Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2022, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #46

I think, before we hold it in our hands, there will be two years of announcements.

09-27-2022, 08:39 AM   #47

How many mega pixels does one need?

I love my k1ii, but I can't email the full size image on Gmail. Not even the jpg file.

36 mp seems plenty. Maybe even too many for the non pro person...
09-27-2022, 08:59 AM - 2 Likes   #48

Almost impossible to know. But, this is my guess, and also opinion.
2022: no
2023: maybe, but not likely
2024: yes, I think this is the year.
2025: Yes, that is possible
2026: maybe, but not likely
2027: no

Unfortunately, for me, this is very bad timnig.

I wanted K-1 III instead of K-3 III, i.e. in 2021. And I do not want to wait to 2024. Therefore I am looking for alternatives. I might buy K-1 III even if I have got myself alternatives. Maybe.

---------- Post added 09-27-22 at 09:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RoseyD Quote
How many mega pixels does one need?

I love my k1ii, but I can't email the full size image on Gmail. Not even the jpg file.

36 mp seems plenty. Maybe even too many for the non pro person...
There is nothing wrong with many pixels. That mobile phones have 50 or 200 MP is not a joke. The reason for that is threefold
  1. Bayer pattern gives low local contrast
  2. Many pixels make it possible to crop, i.e. digital zoom.
  3. Scaling for video is simpler.

Cameras with more pixels generally take cleaner pictures.
09-27-2022, 09:08 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
No idea. But I always ask this follow up question.... What does a 36MP FF camera like the K-1 II not have, that anyone would need ?

The MP race ended a number of years ago in my view. The game is now all about processing software....Super resolution et al.
I would say my desire would be more rapid focusing. Sports, birding, etc. would all benefit. That would be the only real improvement. Make it focus like the K-3iii.

09-27-2022, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Kind of my thoughts as well, but I don't have one. Judging by other comments, I think better autofocus, higher frame rate, larger buffer, and faster buffer clearing are tops of the list. Maybe higher dynamic range and ISO ability?
+1
but I just hope they won't retire the internal GPS unit at the profit of a smaller body... or retire some of the exceptional features of the K-1 (night lights, Pixelshif, popup back screen, etc)
I know... they now have other means, like a link to smartphone that never works when you need it, the new gps-less-astrotracer FW in the K-3III (but that does't do geotagging) and they have recently issue a new O-GPS 2 unit that doesn't hold charge with a single AAA battery,
Peronally I 100% prefer the internal GPS for geotagging, never faild on my K-1 or K-3ii. Maybe it could be combined with the external O-GPS 2 to get more accuracy during astrotracer function (Not sure how they could do that though), but ...if it ain't broke, don't fix it please!
09-27-2022, 09:50 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Roland Karlsson Quote
There is nothing wrong with many pixels. That mobile phones have 50 or 200 MP is not a joke.
The 64MP camera in my phone would beg to differ. Such high pixel density in these tiny sensors cause massive amounts of noise. I think most phones with such high resolutions are actually pixel binning, which results in a final image of 1/4 resolution. I.e. My 64MP sensor bins down to 16MP final output unless I specify 64MP. It's almost like Pixel Shift, only using a single exposure.
09-27-2022, 10:06 AM   #52

36mp is enough for use in many ways.

If still have the next model, The 1st thing that Pentax must add to their camera is better focusing.

Last edited by studioomg; 09-28-2022 at 07:40 PM.
09-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Kind of my thoughts as well, but I don't have one. Judging by other comments, I think better autofocus, higher frame rate, larger buffer, and faster buffer clearing are tops of the list. Maybe higher dynamic range and ISO ability?
My thoughts exactly. I can work with existing DR & ISO capabilities but the other mentioned features are critical for some of my photography.
09-27-2022, 11:14 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RoseyD Quote
How many mega pixels does one need? .... 36 mp seems plenty. Maybe even too many for the non pro person...
If Pentax do not at least equal or better the 45 MPx of the Nikon D850 that was introduced 5 years ago, probably the closest yardstick relevant to the evolution of Pentax K-1 family, it will be another public relations disaster like the K3iii not having a flip screen. Whether many or any people need it is beside the point because to sell things you need to tick the boxes.
09-27-2022, 02:06 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Pentax is obviously working on something right now. I think Wheatfield's guess about the end of next year is most likely. Certainly it could take longer than that, but my hope is that a lot of the firmware has been hammered out with the K-3 III already and it won't take quite as long as some of the skeptics think.

We can guess about things that will remain the same and what will change from the K-1 II to the K-1 III.

Different:

1. Joystick. I'm pretty sure they will add a joystick to this model for focus point adjustment.

2. Touch screen. Unlike the K-3 III the K-1 III will have an adjustable screen (probably same as current) but will add touch screen capability.

