Pentaxian

Is there K-1III ?
05-13-2023, 09:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by borisII Quote
Is there K-1III ?
Maybe on some bar napkins at Ricoh... There's probably some early prototypes or some such things but I don't think anyone has anything actually pointing to a K-1 III at this point.
05-13-2023, 12:15 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

I sincerely suspect that a K-1 III is not too far off.
Especially with the new Vietnam factory apparently now open for manufacturing.
I think Ricoh recognizes there is a very strong demand.
They had to do some shake ups, reallocating, consolidating, and relocated a manufacture shop.
I've got some hope that the turn out might pick up from here on out.

Last edited by FozzFoster; 05-13-2023 at 05:33 PM.
05-13-2023, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just another load of speculation...

To be completely clear, this isn't a video about the upcoming K-1iii, it's a conversation between three people about what they'd like Ricoh to make a successor to the current K-1 to be like. The OP doesn't have any inside info about Pentax/Ricoh's actual intentions, actual plans or actual ideas.

I know, bummer; but that's just too bad.
05-13-2023, 01:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In the video, nightaxians are discussing features they'd like to have in a K1 iii.
05-13-2023, 01:35 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Maybe on some bar napkins at Ricoh... There's probably some early prototypes or some such things but I don't think anyone has anything actually pointing to a K-1 III at this point.
A bit further than bar napkins, then. Even at Sony development takes quite a while.

05-13-2023, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we can guess what features it will have.

45 megapixels (give or take 15)
8 fps frame rate
Buffer of 28 frames
Two pixel shift modes -- one as present for color improvement and one for super resolution
Dual card slots -- both UHS II
Improved tracking auto focus -- similar to K-3 III with eye auto focus through the viewfinder.
Interface and buttons similar to K-3 III

I wonder if they will move to a new battery -- it seems possible -- they've kept the same battery on their top end cameras for a very long time. Price will be around 3000. K-1 II will stick around as entry level full frame for a while.
05-13-2023, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe on some bar napkins at Ricoh
I sincerely doubt napkins have ever been involved in any design document on the past 40 years.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I wonder if they will move to a new battery -- it seems possible -- they've kept the same battery on their top end cameras for a very long time.
I predict Pentax may very well keep the current battery, as the battery has a profound impact upon the design and form factor of the camera. I would like to think that the optional battery grip will have an optional high capacity battery*, the grip should ideally have mirrored controls along with enabling a higher frame rate - I think 8 FPS is a little optimistic: 4 FPS without the grip, 6 FPS with it.

* giving the camera extended battery life that current mirrorless cameras sorely lack. USB-C charging and power over USB somewhat mitigates this weakness, though it is tedious to carry a cable and powerbank just for a camera when a seamless weather resistant built in option could be had.
05-14-2023, 01:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

8 fps frame rate
Buffer of 28 frames
Two pixel shift modes -- one as present for color improvement and one for super resolution
Improved tracking auto focus -- similar to K-3 III with eye auto focus through the viewfinder.

I wonder if they will move to a new battery -- it seems possible -- they've kept the same battery on their top end cameras for a very long time. Price will be around 3000. K-1 II will stick around as entry level full frame for a while.
Well yes, we can expect a D850 in Pentax wrapping Pentax features. 3k sounds reasonable, probably 3.5k. The K1 may stick around as long as it sells. 36MP are great, it just feels slow compared to K3iii. An entry level FF would canibalise K3 sales, but here we are talking about the step after the first step.
Battery should be compatible to K3iii. Work is needed on live view features and compatibility to optical lens stabilization - need to prepare camera and lenses for this to work together.
Incremental updates for the camera and an outlook to more glass to offer OIS and speed as well.
05-14-2023, 01:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I sincerely doubt napkins have ever been involved in any design document on the past 40 years.
In my field (published) napkin sketches are somewhat cliché and a bit of a joke. Doesn''t prevent them from being made. Ideas do come at lunch as well as at the desk. Perhaps even more frequently at lunch and any designer will know that pen an paper still is a great way of working things out.
05-14-2023, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
To be completely clear, this isn't a video about the upcoming K-1iii, it's a conversation between three people about what they'd like Ricoh to make a successor to the current K-1 to be like. The OP doesn't have any inside info about Pentax/Ricoh's actual intentions, actual plans or actual ideas.

I know, bummer; but that's just too bad.
Nahhhh.

Really?

I'd a sworn that that was the official announcement video from Ricoh.

Are you sure?

Guess I better watch it again.

I'd a bet good money that that was FOR SURE the official announcement.

But if you're sure.....
05-14-2023, 02:48 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
In my field (published) napkin sketches are somewhat cliché and a bit of a joke. Doesn''t prevent them from being made. Ideas do come at lunch as well as at the desk. Perhaps even more frequently at lunch and any designer will know that pen an paper still is a great way of working things out.
White boards at the coffee machine should be credited a lot of innovations.

---------- Post added 14-05-23 at 11:52 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Well yes, we can expect a D850 in Pentax wrapping Pentax features. 3k sounds reasonable, probably 3.5k. The K1 may stick around as long as it sells. 36MP are great, it just feels slow compared to K3iii.
The K1 could stay as it is, upgraded with electronics. But if Pentax wants to include a joystick , and the SAFOX 13 +AE sensor found in the K3III, the K1 body will/would also have to be redesigned, basically a new camera. If the price is over 3K, a lot of pentaxians will complain that the price is too high... but looking at flagship FF MILC prices, $3K is at the low-end.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-14-2023 at 02:53 AM.
05-14-2023, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe on some bar napkins at Ricoh
Maybe this is an Americanism? . . . an idiom for a hand-drawn sketch on paper of rough ideas. If not, I'll eat my hat.
05-14-2023, 05:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

8 fps frame rate
Buffer of 28 frames

You don't think they'll follow through with the same pentaprism material as the K-3iii?