Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2022, 01:18 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The 43 is the weakest of the old limited lenses. I bought it because I thought it would be an interesting lens on APS-C. I never grew to like the thing though.
Like you I bought mine for APSC - thinking that since the DA 40 limited was a hit with me the FA 43 couldn't miss... I was wrong. I'm not sure exactly where it went astray for me. Maybe just hyped expectations? In any case it didn't stay that long. The copy I bought was Chris Rankin's old copy and while he certainly had good shots out of it - I never clicked with it. I do tend to go longer for portraits since mine are not in a studio and I typically have the room to back up if desired... but the DA 40 has always been an exception to that.

Strange.

01-31-2022, 02:21 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Like you I bought mine for APSC - thinking that since the DA 40 limited was a hit with me the FA 43 couldn't miss... I was wrong. I'm not sure exactly where it went astray for me. Maybe just hyped expectations? In any case it didn't stay that long. The copy I bought was Chris Rankin's old copy and while he certainly had good shots out of it - I never clicked with it. I do tend to go longer for portraits since mine are not in a studio and I typically have the room to back up if desired... but the DA 40 has always been an exception to that.

Strange.
I bought mine on the theory that a long standard would be something I would like. Nope.
Also too much cowbell for my taste.
01-31-2022, 02:32 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The copy I bought was Chris Rankin's old copy and while he certainly had good shots out of it - I never clicked with it.
Were you taking photos of his models? Well, there ya go.

I don't have either the D FA* 85 or the FA 77, but I sure enjoy the images I see from either lens. In particular, the 85 is one of the few lenses that consistently causes my jaw to drop. Amazing optics.

- Craig
01-31-2022, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Were you taking photos of his models? Well, there ya go.

I don't have either the D FA* 85 or the FA 77, but I sure enjoy the images I see from either lens. In particular, the 85 is one of the few lenses that consistently causes my jaw to drop. Amazing optics.

- Craig
LOL - No. My wife would have killed me if I was anywhere near those women. No matter how innocently I might approach it she would be unhappy and I prefer she stays happy... to be clear I have never given her any reason to distrust me but she had a bad experience with a former husband so...

01-31-2022, 05:28 PM - 3 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The 43 is the weakest of the old limited lenses.
It performs better on a monochrome sensor such as the one used in the Leica monochrom. For commercial work I'd recommend the DFA*50mm f/1.4. I also work with Zeiss OTUS lenses on my Nikon cameras, and I find that the DFA*50mm f/1.4 can compete on equal footing - albeit the DFA50 has AF while the Zeiss lenses don't.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-02-2022 at 01:06 AM.
02-01-2022, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #36

I'm surprised at the somewhat negative views of the 43. On APSC it became my all-time favourite lens. Always seems as if the photographs taken with it just have more...character, depth, I dunno. Didnt care for it that much on 35mm, though
02-03-2022, 07:25 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
totally agree, K-1 + DFA*85/1.4 is very powerful combination even wide open.
Amazing work!

I like how the model selection, hair, lighting and processing makes it look like it was one of those romance novel covers.

02-03-2022, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Waffles Quote
I'm surprised at the somewhat negative views of the 43. On APSC
On APS-C you can't see the corners, ah what blissful ignorance.
02-04-2022, 12:25 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Ha. That might be part of it. On film it was alright but on APSC it's become my favourite landscape lens....I prefer the field of view on the crop but better corners is definitely a bonus
02-04-2022, 03:23 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ironically I didn't care for it on APSC that much. I tried it on my Sony full frame and didn't find it worse - but I really disliked the lack of close focus. I find it strange that I get on OK with the DA 40 and not the FA 43... I'm apparently strange.
02-04-2022, 04:31 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find it strange that I get on OK with the DA 40 and not the FA 43... I'm apparently strange.
I know quite a few photographers whom don't get along with weirdly specific focal lengths - I have a colleague that HATES 85mm lenses, another that detests 100mm macro lenses and another that can't stand working with any lens longer than 35mm.
02-05-2022, 02:23 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just ordered a used FA 50mm F1.4 Lens so I can compare it with the 43 for 3/4 body portraits.

I hovered over the HD DFA 50 f1.4 for ages, but I kept on coming back to the sizes of the new lenses (85 & 50). It wasn't really the price, just the physicality. I'm fine using the heavy 15-30, but then that's for landscapes or interiors. It's for portraits where I (think) I prefer a lighter lens, working in a smaller, confined area.

Maybe my plastic 50 will be just different to the 43 - marginally better in some areas, worse in others. Looking forward to testing it. Just need Covid to clear off properly so I can pick up portraiture again in our home.

This has drifted off topic a little, but it's still on portraiture with a divergence towards alternative lenses to the new, D FA 85 & 50. Hope the OP doesn't object ...
02-05-2022, 07:52 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Question to the thread...

Just how much better is the DFA 50 f1.4 than the 50 1.7 in practical usage?

I only have the 50 macro (for macro/repro) and an old 50 f1.4 I got for not much just for the subject isolation quality. But I keep hearing good things about the f1.7. Since the K1mkII is not my main rig, I doubt I'll ever get the DFA 50 f1.4 unless I come into a lot of money.
02-05-2022, 08:27 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Just how much better is the DFA 50 f1.4 than the 50 1.7 in practical usage?
Night and day, I will admit I never liked the Pentax 50mm f/1.7 Lenses: 54.2mm T=1.78 lenses just don't do it for me.
02-05-2022, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Night and day, I will admit I never liked the Pentax 50mm f/1.7 Lenses: 54.2mm T=1.78 lenses just don't do it for me.
The 50/1.7s are basically 55s? So that is why it feels noticeably more cramped on the K-1 than the 43*. And here I was puzzled. Huh.

(I do like the rendering of the 50mm f/1.7s and very much enjoyed using the M50/1.7 on the K-7 - I think the Pentaxes handily beat the Canikon equivalents, which make less pleasing photos IMHO)

*The 43 has become the "lives on the camera" lens. The 28-105 is jealous. I need help.