Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2022, 07:29 AM - 17 Likes   #1

Pentax K1 Mark ii with 85mm 1.4 Portrait

Have shot will all the brands...just picked up the K1 ii with the 85mm lens. Love this combination. This is shot with a continuous light in a mola demi reflector.

Attached Images

01-27-2022, 07:48 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting... it's always nice to see images from people who put more into it than I do, just to remind me it can be done.
Excellent work..
01-27-2022, 09:12 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by croutt Quote
Have shot will all the brands...just picked up the K1 ii with the 85mm lens. Love this combination. This is shot with a continuous light in a mola demi reflector.
Yeah, great combo, great results. Nice to see someone with other brand experience. What was your continuous light source in the Mola Demi?
01-27-2022, 10:26 AM - 14 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

totally agree, K-1 + DFA*85/1.4 is very powerful combination even wide open.

01-27-2022, 12:19 PM   #5

Wow, both photos are amazing.
01-27-2022, 12:33 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeStnly Quote
Wow, both photos are amazing.
Will we finally get the interest in the new 85 that it deserves? Images like these should do the trick. I was so impressed early on with mine that I decided there was no reason to hold on to my FA85. Great lens no question, but the HD FA85 is yet another step above.
01-27-2022, 01:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice images. I wonder if anyone has done a comparison with the 77 Ltd? Not just a test chart, but real life portraiture. I suspect the 85mm will sometimes perform better outside than the 77, but how do they compare in a studio environment? The 77 has wonderful character and separation, as I'm suspecting does the 85, but the 77's handling is very convenient, whereas the 85 is very large and heavy, which, to me, seems a big negative. Anyone any views ...?

01-27-2022, 01:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Very nice images. I wonder if anyone has done a comparison with the 77 Ltd? Not just a test chart, but real life portraiture. I suspect the 85mm will sometimes perform better outside than the 77, but how do they compare in a studio environment? The 77 has wonderful character and separation, as I'm suspecting does the 85, but the 77's handling is very convenient, whereas the 85 is very large and heavy, which, to me, seems a big negative. Anyone any views ...?
To play devils advocate- wouldn’t the advantages of the FA 77 only really be in play outside the studio? The size and weight and bulk of the 85 shouldn’t be much of a factor in the studio.
01-27-2022, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
To play devils advocate- wouldn’t the advantages of the FA 77 only really be in play outside the studio? The size and weight and bulk of the 85 shouldn’t be much of a factor in the studio.
'Devils advocate' is fine by me. I do it all the time. Drives my better half crazy :-)

True, in some ways, but the SMC (less so the HD) can flare and CA is an irritation to some (not me), thus my outside comment. The smallness of the 77 is less in the models face than I would think the 85 would be - easier to move around. I'm happy with the 77 - just curious to hear how it holds up against 77 with real people shots.
01-27-2022, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Light was a Godox 150 Continuous Light. Floor is concrete so gave some fill in shadows.
01-27-2022, 03:24 PM - 3 Likes   #11

Original Poster
Here are three more images from the same shoot. All three with the Mola Demi overhead and above model. Godox 150 Continuous Light.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
01-27-2022, 03:28 PM - 4 Likes   #12

Original Poster
This one is a Godox 150 Continuous light straight on. I've included a pullback shot here.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
01-27-2022, 05:49 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really good work. I’m impressed.
01-30-2022, 11:09 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
It might seem to be a big negative to those who haven't used the lens. Once one has used the lens, knowledge creeps into the conversation and the concerns are rendered nonexistent.
The 85 is plain and simply a much better lens in every respect than the 77. It's hands down no contest. I tend to shoot portraits off a tripod, so the weight isn't a concern. Having said that I shot a couple of outdoor sessions with the 85 last fall handheld and the weight was not a concern. Actually, when shooting handheld the extra weight is to the photographer's advantage.
01-30-2022, 11:21 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It might seem to be a big negative to those who haven't used the lens. Once one has used the lens, knowledge creeps into the conversation and the concerns are rendered nonexistent.
The 85 is plain and simply a much better lens in every respect than the 77. It's hands down no contest. I tend to shoot portraits off a tripod, so the weight isn't a concern. Having said that I shot a couple of outdoor sessions with the 85 last fall handheld and the weight was not a concern. Actually, when shooting handheld the extra weight is to the photographer's advantage.
(No) thanks for that Bill

Why would you say "hands down" better? I tend to stay between f4 and f8 (f5.6 favourite). Only use flash, no natural light and I tend to move around a bit. Still "hands down" better?