Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2022, 11:58 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you want a lens like the DA 55-300 PLM you have to buy Pentax. If you want best in class lenses, like the DFA* 50mm or 85mm 1.4, and probably even the "21 2.4."you have to buy Pentax. every brand has lenses, no brand has the best of everything. The DA* 300 ƒ4 would seem to meet the criteria listed above, unless you are referring to a specific 180-400mm lens.

The next eyestrain becomes how much longer with Nikon be producing quality glass for the D850? It's a great camera, some one my aquaintences just love it. But based on anecdotal personal experience, they don't have the build quality of Pentaxes. They have failed right in front of my eyes. My only Nikon purchase barely made it to 2 years.
The mentioned two FF 1.4 lenses are above 1.800,- € and the f4/180-400 with build-in TC is above 11.000,- €, if I'm right. Some professional photographers need such ... and can afford it. I'm none of them and such lenses are very heavy. The 55-300PLM is a wonderful walk around lens, I agree. I'm very happy with my Pentax gear and for myself I'm surely not looking for something else.

11-28-2022, 12:49 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
That said, many PP programs offer graduated filters as well. Later--don't know how many versions back it goes--Silkypix Pro certainly does as I've used it from time to time.
I think the promised Pentax firmware update will combine two exposures and give a single RAW image -- it seems to give better results than the digital GNDs I have used in programs like LIghtroom and Raw Therapee.
11-28-2022, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 4Vn_Shotter Quote
What do you think about Pentax K1 II vs Nikon D850?
I don't think you can lose whichever you go with, if you don't mind that Nikon is abandoning that whole DSLR platform and lenses. The new Z mount lenses will never work on the D850.

But the D850 itself is still an outstanding camera, arguably the best full frame DSLR ever made.
11-28-2022, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Nikon lenses aren’t typically poor quality, in truth there may be specific lenses Pentax has or Nikon has that one person prefers over the other. Which lenses do you have for each that are similar where (for you) the Pentax is superior?
I want to clarify I wasn't saying Nikon lenses are poor. I have several Canon bodies and L lenses too, but if I didn't shoot Pentax I'd use Nikon for my main system. In short, Nikon doesn't have Limited lenses.

I have the 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 105/2.8 macro, 300/2.8, 14-24/2.8, 17-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8 ii, and 200-400/4 lenses in G series, with the exception of the 17-35 which is an AF-D lens. These are the lenses I use on DSLRs. I recently sold my extensive F2 collection (2 bodies, 7 lenses, and several other accessories) here on the forums. I still use my F3 and F4 with several older Nikon lenses. I've replaced SWM in lenses and have two zooms now with dying SWMs in them. I had the SDM replaced under warranty in my DA 17-70/4. I prefer the FA* lenses to all AF-D lenses and even most G lenses, except the 200-400 and 24-70. I like the FA* 85 better than the 85/1.4G. The FA* 80-200 is pure magic. I prefer the FA Limited lenses to any other lenses out there.

11-28-2022, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Honestly if you are looking at Nikon I wouldn't be buying a new D850. As has been mentioned there isn't a future in Nikon DSLRs. Nikon Z would be the way to go and probably a Z7 for landscapes. The Z mount lenses are well built and beat their F mount counterparts in almost every measure. Going Z mount will drive the price up though so a Pentax K1 II starts to look very appealing. I bought into Nikon Z this year and have been happy with it. My reasons were for access to 600mm stabilized lenses, and for the better tracking AF, but you already have those covered with your D500. For landscapes there isn't any advantage. Pentax K1 has a more flexible screen, better weather sealing, more robust build, built in GPS, astrotracer, pixel shift, and enough sharp weather sealed lenses to do the job well. The K1 body is heavier and a little bigger but Z lenses can be larger and weigh more making it a wash. Resolution difference from 36mp to 45mp is smaller than it sounds. The K1 is aging and the place you will feel it vs Nikon is the operational speed of the camera (writing to storage, image playback, frames per second, buffer depth, and AF) but for landscapes those don't matter. K1 image quality is undeniably high and still holds up against newer cameras, and if you like DSLRs you know that Pentax will soon be the only maker left. If I were in your position I would probably pick up a Nikon Z7 with the Z 24-70mm F4 and the FTZ adapter allowing you to use that 150-600 on either camera. But if you want a DSLR and OVF I would get the K1 II with the 28-105mm. Alternatively the K70 should offer decent image quality. The 18-135 is a convenient lens but I was never satisfied with it's image quality. You could get the new *16-50PLM or the 16-85 and keep shooting APSC for landscapes. I understand the full frame appeal though and I personally sold off all my APSC kit.
11-28-2022, 07:47 PM - 4 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

