Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2022, 09:29 AM   #1

New k1 III

It would be nice instead of the k1 III to come on the scene is, Ricoh just start focusing how they can turn out a medium format with it. That is, having a smaller format like the fujifilm 100s. It would help them get ahead of the game, but then again, if not, I would not be surprise if Nikon is already working on it as well as canon.

09-28-2022, 09:59 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why would they release several high-end lenses for full-frame, just to make them all but useless with a change to medium format?

Besides, Pentax *already* has a camera in the format of the Fuji GFX. In fact, it's had one of those since before Fuji made a digital ILC. It's called 645Z (which could use an upgrade, but it definitely won't substitute the K-1 series).
09-28-2022, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How does one get ahead by investing resources on a smaller niche of the market?

I believe Ricoh has understood that every dollar they invest in medium format will return a lot less than if invested in smaller formats. Nikon and Canon aswell.
09-28-2022, 11:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pringlek Quote
It would be nice instead of the k1 III to come on the scene is, Ricoh just start focusing how they can turn out a medium format with it. That is, having a smaller format like the fujifilm 100s. It would help them get ahead of the game, but then again, if not, I would not be surprise if Nikon is already working on it as well as canon.
I am confused. Pentax already has a medium format line. An update for that would be nice, but is going to be expensive and sales are limited. Why spread themselves even thinner ?

There is no "game" to be got ahead of.

09-28-2022, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Unregistered User

Yet another K1 mark lll thread?
09-28-2022, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
More like "not another K-1 MkIII thread" and another misleading thread title.
09-28-2022, 02:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pringlek Quote
The lift from full frame to digital medium format is pretty small. The lenses are part of the appeal and without a new lens lineup the existing lenses have a massive registration distance which makes a k-1 style body a non-starter.

09-28-2022, 03:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can always shoot a medium format file size of stationary subjects by shooting multiple full-frame K-1 shots and stitching them, if file size is what you're after. Otherwise 36Mpix is pretty close to medium format (as UncleVanya pointed out) and will tax many lenses (which can be the real limiting factor). Note that moving to medium format has some significant costs in terms of camera and lenses, and some lenses which are available for the K-1 just don't exist in medium format.
09-28-2022, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I definitely get you, but perhaps all these Mark III posts speak to a notable level of demand for the upgrade?

---------- Post added 09-28-22 at 07:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
You can always shoot a medium format file size of stationary subjects by shooting multiple full-frame K-1 shots and stitching them, if file size is what you're after.
When I owned a 645D, I really enjoyed shooting with it in a photojournalistic style at events. Those were not stitch-able moments.
09-28-2022, 04:50 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
You can always shoot a medium format file size of stationary subjects by shooting multiple full-frame K-1 shots and stitching them, if file size is what you're after. Otherwise 36Mpix is pretty close to medium format (as UncleVanya pointed out) and will tax many lenses (which can be the real limiting factor). Note that moving to medium format has some significant costs in terms of camera and lenses, and some lenses which are available for the K-1 just don't exist in medium format.
It’s not just the mp file size, the sensors in 645 digital cameras are typically only a 0.79 crop - a difference smaller than the delta between full frame and apsc.
09-28-2022, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #11
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
I definitely get you, but perhaps all these Mark III posts speak to a notable level of demand for the upgrade?.
Indeed, but stop starting new threads and just join in with the existing one(s).
09-28-2022, 11:54 PM - 5 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

stop starting new threads and just join in with the existing one(s).
I quite agree.

As this thread has brought nothing new to the table, it is now closed.
Closed Thread