Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2022, 08:34 AM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote
How many people here use VIDEO ? Maybe they could make THAT a purchasable option
Yeah they could charge more for photography only cameras. Special version without live view and video.

11-03-2022, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #242
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How many people here use VIDEO ? Maybe they could make THAT a purchasable option
My personal preference would be no video if other features for still photography could be added or current features enhanced such as frame rate and buffering but that's just me
11-03-2022, 03:47 PM - 2 Likes   #243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Given that the hardware has the capability built in, the only option you’d get would be to ignore it.
11-06-2022, 07:45 AM - 2 Likes   #244
Pentaxian

Video is just a compensation for really high frame rate :-)

A K1iii is due, but K3iii was already delayed and the chip and transportation crisis is far from over, give 1-2 years. K3iii interface, updated AF, new lenses along with in lens stabilization support, higher frame rate, …, enough resolution to replace the 645 system. Features that allow a second, lower spec ff model below. If K3iii finally matches D500 + it’s a Pentax with Pentax feeling, K1iii should be close to a D850 + Pentax features.
My K1(ii) is aging and controls feel a little outdated next to K3iii. Performance of K1 is still very good, but the new apsc model is so much more responsive.

11-06-2022, 03:50 PM   #245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Video is just a compensation for really high frame rate :-)

A K1iii is due, but K3iii was already delayed and the chip and transportation crisis is far from over, give 1-2 years. K3iii interface, updated AF, new lenses along with in lens stabilization support, higher frame rate, …, enough resolution to replace the 645 system. Features that allow a second, lower spec ff model below. If K3iii finally matches D500 + it’s a Pentax with Pentax feeling, K1iii should be close to a D850 + Pentax features.
My K1(ii) is aging and controls feel a little outdated next to K3iii. Performance of K1 is still very good, but the new apsc model is so much more responsive.
I agree that the responsiveness of the K-3iii outshines that of the K-1/ii, but its market segment (sub-segment?) is different, if overlapping in parts. Still, now that sales of the K-3iii are probably settling from the initial surge, Ricoh’s production capacity and chip pipeline should be freed up for a new K-1 variant.

Realistically, the only lenses that would benefit from the in-lens stabilisation would be those with a focal length of 300 and above. Some would say only above 300, but that ignores their use on APS-C (particularly handheld) and with a tele-converter, or both. Currently, that’s only two lenses, the DA*300 and the DFA150-450, and with the forthcoming DFA70-300 (or thereabouts) that makes only three at most.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 11-07-2022 at 01:52 PM.
11-07-2022, 02:35 AM   #246
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I do not think the screw drive is accurate enough for fine adjustments. And there may be to much variation in each steps.
It may not matter that much for each step, but if you do a series on 100 shots it might be difficult to predict how much the will shift in all the steps, as it may vary from one series of shots to the next.
I'd think that you do need PLM lens for focus stacking. Already AF precision is much better with PLM than even SDM or DC lenses, with K-3III. Which has by far the best AF from previous pentax cameras.

---------- Post added 11-07-22 at 12:54 ----------

I'v already bought a caera system that has very high quality video and takes high quality stills too That is the purchaseable option if Video is needed, although a bit expensive one.

That said, IF K-1III would have improved close up to the 'competition' grade video(for example the Nikon), it would not hurt. Then again, it has been said by Pentax/Ricoh that their prime is photography. They are not interested of these 'hybrid' cameras. This does take me back to the beginning about options

I still love my Pentax and would be interested of trading in my K-3III in favor of K-1III, if it will be as well a big improvement over previous model. If not, I'll stick with K-3III which is already very nice camera.

price for K-1II is very affordable right now. next K-1III will propably be 3000 € and more. So it should have some nice features, or people will just not go there, this has been the case with K-3III already. For many it was also too much, because of so many alternatives for that same price. So in that case atleast 45 MP should be nice(I know it is nice). IMO it is not bad nor too big. Even 60 should be good, but that ISO performance might be of an issue, but it is where the 'future' is(45 MP there abouts, not interested of 24 MP FF - my personal preference and experience- ). This might be problem for some in terms of computing power/storage.
11-07-2022, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #247
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
My personal preference would be no video if other features for still photography could be added or current features enhanced such as frame rate and buffering but that's just me
You do understand that increasing frame rate and buffer size are the reasons why current cameras have video capability? Assuming a sensor with a read out speed capable of video and adequate memory and write speed, the only other thing required to have video is firmware capable of handling it. Pentax already has that firmware. It is a sunk cost and was necessary to boost the K-3 III's performance. To leave video off, you would actually have to create a firmware that was not video enabled which doesn't feel like it would sell many cameras, particularly when most of the competitors have video enabled out of the box.

11-07-2022, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #248
Pentaxian

Yeah they could charge more for photography only cameras. Special version without live view and video.
My opinion is the opposite - good live view, along with some form of multi-directional movable screen (I like the K1 moon-lander design but others work too) is incredibly helpful for framing up more creative shots. I quite like the viewfinder on my K33, but taking time to frame up a composition, or taking shots from extreme angles (down low for shorebirds for example) is difficult. Add in the mediocre LV AF and most of my shorebird photos turn out to be photos of rocks.