I'm looking for a still camera mostly for landscape.
I faced the same issue. The difference being that I had a K1 already and a good selection of FF lenses to go with it. IMHO, high-end landscape work needs mega resolution as in medium format type resolution. I briefly considered 645Z and Fuji GFX bodies and lenses. However, those options would have been costly in total system (body and lenses). Going from K1 to Nikon D850 would have been an incremental move. The difference needed to be more drastic for me to make the jump.

Your K70 or the D500 will do landscapes all day. I did quite a bit of it with my K3 until I got my K1. The reason for K1 was commercial work for certain clients requiring higher resolution output. Otherwise the K3 was just fine. My question is how big do you want your prints to be. I used to own an Epson 44" printer and have printed plenty of 40"x60" prints with K1 files. They look fantastic and the colors are sublime. Nikon D850 will give you similar quality. If you want to go larger with prints, then you need to look at something beyond K1 or the Nikon 850. Otherwise, save your money by using the D500 or the K70 and buy lenses you need and do not have.

Now, if you insist on getting an FF camera, I would look at the K1 first. The feature that would stir me towards the K1 for landscape work, would be the fully articulating screen vs. the flippy screen of the D850. I used the K1 flexible screen all the time for both horizontal and vertical shots. The difference is real and goes to the ergonomics of the body. Try a low angle vertical shot as in a foot off the ground low and you will know what I am talking about.

Good luck with whatever camera you choose. Remember you already have two fantastic cameras.

Last edited by btnapa; 11-29-2022 at 09:53 AM. Reason: text
11-28-2022, 10:24 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Dear all

I'm looking for a still camera mostly for landscape.

I currently have D500 + 150-600mm for birds and am happy with it. I also have the 17-55mm 2.8 as it comes from the previous owner but I have no intention to keep it long. I have K70, I got it long ago when it was introduced with a kit lens Pentax-DA 18-135mm. I have a few other Pentax lenses but not a high-end one.

I plan to keep D500 for birds and get a camera for landscape. What do you think about Pentax K1 II vs Nikon D850? it may sound silly to have to cameras from two brands in the bag but I would not have any common lens to share between them.

--
Pure Eye Photography
Hung and Aneliya | Flickr
https://www.instagram.com/pure.eye.photography
K1 or K1ii

For the reason alone that the Nikon dslr system is no longer supported, is good enough reason.

Other reasons
1. Pixel shift
2. Astro tracer
3. flippy screen which is really useful when shooting odd angles (high/low, balanced off a few sketchy rocks )
4. Auto long exposure beyond 30s in 'B' mode

11-29-2022, 06:18 AM - 6 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
4. Auto long exposure beyond 30s in 'B' mode
This one is critical for landscape shooters and hasn't been mentioned before you brought it up. When I'm shooting long-exposure landscapes with groups of photographers, other people wonder where my remote is while they're holding down the shutter release buttons on their remotes. With the K-1 bodies in Bulb mode you can pres the "green button" to cycle between B and incremental shutter speeds between 10 seconds and 20 minutes! I love this simple feature and have not seen it in any other cameras.
11-29-2022, 07:26 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
This one is critical for landscape shooters and hasn't been mentioned before you brought it up. When I'm shooting long-exposure landscapes with groups of photographers, other people wonder where my remote is while they're holding down the shutter release buttons on their remotes. With the K-1 bodies in Bulb mode you can pres the "green button" to cycle between B and incremental shutter speeds between 10 seconds and 20 minutes! I love this simple feature and have not seen it in any other cameras.
This is a handy feature for sure, but no longer unique to Pentax as it has appeared in a lot of the newer MILC cameras. I don't think it is available in a D850 though.
11-29-2022, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #25

If the K-1II would be mainly for landscapes and relatively stationary subjects, already having a D500, I would absolutely say get the Pentax and save the money. The K-1II with a 15-30 and 70-200 is an amazing landscape combo. Outside of personal photography, if there is an image I'm proud of, it was most likely captured with a K-1II and the 15-30 or 70-200. My instagram is @s.halburian if you want to see what I've done with my K-1II.
11-29-2022, 10:08 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
The moon-lander flippy screen works well on a tripod
The flippy screen also works well *as* a tripod, in certain situations
11-30-2022, 06:53 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Both are excellent for landscape, I think it comes down to your preferred focal lengths / lens choice and desired filter systems.

