Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2022, 12:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K1 II vs Nikon D850

Dear all

I'm looking for a still camera mostly for landscape.

I currently have D500 + 150-600mm for birds and am happy with it. I also have the 17-55mm 2.8 as it comes from the previous owner but I have no intention to keep it long. I have K70, I got it long ago when it was introduced with a kit lens Pentax-DA 18-135mm. I have a few other Pentax lenses but not a high-end one.

I plan to keep D500 for birds and get a camera for landscape. What do you think about Pentax K1 II vs Nikon D850? it may sound silly to have to cameras from two brands in the bag but I would not have any common lens to share between them.

--
Pure Eye Photography
Hung and Aneliya | Flickr
https://www.instagram.com/pure.eye.photography

11-27-2022, 02:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Pentax K-1 II. It is amazing. I have it on my Pentax 70-200 and the images and all around performance are excellent.
11-27-2022, 02:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both are excellent for landscape, I think it comes down to your preferred focal lengths / lens choice and desired filter systems.

I should be noted that there is a firmware update for the K-1 / K-1ii that will enable internal graduated filters for a one off purchase of a key, this purchase option has not been rolled out world wide just yet.
11-27-2022, 02:18 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The largest advantage of the Pentax would be Pixel Shift. Is that useful to you, and would that fit in with your workflow?

The Pentax may also be more usable in harsh weather, and astro work.

OTOH, the Nikon has a far greater lens selection, which IMO should be the primary determiner of which system you prefer. Does Pentax offer the lenses you find necessary?

Last edited by luftfluss; 11-27-2022 at 02:38 PM.
11-27-2022, 02:20 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-1 II is a very nice landscape camera. If you are willing to lug along a tripod, using pixel shift you can get close to medium format quality.

The D850 is very nice too, although Nikon seems to want its users to convert over to mirrorless. I guess I would focus on what lenses you plan to use and make decisions based on that. The DFA 21 limited or DFA 15-30 combined with a 28-105 would cover most of your needs with the K-1 II. I am not familiar with Nikon's system and so I can't really tell you what lenses would work from that standpoint.
11-27-2022, 02:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speaking of medium format, MPB has used Fujifilm GFX 50-series cameras starting at just over $2k USD... so I imagine other used dealers have similar prices.
11-27-2022, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That 17-55 f/2.8 lens is APS-C and although fine with the D500, won’t cover the D850’s full frame sensor. Equally, that 18-135 DA lens is also APS-C and won’t cover the K-1’s full frame sensor. So whether you go for the D850 or a K-1, you’ll have to get lenses to suit.

11-27-2022, 10:13 PM - 14 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I have both the D850 and the K-1 ii. They are different. I also have the D800e, D3s, D4, Z 9, and several other Nikon bodies. The D850 is my main studio camera and doesn't go outside. I only bought it because it has focus bracketing and the other DSLRs don't. I like the D850, but if I could only own one it would be the K-1 ii. This camera gets way more use and is more enjoyable to shoot with.

The K-1 ii has Pixel Shift, better colors, better lenses, a tilt shift sensor, in-body shake reduction, Astrotracer, a better phone app, and many others. The D850 is a very competent camera, it locks focus much faster, but it's not a Pentax.
11-28-2022, 02:09 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mind you can use the lenses for the K-1 on the K-500 also. Think of the FA limiteds for example.

What I do not get is why you want to buy a K-1 for landscape, while you own a K-70. I own both and I would say the image quality of the K-1 is not so much better to be crucial for landscape.

If you use the 18-135 up to 50 mm and stop it down by one f-stop you allready have a very nice lens for landscape photography as well.
11-28-2022, 02:29 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since the K-1 / K-1ii have built in GPS, you can also log your trek on a new location to see how far you got. You save the file when you stop logging and later view it on Google Earth.