3. Improved video capability. At a minimum the new model will support 4K 30p. I know this isn't a big deal to most Pentaxians, but since the software is done and the sensors all support it, why not?

4. Faster card support. I imagine that Pentax will continue to use SD Cards, but they will have dual slots that support much faster write speeds -- hopefully even faster than what the K-3 III can. Assuming a higher megapixel sensor, it makes sense to be able to clear the buffer quickly.

5. Higher megapixels. Pentax will use one of the Sony sensors and I can't imagine them going lower than 40 megapixels. That only leaves a couple of options for them.

6. Faster frame rate. I don't imagine that Pentax will be trying to even match the K-3 III frame rate. Most likely they will try for something in the 7 fps range, even if it means throttling back a sensor that is capable of higher frame rates.

7. K-3 III auto focus algorithm with full frame PDAF array.

Same:

1. Ergonomics will be pretty much the same, as will body size. Other than the addition of the joystick, it seems likely that everything will stay basically the same.

2. Focus on still image quality. This has always been the case, but Pentax will continue to tweak the sensor to get the most out of it from a still photography standpoint.

3. Accelerator. There will probably be a new generation of the accelerator, but I don't see them getting rid of this.

4. GPS. I think it is likely that Pentax will attempt to keep GPS on this model, which hopefully would also mean built in astro tracer (although I suppose they could go with the calculated version from the K-3 III).

I wonder about things like pixel shift -- could they add new versions of this for higher resolution? Could they do a new battery for longer battery life? Will they do a new, brighter pentaprism like on the K-3 III?

Depending on what they throw into this camera it could be quite expensive, but at the same time it could be the last camera that most of us need for 6 or 7 years.
My guess is that much, if not all of what you suggest will be the case. For their “flagship” camera, I would be surprised if the new prism glass wasn’t included. I would think that the lightweight mirror design of the K-3iii might be adapted for the K-1iii, which would support a greater frame rate, and (by then, hopefully) falling memory price would allow a bigger buffer. Improved AF will surely be included.

Ii’s also possible that a 36 MP sensor won’t be available for a long production-run model that doesn’t appear until late 2023 or early 2024, but I don’t know enough about the industry to be certain about that.

Some here have expressed a dislike for the K-3iii’s touch-sensitive rear screen, but I do like it, and I think it would be foolish to not include one on the next K-1 version. After all, if you don’t like it, you can always turn it off.

I would guess that the initial price will be around $4,000-4,500(AUD).
09-27-2022, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #56

Maybe the 645 needs a bump first

I _LOVE_ my K-1 Mk1 to pieces!! Whatta' beast!

However, I think the 645Z needs a bump first. Given the success that Fujifilm has had with Medium Format...using the same sensor as the 645Z in some models...I'd like to see a bump for the 645 first. It's older than the K-1. I've made my peace with the limited number of AF points - I shoot 30k-60k photos/year. But, I wouldn't complain if the next K-1 had over 100 AF points.

Well, that and "someday" I'd like to try my hand with MF and if I'm going there, I'd rather stay in the happy Pentax family, with a camera who's dynamic range and AF points, merits the hefty jump in price. Right now, I'm not convinced the 645's image quality is worth 3x the price of a K-1.

-Joe
09-27-2022, 02:39 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mtathos Quote
Can anyone venture to guess when we might get a mark 3 version of the K1 and how many megapixels do you think it will have?
Cheers!
I think i'd rather have better AF and a larger buffer and faster clearing rather than more megapixels. a faster frame rate would be nice but not super high on my list. I agree with some others here that the megapixel race is over and its now just, hey look at how many we have. the 61 MP sensor still has the same space as a 36 or 42 to place them. I just do not see the advantage
09-27-2022, 02:54 PM   #58
chd
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Roland Karlsson Quote
There is nothing wrong with many pixels.
I don't know that I agree with that. Assuming you keep the same sensor size, more pixels = smaller pixels. I want bigger pixels.
09-27-2022, 03:12 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mtathos Quote
Can anyone venture to guess when we might get a mark 3 version of the K1 and how many megapixels do you think it will have?
Cheers!
I don’t really have a problem with the current resolution. However, if I’m given 50mp or 100mp, I wouldn’t say no. I just wouldn’t want that to pump the price up too much, nor be at the expense of dynamic range and low light performance.
09-27-2022, 03:44 PM   #60
chd
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DamienW Quote
I just wouldn’t want that to [...] be at the expense of dynamic range and low light performance.
It seems to me that it would have to be, because smaller pixels as above - though I don't have a good idea whether the difference would be significant. I'm sure someone can bring the math.