I should be noted that there is a firmware update for the K-1 / K-1ii that will enable internal graduated filters for a one off purchase of a key, this purchase option has not been rolled out world wide just yet.
sorry could you explain more about the internal graduated filters?

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The largest advantage of the Pentax would be Pixel Shift. Is that useful to you, and would that fit in with your workflow?

The Pentax may also be more usable in harsh weather, and astro work.

OTOH, the Nikon has a far greater lens selection, which IMO should be the primary determiner of which system you prefer. Does Pentax offer the lenses you find necessary?
I will investigate this topic. It is hard to find a comparison between the two lens from two brand. I normally go to DXO to see which lens is rated higher but recent lens, they are mostly Sony and for mirrorless.
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I have both the D850 and the K-1 ii. They are different. I also have the D800e, D3s, D4, Z 9, and several other Nikon bodies. The D850 is my main studio camera and doesn't go outside. I only bought it because it has focus bracketing and the other DSLRs don't. I like the D850, but if I could only own one it would be the K-1 ii. This camera gets way more use and is more enjoyable to shoot with.

The K-1 ii has Pixel Shift, better colors, better lenses, a tilt shift sensor, in-body shake reduction, Astrotracer, a better phone app, and many others. The D850 is a very competent camera, it locks focus much faster, but it's not a Pentax.
Thank you for sharing. I just notice it is not a big different between mk1 and mk2 of the k1, I can save quite a large amount by getting k1 mk1. Would you see a big different between the two? About the pixel shift, I believe we can do it in pts? And I think mk1 also has pixel shift?

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Nikon lenses aren’t typically poor quality, in truth there may be specific lenses Pentax has or Nikon has that one person prefers over the other. Which lenses do you have for each that are similar where (for you) the Pentax is superior?

---------- Post added 11-28-22 at 10:11 AM ----------

Landscape is an area where the k-1ii shines by all accounts. However that d850 is no slouch. The k-1ii has a few advantages, as does the Nikon. The truth is I’d be hard pressed to recommend either one over the other. The Nikon has a higher megapixel count, and much faster focusing… but not so much of a difference in megapixels as to be noticed in images - unless you crop heavily. The faster focusing isn’t typically needed in landscape photography.

I’m unclear why none of your lenses would be shared. Landscapes can include telephoto shots also. Is there really no need for the lenses used on the current d500 to be used on your landscape camera? Would you ever need a backup body while shooting? Sure the d850 in crop mode isn’t a d500, but it’s potentially the difference between getting a shot and going home with nothing. Conversely, The d500 might not offer the same wide coverage but a landscape wide shot can be made - even if you have to use multiple images and merge them later. The same can be said for a k-1ii and a k3iii. I honestly think going for an option where you’d carry the two brands together isn’t optimal. If it’s more about taking one or the other on a specific trip then it really doesn’t matter as much.
I have only a few cheap lens from Pentax
The kit lens 18-135 with K70
28 2.8 50 1.7 old lens
35 F2 newer AF lens
100mm macro Pentax
Sigma APO DG OS HSM 150-500mm F5-6.3
They are cheap enough for me now that I can sale them easy to change the system if needed.
And Nikon
D500 + kit lens 17-55 f2.8 (is it a kit lens?)
Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2
35mm G 1.8

And few old Mamiya 645 lens, I have adapter to pentax for landscape or macro shoots.

