Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2023, 05:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-1 ii is surprisingly small for a DSLR

Something I’ve noticed while handling my old 5Dii is how large it felt while handling it.
I then compared it to my k-1 ii and noticed that the k-1 ii is slimmer width-wise
The more compact build makes the handling feel better.

What’s your take on the grip/handling?

But then I noticed the size difference of the 5Dii’s top lcd display compared to the K-1ii.
I’d love to have a larger top display. The tiny one on the pentax feels unnecessary because of its size.

What’s your opinion on the mini display? Should it be bigger and sacrifice something, remove it for something else or keep things as they are?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12  Photo 
04-10-2023, 05:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Coming from the K5 to the K-1ii, I've found the top display small. But, it's OK, especially considering how much information can be found by looking through the viewfinder.
04-10-2023, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I rarely look at the top display. Kind of forgot it was there lol.
04-10-2023, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-1 is quite compact for what it offers. I think that is one reason why it gets the undeserved comment in most reviews as being "heavy" when it really is not. Compared to many full frame DSLRs with their typical zoom lenses attached, the K-1-II in use is actually lighter and more compact. But it has more weight per unit volume than many other cameras, so gives the perception of being "heavy" and "built like a tank." Well, on that last point, it probably is. On the LCD screen, I don't often look at it, but when I do it has the information I need and is big enough. With the hyper capability of the two control wheels and the information in the viewfinder, I don't really need to check the LCD screen in most instances.

---------- Post added 04-10-23 at 08:10 PM ----------

Oh, forgot to add, I think the grip and handling on the K-1-II is excellent. Even better with the optional battery grip installed, though then the size and weight does put it over the point that I'd want to walk around with it all day, at least for me. But if you are doing some intensive portrait shooting in a limited area like a home or studio, the battery grip may be just the thing.

04-10-2023, 10:28 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
The K-1 is quite compact for what it offers. I think that is one reason why it gets the undeserved comment in most reviews as being "heavy" when it really is not. Compared to many full frame DSLRs with their typical zoom lenses attached, the K-1-II in use is actually lighter and more compact. But it has more weight per unit volume than many other cameras, so gives the perception of being "heavy" and "built like a tank." Well, on that last point, it probably is. On the LCD screen, I don't often look at it, but when I do it has the information I need and is big enough. With the hyper capability of the two control wheels and the information in the viewfinder, I don't really need to check the LCD screen in most instances.

---------- Post added 04-10-23 at 08:10 PM ----------

Oh, forgot to add, I think the grip and handling on the K-1-II is excellent. Even better with the optional battery grip installed, though then the size and weight does put it over the point that I'd want to walk around with it all day, at least for me. But if you are doing some intensive portrait shooting in a limited area like a home or studio, the battery grip may be just the thing.
Canon 5D iv is 130g lighter than K1ii. The 70-200 from Canon is lighter than the Pentax. K1ii is not overly heavy, but also not lighter than its competition.
04-11-2023, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-1 is kind of big and heavy, when compared to previous Pentax DSLRs. It seemed quite heavy when I first got it, I have gotten used to it, but I still wouldn't mind a smaller/lighter FF Pentax.
04-11-2023, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

The K-1's are always described as big and heavy, build like a tank and then I had a chance to hold one at a photoshop and was surprised that including the DFA 28-105 was not as heavy as I expected. I was used to the Samsung GX10 and K-3 Mark II, which I found always quite heavy. Still I have not bought one, although I am hesitating at the moment now the price has gone down € 300,00. Because I also have the superb KP and do not want that one to go into retirement yet...

04-11-2023, 02:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The top LCD shows most needed information - battery status, card slots, exposure time, fstop, iso and if theres an exposure compensation set. The exact value for the latter is only shown when you activate it for input. The only thing that I‘d like to see also directly.

When I walk around with K-5 or K-1 I often set basic values without looking through the viewfinder or activating live view info panel. And when doing interval shots it‘s also helpful, when I don‘t want to activate liveview and liveview feedback after shots.

So I still miss this feature a little bit on my KP - especially because the second weakness of the KP is the small battery and battery consumption of the liveview monitor is relative high.
04-11-2023, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
The K-1 is quite compact for what it offers. I think that is one reason why it gets the undeserved comment in most reviews as being "heavy" when it really is not. Compared to many full frame DSLRs with their typical zoom lenses attached, the K-1-II in use is actually lighter and more compact.
Nnno. The K-1 is the second-heaviest FF DSLR body, a touch behind the D850. It's *noticeably* heavier than the 5D and 6D for sure. It just doesn't feel as heavy as it is due to its much better grip.

With lenses, it feels lighter because the center of mass is closer to the body - though the total weight might well be higher than in most other cases.
04-11-2023, 07:31 AM - 4 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with several of the above comments. I'll add that I find Canon cameras kinda cheesy, feel-wise. The "big and heavy" thing started at DPR IIRC, totally unfair IMO since the Nikon was equally chunky---it was in the review. This is when I had a post deleted because I used the term "sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander" to point out inequities between reviews. Still burns me.

I agree especially with the comment above about center of gravity. After all, we use these cameras with lenses, so it seems to me one must take that into account. As much as I loved my A7R, with lenses on it it always felt unbalanced. And I also think there's a finite limit to how small a sophisticated, full featured camera can be before the small size impedes easy use of the controls. I think Pentax got the size of the K1 just right---any smaller and it would feel cramped to me.

It's just solid.
04-11-2023, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I think Pentax got the size of the K1 just right---any smaller and it would feel cramped to me.

It's just solid.
Yep yep. It's a fair bit smaller than most other comparable cameras, but it still lets you access all its buttons easily (and it's not like it has any lack of physical controls).
04-11-2023, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #12
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I found the top screen useless and I rather have it removed from next model than sacrifice any adjustments on top to make it larger. Same information is shown on rear screen with much better visibility so I don't need to put on glasses to read it.

Size of the camera and the grip are perfect for me. In comparison K3 style bodies are too small for my big hands. Also the hevier body is good counterweight for big modern lenses. DFA85 is much better balanced on K1ii than on K3.
04-11-2023, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing I'vre realised aboiut reviews is that seeming opposites can both be true - for example, if robustness is important you realise that it comes with extra weight which you don't mind. If robustness is not important to you, the extra weight might be a negative. So a camera can have 'built like a tank' in the pros and 'heavy' in the cons without there being a contradiction - just things that different users might regatrd as important.
04-11-2023, 08:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The K1 is small FF, even when considering modern FF mirrorless. If you take the pentaprism out the K1 is not much bigger than Sony bodies. I wish they could do a K1 mirrorless version, it'd sell like hot cakes. (I don't have my K1 anymore but here's my K10d next to Gen 4 Sony FF)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Galaxy S23 Ultra  Photo 

Last edited by Stavri; 04-11-2023 at 09:34 AM.
04-11-2023, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love the solid feel and handling of the K-1, it feels very purposeful when I'm shooting with it. Regardless of what performance improvements they put into a newer version (if we get one), I would be very satisfied if they left the body just as it is, other than maybe adding a joystick.