Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2022, 07:55 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I have been using the Pentax IR Remote Control F. I have never had any problems with it—I even put it through the washer and dryer and it still worked! I keep it in a little thumb drive carrier clipped to by camera bag. I think my first F remote lasted about 10 years with occasional use.

I like the 28-105 lens. Very similar to the 18-135 or 16-85 for the crop sensor.

The colors shooting at night with the K-1 are incredible! Make sure to try it out at night.

I did buy a small flash for taking indoor snapshots. At the time, I bought the Metz 26 AF2 which could fit in your pocket. Metz is out of business, but I think Godax makes something similar. I have a higher power flash if I am actually doing studio-quality portraits, but I leave the small flash in my bag all the time.

10-03-2022, 09:00 AM   #17
dlhawes

My suggestion would be to use the instruction book in pdf format that's on the dvd that comes with the camera and go through the settings in the menu system one by one. All of them, whether you think you'll use them or not. As you go through the settings with the instruction manual, your object is to learn what each one does so you can set it (or decline to do so) intelligently. Since there's a lot more to know than will fit in the manual, I suggest looking any settings you can't figure out on YouTube, as there's almost certainly someone out there who's got a good explanation.

Or alternatively, as that approach requires a good bit of patience and self-discipline, you could just set it on automatic mode and use it to record JPEG's. Though I think that using the K-1 as a snapshot camera would be a terrible waste.

A relatively inexpensive remote trigger button is easy to come by but gets much more expensive, complicated and therefore less useful as you add features like built-in intervalometers and such. The one I got, brand name is "Velo" or something like that, has a sliding thing you can use to simulate a pneumatic bulb's being continuously squeezed ("squozen"?) - I used some epoxy ("Plastic Welder") to fill in the slide so all I've got is the button - cheap, simple, easy to use. Check out the home page for this website, at the bottom are links to stores that sell such things, and if you click on those links, buy something, and tell the administrator (@Adam) that you did so, the website gets credit.

Last edited by dlhawes; 10-03-2022 at 09:06 AM.
10-04-2022, 07:35 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by MaineNative Quote
I have been using the Pentax IR Remote Control F.
I second the suggestion to go with the IR remote. A bought the one sold on Amazon, and it works like a charm. And yes, it's easy to lose because it's so tiny! It does have an attachment point for a lanyard.

On K-1, you will find IR ports both back and front, so you can trigger from either side, and you can also bounce the beam off walls in a pinch.
10-04-2022, 08:26 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PGWelch Quote
I will be receiving my new K1 kit in a day or 2 depending on FedEx. It is a very significant upgrade for me. The newest camera I own is a K10d bought in 2007.

I have been looking for an aftermarket book/manual for the k1 without any success. I love the magic lantern guide for my k10. Any suggestions?

Any must have accessories? A good cable release recommendation? Tips and tricks?

TIA
The first thing I'd suggest is a much sturdier bag as the K1 is a heavier beast than the K10 & maybe a tripod up to the extra weight, along with a cable release. Then save your cash for some updated lenses. When I bought my K1 I was so looking forward to using my FF lenses from the 70s, the 15mm in particular which I'd last used on my LX & MZ5n film camera. and which at the time cost me a small fortune, (Over $5K). What a disappointment, it was nowhere near as sharp on the digital as it was on the old film cameras & I ended up having to purchase the 15 -30 mm.
So I'd suggest before you race out & buy accessories, that you check out your lenses first to see if they are up to speed on the new K1. Have fun, it's a great camera, especially for landscapes.

10-04-2022, 08:27 AM   #20

I will be receiving my new K1 kit in a day or 2 depending on FedEx. It is a very significant upgrade for me. The newest camera I own is a K10d bought in 2007.

I have been looking for an aftermarket book/manual for the k1 without any success. I love the magic lantern guide for my k10. Any suggestions?

Any must have accessories? A good cable release recommendation? Tips and tricks?

TIA
You will LOVE the K-1 Mk II.Built like the Brooklyn Bridge with many features far exceeding it's price point. I have two K-1's and my favorite lens is the Pentax 15-30 zoom.Yes it is made by Tamron for Pentax but it is wonderful lens. The K-1 body is already heavy and this lens definitely adds to the weight but I (personally) like that.Know you will enjoy the camera.I think it is still one of the best value's in photography
10-04-2022, 10:17 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What full frame lenses do you have?
10-04-2022, 01:17 PM   #22

TIA
Congratulations! Don't forget to consider SMC lenses, manual or otherwise. I just got my 150-450 zoom after it being on my wish list for a while.

---------- Post added 10-04-22 at 01:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Not specific to the K-1, but since you are making a giant leap some of these things may be new to you:
What camera functions have you discovered long after buying the camera? -
PentaxForums.com
the Live view features!

10-04-2022, 02:15 PM - 2 Likes   #23

You're going to LOVE it
I switched from a Nikon D5300 to a K1 Mk1 about 3.5 years ago.
It really is noticeably heavier than an APS-C sensor camera. It's literally 2x as heavy as the D5300. That took about 2-3 weeks to get used to. (I shoot 30k-60k photos/year so I took "a lot" in that time.)
Once you get the initial settings for stuff like date, time and card slot formats, the only time I go into the menu system is to format both cards. EVERYTHING else I need to change is available by buttons and knobs on the body.
I used the kit 28-105 for the first year or two. Then I went to the 24-70/f2.8 and never put the kit lens on again. Got a nice B+W CPL filter for both lenses - I shoot 99.9% outdoors.
Do the firmware updates even if you don't think they really apply to you. I had a weird thing going on until I did an update that sounded like it had nothing to do with the problem. The problem was fixed.
Have fun!!
10-04-2022, 02:53 PM - 5 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One nice trick which I discovered in live view is that if you set the multi-function wheel to the white dot, otherwise sort of the "off" position, using the third control dial (the one controlled by the multi-function dial) will magnify the live view. Neat!