Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2022, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #1

Back and front focusing lenses

I was wondering about lenses back and front focusing. Is that specific to the lens or does the camera body play a role? Is the new full frame glass such as the 15-30, 24-70 and 70-200 prone to focusing issues? Is this easy to correct if it does happen and in your experience does it happen often?
Thanks in advance!
Cheers!

10-04-2022, 04:28 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is the combination of manufacturing tolerances from the lens and the camera that determine if there is front/back focusing. Therefore a lens can front or back focus on 1 camera body and be perfectly fine on another body, depending on how those tolerances work together.

I have 1 out of 5 lenses that needed corrections (I own mostly vintage lenses), if that is lucky or common I can't say.

Just for your information: lens corrections only influence the focus when using the optical viewfinder (OVF) -> PDAF
When you use LV for focusing the camera will work with a different focusing system that doesn't need AF fine tuning -> CDAF
10-04-2022, 05:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
It is the combination of manufacturing tolerances from the lens and the camera that determine if there is front/back focusing. Therefore a lens can front or back focus on 1 camera body and be perfectly fine on another body, depending on how those tolerances work together.

I have 1 out of 5 lenses that needed corrections (I own mostly vintage lenses), if that is lucky or common I can't say.

Just for your information: lens corrections only influence the focus when using the optical viewfinder (OVF) -> PDAF
When you use LV for focusing the camera will work with a different focusing system that doesn't need AF fine tuning -> CDAF
Did not know that about OVF vs. LV. Thanks for the info!
10-04-2022, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have and use a spyder lens cal, linked below. I find it really quick n easy to dial in lens calibration. As noted above it’s quite random as to what adjustment will be needed with any given camera lens combo. Once I calibrated my lenses I definitely noticed a higher rate of on focus images at wide apertures

Welcome to Spyder LensCal | Datacolor

10-05-2022, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mtathos Quote
I was wondering about lenses back and front focusing. Is that specific to the lens or does the camera body play a role? Is the new full frame glass such as the 15-30, 24-70 and 70-200 prone to focusing issues? Is this easy to correct if it does happen and in your experience does it happen often?
Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
To be honest, I never had any problem with back or front focusing with any lens. I do have a small problem with a K-7, but to overcome that problem I shoot with LV. It is a K-7 problem, all the other camera's any lens I own work perfect on them. What I do notice is, that more modern the camera, the better the results. Example: the 18-135 I used on my early Samsung GX-10 (K10d) gave very pleasing pictures, but on the KP this lens shines. It is such a fine lens, but it needs a good camera that can handle the IQ it delivers.