Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2023, 05:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"to keep or not to keep?; this is the question", re: SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5

Some may find my dilemma silly but please understand my "pentaxian LBA logic"

I have a great copy of SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 which is a beautiful, small and sharp lens but I also have the legendary FA* 28-70/2.8 , the sexy FA J 28-80/3.5-5.6 and the underrated but super sharp and fast Sigma 28-105/2.8-4.

My collection, some may already seen, is BIG and this lens was first bought as a secondary lens for whenever I would be using the Tamron 70-200/2.8 in events instead of wide primes.

I would find GREAT help to people that LOVE SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 and have found more uses of it in K1 ie FF since the 20-40 Ltd, that I have, is a shorter mm but better walk around lens in APS-C ie my KPs.

Bought it for 75 euros MINT, I also purchased hood and vintage case for it cause I love to pamper my gear but I am now in the process of selling it for 75 euros.
I have some 40 lenses plus the HD TC.

My heart says keep it, my logic says sell it.

What do you say? Thanks in advance

And sorry if anyone finds all the above silly.

Attached Images

Last edited by Athanassios; 04-25-2023 at 05:28 AM. Reason: syntax errors
04-25-2023, 05:37 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What is this "not to keep" you speak of? *shifts on dragon hoard of lenses to become more comfortable*
04-25-2023, 05:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What is this "not to keep" you speak of? *shifts on dragon hoard of lenses to become more comfortable*
TBH I did not understand your comment. My dilemma is whether I should keep this lens or not considering all that I wrote. Sorry if I am slow in grasping your point with "dragon hoard". I'm not american so some expressions do slip my mind.
04-25-2023, 06:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If I were you I would not sell it. It is small, so it always fits in a pocket and it is one of the first AF lenses of Pentax. I wish I had one, but I do not. Instead I bought myself an A 35-70 f4... The F series was always noisy, but great gave great IQ and still do on DSLR. It is a KEEPER!

PS.: I think that Borisloceto means that you have an immense collection of lenses (dragon hoard) and that getting rid of the smallest one does not make room, but might give you the idea of feeling better after you sold this one.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 04-25-2023 at 06:34 AM. Reason: PS
04-25-2023, 08:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
If I were you I would not sell it. It is small, so it always fits in a pocket and it is one of the first AF lenses of Pentax. I wish I had one, but I do not. Instead I bought myself an A 35-70 f4... The F series was always noisy, but great gave great IQ and still do on DSLR. It is a KEEPER!

PS.: I think that Borisloceto means that you have an immense collection of lenses (dragon hoard) and that getting rid of the smallest one does not make room, but might give you the idea of feeling better after you sold this one.
Thanks for both the advice and the draconian clarification. I guess I will keep it ��
04-25-2023, 09:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Athanassios Quote
Thanks for both the advice and the draconian clarification.
Tolkien's Smaug in The Hobbit would be a superb reference.

If you don't feel compelled to use the lens, there would simply be more space for a different one if you sold it.
04-25-2023, 09:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I say keep it. It's small, doesn't take up much space, very good IQ and has a very useful macro function.

Last edited by paulh; 04-25-2023 at 09:46 AM.
04-25-2023, 09:25 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An unused piece of equipment only collects dust and takes up space. If I haven’t used a lens in the past 6 months and I can’t think of a specific situation where only that lens will do, I would consider selling it.
04-25-2023, 10:29 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Some of my lenses see only occasional use, but I keep them all. I would feel guilty if they went to someone who was not as protective as I - same with books and vinyl. Not a hoarder as such (purchases are always the result of long and deep thought), but I like to feel accompanied in my declining years by items that provide me with interest and pleasure.
04-25-2023, 11:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm with robgski on this. I like a clean and tidy kit, and I prefer any lens to be used by someone enthusiastic enough to buy it from me, rather than sit unused in my drawer
See this as offering unplanned baby dogs and cats to a loving home for good care!
04-25-2023, 12:08 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks all for your suggestions. I think I’ll keep it. It’s a sweet little lens and it can find good use as Inwas planning to; even less than expected
04-25-2023, 12:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have a lot of overlapping lenses as far as focal length, I would just keep the sharpest one..
04-25-2023, 04:49 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I appreciate that some folks will wax rhapsodic over a camera or a lens. And while I may appreciate it, I surely do not understand it.

Cameras and lenses are simply tools. Keep the tools you need to do the job you want to do, and dispense with the others. They can be put to good use by others who will use them.
04-25-2023, 05:33 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I appreciate that some folks will wax rhapsodic over a camera or a lens. And while I may appreciate it, I surely do not understand it.

Cameras and lenses are simply tools. Keep the tools you need to do the job you want to do, and dispense with the others. They can be put to good use by others who will use them.
Lenses and cameras, apart from mere tools, inspire you to shoot by their looks and characteristics and …. character. That’s why I bought the FA J 28-80 with hood or the Sigma 18-35 or the A* 300 etc etc. That is why I searched the whole planet to find a K1ii Silver Limited or bought the “biscuit” ie 40 XS or the original Bigma. The look of the combo inspires me. Hope you understand now.
04-25-2023, 06:10 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Athanassios Quote
Lenses and cameras, apart from mere tools, inspire you to shoot by their looks and characteristics and …. character. That’s why I bought the FA J 28-80 with hood or the Sigma 18-35 or the A* 300 etc etc. That is why I searched the whole planet to find a K1ii Silver Limited or bought the “biscuit” ie 40 XS or the original Bigma. The look of the combo inspires me. Hope you understand now.
If I understand your comment, your camera and lenses are your inspiration for your photography. If so, then I know why we have a totally different outlook about the equipment. That is, for me, I want to create a certain image (generally inspired by something I have seen) and then decide which tools I need for the job.

You feel that the means justify the ends, while I feel that the ends justify the means.
Closed Thread