Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
rlatjsrud

K-3 usb 3.0

Well actually, K-3's USB 3.0 is the first camera that has USB 3.0 interface. BTW what if we use HDD or SSD which has USB 3.0 for save our photos rather than SD cards? Might be possible?

If it does, I'm gonna buy SSD 128gb for extremely high speed to save photos.

Attached Images

10-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Well actually, K-3's USB 3.0 is the first camera that has USB 3.0 interface. BTW what if we use HDD or SSD which has USB 3.0 for save our photos rather than SD cards? Might be possible?

I don't know if I'd walk around with a ssd hanging from the side of the camera, but if it let you take images on sd cards and than go in the menu and choose transfer via usb3 I think that would be pretty sweet option while on trips. either way I'm glad it has the dual sd card slots.
10-07-2013, 04:14 AM   #3

I'm gonna buy SSD 128gb for extremely high speed to save photos.
i don't think that will change anything since the processing speed of the camera will still be the same
10-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

No, it wont, it's a USB client not the host.

10-07-2013, 04:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3's USB 3.0 is the first camera that has USB 3.0 interface
First from pentax, yes.
nikon D800 has usb3, and transfer rate is 45-50M Bytes/sec, 7-8 times faster than usb2.
10-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
No, it wont, it's a USB client not the host.
I guess we don't know that yet. Many tablets and phones (and this includes both of my Android based devices) support USB OTG (on the go) connections. It gives the device limited host capabilities as well as usual client capabilities. I don't want to raise hopes, but I could see Pentax adding this code to their new camera.

For example, with its USB OTG capability, my Nexus 7 tablet can read/write to most FAT formatted storage devices (however, hard drives or SSD drives would have to supply their own operating power). I can also read from NTFS formatted storage, and the app publisher is working on NTFS write capability.

I could easily see Ricoh selling a new accessory for the K-3 if they did include USB OTG. It would be an external case and rechargeable battery that held either a 2.5 inch hard drive or SSD with a USB 3.0 port and bundled with the necessary USB OTG dongle to connect to the camera. You could transfer images from the camera to the drive while out and about, and simply plug the drive into your PC when you returned home.

I already sort of have that same setup. I have a self-powered 2.5 inch harddrive with an SD slot and a preview screen, and a USB 2.0 (client only) connection. I have to remove the SD card from my camera to do the transfer, but I don't have to travel with a computer or big bag of SD cards if I don't want to. I plug the drive into my PC when I get home.
10-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I guess we don't know that yet.
I second your opinion.

If Pentax supports devices directly attached to the camera - Like monitor or iPad to review photos as soon as they are shot. It will be great. I have my doubts on the NTFS support. Google has extensive experience with File systems - It has extensive research on the subject. On the other hand Pentax - Has minimal research in that area.

Jim, I would really be interested to look at the picture of your setup. If possible. I would like to attain something similar. I am currently using a 32 class 10 SDHC. But it is nice to have an external drive connected to the camera.

Cheers!

10-07-2013, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Jim, I would really be interested to look at the picture of your setup. If possible.
Looking at a picture is easy- Click Here to download a .pdf of the manual.

Duplicating my setup will be much harder. The HyperDrive is no longer being manufactured, and I have yet to find its duplicate. I had to settle for a used copy of the Album version which requires me to move the SD card between camera and drive. If I could have got my hands on the Album OTG version, I could have plugged my K-30 directly into the drive.

Turning this around, if the K-3 has USB OTG capability, you could get by with just a self-powered USB drive - although the drive might have to be formatted as a FAT32 device.
10-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

OTG or not is not very important. That is important is contact Ricoh and establish real USB port speed tests using bulk transfer of big chunks (without using any SD cards and such). To understand real limitation of processor and interface used.

ORG will be good to have in future firmware, but for now someone need to flush management and describe to them clear target. I mean here - providing full use for hardware they have.
10-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FYI, the USB 3.0 is the HI-SPEED variant. AKA, it's exactly the same speed as USB 2.0 except that you see a USB 3.0 connector on the body :-P

The D800 has USB 3.0 SUPER-SPEED which is the variant that is really more like PCI-E speeds...

It's an important distinction that most people will miss...
10-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
FYI, the USB 3.0 is the HI-SPEED variant. AKA, it's exactly the same speed as USB 2.0 except that you see a USB 3.0 connector on the body :-P

The D800 has USB 3.0 SUPER-SPEED which is the variant that is really more like PCI-E speeds...

It's an important distinction that most people will miss...
Do you have any proof for this? I mean real life proof, I could hardly believe that someone puts only a USB3 connector with USB2 speed in a device...?
10-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Do you have any proof for this? I mean real life proof, I could hardly believe that someone puts only a USB3 connector with USB2 speed in a device...?
Seems massively lame to me as well.

All the specs say USB 3.0 "Hi-Speed" so far.
I'd be more than happy if I'm wrong...I've been poking all over the place (commenting on reviews, asking JCPentax, etc.) w/o any luck on confirmation.

But think about why they would even have to add USB 3.0 Superspeed...on the D800, it's useful for real wired tethering. No tethering on the K-3, so no need for full speed USB 3.0, right?

Someone probably just figured "hey, let's get the marketing buzzword in there...consumers are too stupid to figure out that Hi-Speed actually means USB 2.0 speeds and they'll never notice any speed difference anyways since we can't do tethering".

We'll find out for sure when someone sticks a fast SD card in there and gets some speed readings on the download of it. But again, who does this? Everyone uses a card reader.

But maybe I'm just too cynical.....
10-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No tethering on the K-3
Actually from what I have read here in the Forum, the K-3 will support tethering .... at least via the Pentax accessory 'Wi-Fi on SD' chip. There will supposedly also be apps for phones/tablets. I didn't think of it until now, but even internal SD card readers on devices are usually a form of USB connection. If also true on the K-3, is it possible wired tethering would also be supported via the USB port?
10-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Seems massively lame to me as well.

All the specs say USB 3.0 "Hi-Speed" so far.
I'd be more than happy if I'm wrong...I've been poking all over the place (commenting on reviews, asking JCPentax, etc.) w/o any luck on confirmation.
...snip...
But maybe I'm just too cynical.....
I'm sorry, but i still lack any hint that this is the case. The official announcements specification sheet tells:
QuoteOriginally posted by http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-3/spec/:
Connection Port: USB3.0 (micro B)
USB Connection MSC/PTP
There is no single word of USB 3.0 "Hi-Speed". Feel free to point me to it...
But also other reviewers refer to
QuoteOriginally posted by http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k3/pentax-k3DAT.HTM:
Computer/Printer: USB 3.0 Super Speed
However, just a friendly suggestion, maybe jumping to conclusions and presenting them as a fact may in future be better based on more solid evidence.

Cheers
10-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thing here can be misleading translation. As hi speed can be just translation from high speed, meaning that it uses 5Gb/s. As not all tech writers know about weird terms used in USB specs.

And, of course, it makes absolutely zero sense to make USB 3.0 if you have USB 2.0 speed.