believe either some batches of K1 didn't have the shutter assembly done right. But the K1 II is the refined camera to have, I really like mine.
04-18-2023, 03:31 PM   #153
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Casul Quote
Looking into some manual lenses, most like I will get the 28mm 3.5 and then a 43mm lens
43 manual or the 43 limited FA autofocus?
04-18-2023, 09:36 PM   #154

I bought a K1 II and returned it because I wasn’t sure that I was staying with Pentax. I then missed it, and found a used original K1 on mpb with the dial problem for 550$. After about thirty minutes of careful work, I have it repaired and working flawlessly. I can tell absolutely no difference in the use/performance/image quality between the two cameras. However, that was a rare find. If I hadn’t found a cheap k1 to repair I would have bought - mark ii. The mark I on the used market is priced absurdly high. It sits around 1100-1300, which is just a stupid price to pay for it. There is no point in buying a k1 unless you can find a cheap one with the dial issue, which is absurdly easy to fix. I will use this mk I until the mk iii is finally released.

Last edited by pblogic; 04-18-2023 at 09:42 PM.
04-19-2023, 12:12 PM   #155

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
43 manual or the 43 limited FA autofocus?
I think I will go for an AF lens for the 43mm.
04-19-2023, 01:22 PM   #156
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Casul Quote
I think I will go for an AF lens for the 43mm.
Ok. Less confused.
06-25-2023, 12:45 PM   #157
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pblogic Quote
I bought a K1 II and returned it because I wasn’t sure that I was staying with Pentax. I then missed it, and found a used original K1 on mpb with the dial problem for 550$. After about thirty minutes of careful work, I have it repaired and working flawlessly. I can tell absolutely no difference in the use/performance/image quality between the two cameras. However, that was a rare find. If I hadn’t found a cheap k1 to repair I would have bought - mark ii. The mark I on the used market is priced absurdly high. It sits around 1100-1300, which is just a stupid price to pay for it. There is no point in buying a k1 unless you can find a cheap one with the dial issue, which is absurdly easy to fix. I will use this mk I until the mk iii is finally released.
Good to know you were able to fix it. Can you please describe the fix?

06-25-2023, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I have the K1 and the K1 II (not a K1 conversion) and the K1 II has a better damped shutter and no shutter shock whatsoever even with the 28-105 or 35 f2.
That's interesting. I have the K-1 II and these 2 lenses. I read about the shutter shock and I was a bit afraid of it since I’m shooting a lot between 1/30s and 1/125s… But, knock on wood, I’m getting sharp pictures with these 2 lenses. If my memory is good, the only Pentax I had that was somewhat plagued by the shutter shock was the K-7.

To get back to the topic, if the K-3 Mk.III is of any indication, the K-1 Mk.III will not come cheap. So the K-1 II is still a good buy, especially used. But that depends on which feature would really be important in a Mk.III. Personally, the sensor resolution is good enough. I'm still astonished at how a small patch on my 30” monitor can be a readable plate at 100% view. So I would not wait for an Image Quality improvement on Mk.III. But a touch screen LCD for easier focusing in Liveview would be nice. And of course bring the AF improvements from the K-3 Mk.III. Otherwise not much is missing from the K-1 which makes it still relevant today IMHO.
06-26-2023, 01:32 AM   #159

Well! I have both a K3iii and a K1ii. They do different things. I use my K1 for interiors with a Venus shift lens or a Pentax 15 - 30mm. The articulating back is invaluable. The K3 with the new PLM lenses is a formidable sport or wildlife camera. But it lacks an articulated back so it’s a case of ‘get down dirty!’ The K3 is far more advanced technically otherwise. There’s no sign of a K1 upgrade any time soon. Splash out. Get both!!!
06-29-2023, 06:02 PM   #160

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Good to know you were able to fix it. Can you please describe the fix?
Actually it's way easier to show you. I followed this
. Unfortunately, my K1 developed other issues with the hotshoe, which I also tried to repair, but borked it and the camera is not in full working order.

That said, the mode dial fix is pretty easy if you're careful. there are a lot of thin wires in there that are easy to snap.

---------- Post added 06-29-2023 at 06:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
That's interesting. I have the K-1 II and these 2 lenses. I read about the shutter shock and I was a bit afraid of it since I’m shooting a lot between 1/30s and 1/125s… But, knock on wood, I’m getting sharp pictures with these 2 lenses. If my memory is good, the only Pentax I had that was somewhat plagued by the shutter shock was the K-7.

To get back to the topic, if the K-3 Mk.III is of any indication, the K-1 Mk.III will not come cheap. So the K-1 II is still a good buy, especially used. But that depends on which feature would really be important in a Mk.III. Personally, the sensor resolution is good enough. I'm still astonished at how a small patch on my 30” monitor can be a readable plate at 100% view. So I would not wait for an Image Quality improvement on Mk.III. But a touch screen LCD for easier focusing in Liveview would be nice. And of course bring the AF improvements from the K-3 Mk.III. Otherwise not much is missing from the K-1 which makes it still relevant today IMHO.
While 36MP is still good, I think considering the very long time between updates, I would like to see a 60 or at least 42 MP sensor. With cycles between cameras about 8-10 years or more, I don't want to be at the end of that cycle wishing for more MP. That said, I would be happy with a K1 III with the K3 III auto focus, plus whatever refinements have come in the last couple years. I would like to see burst speed and buffer, but overall just better AF. If they released a k1 III with the tech in the K3 III, that would be the ultimate camera for me.

Last edited by pblogic; 06-29-2023 at 06:03 PM. Reason: spelling
06-30-2023, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Whatever they release will need to be viable on the market for at least 7 to 8 years with minor tweaks.

The K-3 III is now just over 2 years old. It has received multiple firmware updates that actually added functionality (or improved it). It has also had two variations released in this time (All Black, Monochrome). I would expect Pentax to do the same kind of thing with a K-1 III. I guess the 61 megapixel sensor can do up 10 fps and 4K video (just looking at Sony's specs) and I think that would be plenty for a K-1 III. If you are wanting more megapixels, throw in a couple of different pixel shift modes and I think most people would be happy.

At least they would be if they include a screen that flips/moves...
07-18-2023, 03:32 PM   #162
cls

I'm curious - how long from announcement of new model to release (how long was K3iii?) I think I would want word of intent in the next 6 months (announcement) to prevent me from buying into another system within then next 12-24 months if I thought a new FF was more than 1.5-2 years out.