---------- Post added 11-30-2022 at 07:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PCFiend138 Quote
If the K-1II would be mainly for landscapes and relatively stationary subjects, already having a D500, I would absolutely say get the Pentax and save the money. The K-1II with a 15-30 and 70-200 is an amazing landscape combo. Outside of personal photography, if there is an image I'm proud of, it was most likely captured with a K-1II and the 15-30 or 70-200. My instagram is @s.halburian if you want to see what I've done with my K-1II.
the k1 ii in Vietnam (where I am living now) actually cost the same as the D850. The pentax lens is hard to find but would not be a big issue.

Last edited by 4Vn_Shotter; 11-30-2022 at 07:08 AM.
11-30-2022, 07:11 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Some correct me if I'm wrong but no in body stabilization for your older lenses on the D850. That was the biggy for me.

For the most part the images are very close, with an ordering, bottom to top K-1 close to D850 res but not quite, but indistinguishable on most images.. D850, noticeable moire on some test images, K-1 with pixel shift, top of the heap. That based on images viewed at imaging Resources. The attractive D850 qualities, faster frame rate, better AF-c and tracking. K-1, better AF-s and single point focus.
11-30-2022, 07:12 AM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I faced the same issue. The difference being that I had a K1 already and a good selection of FF lenses to go with it. IMHO, high-end landscape work needs mega resolution as in medium format type resolution. I briefly considered 645Z and Fuji GFX bodies and lenses. However, those options would have been costly in total system (body and lenses). Going from K1 to Nikon D850 would have been an incremental move. The difference needed to be more drastic for me to make the jump.

Your K70 or the D500 will do landscapes all day. I did quite a bit of it with my K3 until I got my K1. The reason for K1 was commercial work for certain clients requiring higher resolution output. Otherwise the K3 was just fine. My question is how big do you want your prints to be. I used to own an Epson 44" printer and have printed plenty of 40"x60" prints with K1 files. They look fantastic and the colors are sublime. Nikon D850 will give you similar quality. If you want to go larger with prints, then you need to look at something beyond K1 or the Nikon 850. Otherwise, save your money by using the D500 or the K70 and buy lenses you need and do not have.

Now, if you insist on getting an FF camera, I would look at the K1 first. The feature that would stir me towards the K1 for landscape work, would be the fully articulating screen vs. the flippy screen of the D850. I used the K1 flexible screen all the time for both horizontal and vertical shots. The difference is real and goes to the ergonomics of the body. Try a low angle vertical shot as in a foot off the ground low and you will know what I am talking about.

Good luck with whatever camera you choose. Remember you already have two fantastic cameras.
thank you. at the moment, I don't really print very big often. it is the feeling to have to incase I need to print big and also my curiosity. Long ago, I used to have an old canon ff (5dII ) I have to say at that time, I see better quality pictures compared to my APSC camera. I am not sure about modern times now
11-30-2022, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

I don't really print very big often. it is the feeling to have to incase I need to print big
I have a print on my wall printed at 42x32 taken with the K-3. People have expressed interest in buying it, but so far don't like the price. ( I wouldn't print and sell an image that size for under $3k.)

So I always wonder , print big? How big are you thinking? If you aren't thinking 60 inches or more, printing big isn't a factor. I've seen one very low res big print, and from a distance (normal viewing distance) , it looked fine. I always used to hear people say they like to walk right up to a print and see 4x6 detail. Those people need a 100 MP camera, that's a whole different class of camera. Neither D850 nor K-1 fill that bill. That last 6 MP is worth almost nothing practically. AN extra 16% resolution when photography usually works in doubles and halves. Based on a K-1, that means you'd need 72 MP or more, to see much difference in the prints.

Base your decision on FPS and AF needs. the K-1 is designed to be a field camera, slower FPS and smaller buffer for bursts. If you want to shoot action it needs to be coupled with the K-3iii. The D850 might be the best all-purpose camera on the market. But if you don't need FPS or tracking AF, it's definitely not the best price performance option. The thing with being the best everything camera is, not everyone needs everything. I've shot wildlife and birds for years just fine without ever needing what the D850 has to offer. It's nice to have, not have to have.

On price you win with the K-1. But if you end up buying the K-3iii for action it's cost you money. Of course if you do want to do a lot of action shooting, maybe the K-3iii is the best choice. As I said, acceptable prints up to say 50" x 30". That's pretty big.

Last edited by normhead; 11-30-2022 at 07:38 AM.