I use this all the time. When you add them up the K-1s have a lot of pro's.
11-28-2022, 07:02 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll just copy what I posted to DPReview recently regarding K1 landscape niceties.
  • Built in GPS
  • The moon-lander flippy screen works well on a tripod
  • Body-illuminating LEDs and red LCD mode for night work
  • Composition adjust and horizon correction using the IBIS (less useful with better tripod heads)
  • Built in level
  • AA filter simulator (using the IBIS again, can bracket with it on/off)
  • Astro-tracer if you want to dabble in astrophotography
  • Pixel-shift when you have a scene with low enough motion
  • Good weather sealing
11-28-2022, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I have both the D850 and the K-1 ii. They are different. I also have the D800e, D3s, D4, Z 9, and several other Nikon bodies. The D850 is my main studio camera and doesn't go outside. I only bought it because it has focus bracketing and the other DSLRs don't. I like the D850, but if I could only own one it would be the K-1 ii. This camera gets way more use and is more enjoyable to shoot with.

The K-1 ii has Pixel Shift, better colors, better lenses, a tilt shift sensor, in-body shake reduction, Astrotracer, a better phone app, and many others. The D850 is a very competent camera, it locks focus much faster, but it's not a Pentax.
Nikon lenses aren’t typically poor quality, in truth there may be specific lenses Pentax has or Nikon has that one person prefers over the other. Which lenses do you have for each that are similar where (for you) the Pentax is superior?

---------- Post added 11-28-22 at 10:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 4Vn_Shotter Quote
Dear all

I'm looking for a still camera mostly for landscape.

I currently have D500 + 150-600mm for birds and am happy with it. I also have the 17-55mm 2.8 as it comes from the previous owner but I have no intention to keep it long. I have K70, I got it long ago when it was introduced with a kit lens Pentax-DA 18-135mm. I have a few other Pentax lenses but not a high-end one.

I plan to keep D500 for birds and get a camera for landscape. What do you think about Pentax K1 II vs Nikon D850? it may sound silly to have to cameras from two brands in the bag but I would not have any common lens to share between them.

--
Pure Eye Photography
Hung and Aneliya | Flickr
https://www.instagram.com/pure.eye.photography
Landscape is an area where the k-1ii shines by all accounts. However that d850 is no slouch. The k-1ii has a few advantages, as does the Nikon. The truth is I’d be hard pressed to recommend either one over the other. The Nikon has a higher megapixel count, and much faster focusing… but not so much of a difference in megapixels as to be noticed in images - unless you crop heavily. The faster focusing isn’t typically needed in landscape photography.

I’m unclear why none of your lenses would be shared. Landscapes can include telephoto shots also. Is there really no need for the lenses used on the current d500 to be used on your landscape camera? Would you ever need a backup body while shooting? Sure the d850 in crop mode isn’t a d500, but it’s potentially the difference between getting a shot and going home with nothing. Conversely, The d500 might not offer the same wide coverage but a landscape wide shot can be made - even if you have to use multiple images and merge them later. The same can be said for a k-1ii and a k3iii. I honestly think going for an option where you’d carry the two brands together isn’t optimal. If it’s more about taking one or the other on a specific trip then it really doesn’t matter as much.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 11-28-2022 at 08:14 AM.
11-28-2022, 09:35 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to buy FF glass like f1.4/28, f1.4/105 or f4/180-400 glass, you need the Nikon.
11-28-2022, 10:40 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
If you want to buy FF glass like f1.4/28, f1.4/105 or f4/180-400 glass, you need the Nikon.
If you want a lens like the DA 55-300 PLM you have to buy Pentax. If you want best in class lenses, like the DFA* 50mm or 85mm 1.4, and probably even the "21 2.4."you have to buy Pentax. every brand has lenses, no brand has the best of everything. The DA* 300 ƒ4 would seem to meet the criteria listed above, unless you are referring to a specific 180-400mm lens.

The next eyestrain becomes how much longer with Nikon be producing quality glass for the D850? It's a great camera, some one my aquaintences just love it. But based on anecdotal personal experience, they don't have the build quality of Pentaxes. They have failed right in front of my eyes. My only Nikon purchase barely made it to 2 years.
11-28-2022, 11:12 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Both are excellent for landscape, I think it comes down to your preferred focal lengths / lens choice and desired filter systems.

I should be noted that there is a firmware update for the K-1 / K-1ii that will enable internal graduated filters for a one off purchase of a key, this purchase option has not been rolled out world wide just yet.
That said, many PP programs offer graduated filters as well. Later--don't know how many versions back it goes--Silkypix Pro certainly does as I've used it from time to time.