Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 77 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2022, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #61
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Typically the kind of thing said before a break-up or a divorce...
I couldn't possible comment... cos Lady Kerrowdown said I couldn't.

02-23-2022, 09:03 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
I do not talk about OP's shots using f1.4 but about studio shots in general. It is common practice to use f8 for studio shots.
DFA*85/1.4 at f1.4 is very sharp lens and I like it and use it often wide open when I shoot outdoor, but studio shots at this aperture have some specificity due to shorter distances (not all studios are big): you can shoot face looking directly to the camera, but try to turn the head a little and one eye will be out of focus. For this reason (and for other reasons of image postprocessing / editing / photoshoping) many shoot in studio at higher aperture values.
Fair enough. I was speaking to the topic at hand and a claim the OPs shots could have been done with a kit zoom. Maybe they could have if enough other stuff had changed to allow it.
Otherwise, not so much.
02-23-2022, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That's going to be a hard one to match with a kit zoom.
Sure it is, if you have a 24-85mm f/1.4 kit zoom* lying around. IMO the Sigma Art 18-35mm f/1.8 fails to supplant primes even though it is every bit as fast....speed, isn't everything.

* Contax once commissioned Carl Zeiss to make a 28-80mm f/2 zoom to pair with one of their top-of-the-line SLRs. The prototype optically flawless, but so absurdly large and heavy it was described as holding a brick of depleted uranium: eventually contax requested a re-design and reduced the specified aperture down to f/3.8~f/5.6 and this shaved the weight down to 1/8th of the original design. Lesson to be learned here - be careful what you ask for.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-23-2022 at 06:47 PM.
02-24-2022, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Sure it is, if you have a 24-85mm f/1.4 kit zoom* lying around. IMO the Sigma Art 18-35mm f/1.8 fails to supplant primes even though it is every bit as fast....speed, isn't everything.

* Contax once commissioned Carl Zeiss to make a 28-80mm f/2 zoom to pair with one of their top-of-the-line SLRs. The prototype optically flawless, but so absurdly large and heavy it was described as holding a brick of depleted uranium: eventually contax requested a re-design and reduced the specified aperture down to f/3.8~f/5.6 and this shaved the weight down to 1/8th of the original design. Lesson to be learned here - be careful what you ask for.
Lol. I love this. I once had a friends sister try to use a flash for a moon shot. Our response was similar. We suggested a flash bright enough for that might burn off the atmosphere nearby. Plus the delay for the light to return would complicate things.

02-24-2022, 02:27 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a large fan of the tiny M85/2.
I've never done comparisons since if it sucks it does so in ways I like I had an opteka 85/1.8 on Nikon and it was ..not good below 2.8 or so.
02-24-2022, 09:00 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I'm a large fan of the tiny M85/2.
Me too.