The things that make a camera a good video camera add up to making it an even better photo camera. I'm really struggling with expanding my lens collection with an eye to upgrading from the K3-3 to a K1-3 knowing how much more the A7IV would contribute to my photography. If I knew the K1-3 would add on-sensor PDAF, better subject recognition and eye tracking with LV-AF-C, then it'd be a no brainer to grab a few more lenses. But if it ends up being a full-frame K3-3, then it'd be a disappointment.
11-08-2022, 03:17 AM   #249
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
My opinion is the opposite - good live view, along with some form of multi-directional movable screen (I like the K1 moon-lander design but others work too) is incredibly helpful for framing up more creative shots. I quite like the viewfinder on my K33, but taking time to frame up a composition, or taking shots from extreme angles (down low for shorebirds for example) is difficult. Add in the mediocre LV AF and most of my shorebird photos turn out to be photos of rocks.

The things that make a camera a good video camera add up to making it an even better photo camera. I'm really struggling with expanding my lens collection with an eye to upgrading from the K3-3 to a K1-3 knowing how much more the A7IV would contribute to my photography. If I knew the K1-3 would add on-sensor PDAF, better subject recognition and eye tracking with LV-AF-C, then it'd be a no brainer to grab a few more lenses. But if it ends up being a full-frame K3-3, then it'd be a disappointment.
To be honest, I think that there will be FF K-3III, with the exception that it will propably have moonlander kind of flippy, and possibly some more advanced HI res photo innovations. it will be more photo centric and the key element is the OFV(DSLR) and focus system around that. Video will most likely be 8 bit 4K with quite a bit of jello and crop, unless the sensor is low(24-32) MP and/or they will find a way to get readouts very much higher than it is with K-3III. If video is important and fast and responsive LV, AF-C. Then you would be better off searching that for example from that Sony. I'd say that h€ll will freeze over before those things will be found in your Pentax camera. I have Cmera for very high quality video and photos now, and I will also have Pentax for just for photography. At least as long as I can afford to run multiple systems and there is need for that. (That said, as I did mention earlier, more advanced video would be very nice bonus. But I might be in minority of pentaxians for that in mind.)

K-1III, if it will be here, will be photography oriented camera. Based on what Ricoh has been saying past years. Might be that they will change that now especially when technology is moving forward, so that many thigns are more easy to apply. But if you look forexample a Fuji GFX 50II(which is kind of competition also, atleast they say that them self) it has -only- max, Full HD 30 FPS video. Guys who buy that don't buy it for video, yes, it can do it, but that is not why they buy it. So it is not unreasonable even todays 'standards'. It has better EVF, duh, but not OVF at all...not for everybody..
11-08-2022, 12:59 PM   #250
Pentaxian

I really wish Pentax could be the camera manufacturer that gets wifi/tethering/remote control/phone sync app right. Preferable by leveraging existing, established and open standards. It seems no one has managed yet? Mostly I think the problem stems from wishing to wall in functionality and tie it to the manufacturer. By now features that fully exploit the camera wifi should be possible and stable.

Unfortunately I think the new pay for play firmware suggest Pentax is moving in the direction of trying to get more "involved" with the user. Which requires more gatekeeping but is a feature of software business models. There's no way Pentax can develop the actual features and spread it across all software and devices by themselves. So Pentax remaining in control means we never get the features.
12-11-2022, 03:30 AM   #251

Not recent article, but somehow my phone news feed presented one about the journalist wrote about his wishes of getting the K-1 III.

Maybe already linked here in this forum.
https://photofocus.com/photography/will-we-ever-see-a-pentax-k-1-iii-a-new-p...ests-we-might/
12-11-2022, 04:08 AM   #252
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by ppohja Quote
Not recent article, but somehow my phone news feed presented one about the journalist wrote about his wishes of getting the K-1 III.

Maybe already linked here in this forum.
https://photofocus.com/photography/will-we-ever-see-a-pentax-k-1-iii-a-new-p...ests-we-might/
It has its very own thread...
Others speculation about Pentax K-1III - PentaxForums.com[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by Unregistered User; 12-11-2022 at 04:17 AM.
12-13-2022, 06:19 PM   #253
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
If Ricoh were to say the next FF camera was coming out next year it would have a chilling effect on sales of the current camera. People would either defer their purchase or be looking for substantial run-out discounts, neither outcome is good for business. Getting the timing right for launching new product isn't easy.
Many models seemed to me to be introduced in the fall, just after my landscape photography in the mountains vacation. My uneducated guess is Oct 2023 +- a month for an introduction, availability not long after.
12-13-2022, 07:16 PM   #254
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not think the screw drive is accurate enough for fine adjustments. And there may be to much variation in each steps.
It may not matter that much for each step, but if you do a series on 100 shots it might be difficult to predict how much the will shift in all the steps, as it may vary from one series of shots to the next.
I don't know if that kind of ultimate accuracy is required. I do my focus stacks simply by turning the ring a little bit between shots. It's not even close to being precise increments and things generally work well enough.
If the focus is out by a few millimeters per shot, it's not going to show up in the finished product as long as enough exposures are made for the focus resolution to be more than the DoF.
Having said that, I think it's more likely this sort of feature would be reserved for the integral focus motor lenses. It would be an incentive to buy into the D FA lenses.
12-20-2022, 07:22 PM   #255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, at this point all I have to say is, be careful what you wish for! It would seem, a K-1 III would be outfitted with the same sensor as the Nikon D850, which is still current with their top Z7II and Z9, if Pentax history is a good indication. That in mind, be sure to find the "CameraVille" youtube video comparing sensor quality between the Sony 7rIII, the Nikon D850, and the Pentax K-1, using actual imaging- not theory, DXO machines, or graphs. If I did not already have one, after seeing this truly meaningful test video, I would hasten to grab a new Pentax K-1 II while they are still available!!