Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
AF in video mode is my wild guess here
That would be interesting but I'm afraid that the screw-driven lenses will make too much noise.

10-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
That would be interesting but I'm afraid that the screw-driven lenses will make too much noise.
Off camera mics for those situations.

Maybe focus peaking (if it actually is in it) in video mode?
10-07-2013, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can't fathom how excited I am if this is true.
14bit uncompressed output from the HDMI.

Pinch me, I might be dreaming.
10-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
There's one more interesting video feature that hasn't leaked yet.
You are evil.

10-07-2013, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I can't fathom how excited I am if this is true.
14bit uncompressed output from the HDMI.

Pinch me, I might be dreaming.
And you were about to . . . whatever it was . . . . a few weeks ago.

(I'll send some black tape for the LCD).
10-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
not a big problem if you have external mic further away... in k-5 the audio is mono, if it is still mono in k-3 then it is better to use an external mic... but i can't imagine using autofocus for video... i always use manual focus, looks better... wouldn't AF look jumpy?
10-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And you were about to . . . whatever it was . . . . a few weeks ago.

(I'll send some black tape for the LCD).
If Pentax/Ricoh only knew *how close* I was.
Seriously.
I will be giving Pentax/Ricoh the money for three K3 cameras and grips, so they are *definitely* keeping me around.

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy over this new tool.

10-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #23
Forum Member

If Pentax/Ricoh only knew *how close* I was.
Seriously.
I will be giving Pentax/Ricoh the money for three K3 cameras and grips, so they are *definitely* keeping me around.

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy over this new tool.
three? haha, you make me feel like I'm being frugal buying only one... thank you
10-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I guess it would not be exactly RAW video like the CineDNG format, but 14 bits H264, wich is not bad at all.

Support of sample bit depth precision ranging from 8 to 14 bits per sample (depending on the selected profile).
Source :
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
10-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cream Quote
three? haha, you make me feel like I'm being frugal buying only one... thank you
They are tools to me, as I shoot with two bodies.

The third will be my husbands/back-up.

The K3 is everything I have been waiting for as an upgrade to the K5.
10-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #26
Forum Member

They are tools to me, as I shoot with two bodies.

The third will be my husbands/back-up.

The K3 is everything I have been waiting for as an upgrade to the K5.
ah that makes sense i bought my k-5 just recently... i thought the k-5II/s wasn't that big of an improvement over k-5... so i bought a k-5. now that they finally lauch a new model... and it's everything i've been reading about it... I'll be happy to pay whatever it costs! i saw a price here, $1300, another site said $1600... i'll be happy to pay either, it's everything i've dreamed of as well. i'm only beginning my dslr journey, this k-5 is my first dslr, and k-3 will be my second... i did a lot of research... ended up with pentax. saw it as the best choice. now i am so so happy... they launch k-3... it is so much better than k-5... i think it's a camera i could be happy with for a very long time... even if i make this into a profession (when I'm good enough) ^^
10-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
not a big problem if you have external mic further away... in k-5 the audio is mono, if it is still mono in k-3 then it is better to use an external mic... but i can't imagine using autofocus for video... i always use manual focus, looks better... wouldn't AF look jumpy?
Moving the mic off-camera kind of runs counter to the built in headphone jack for monitoring. And for the video I shoot, AF and MF have their own places. With the GH2 for interviews, face detect AF is very useful.
10-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ah that makes sense i bought my k-5 just recently... i thought the k-5II/s wasn't that big of an improvement over k-5... so i bought a k-5. now that they finally lauch a new model... and it's everything i've been reading about it... I'll be happy to pay whatever it costs! i saw a price here, $1300, another site said $1600... i'll be happy to pay either, it's everything i've dreamed of as well. i'm only beginning my dslr journey, this k-5 is my first dslr, and k-3 will be my second... i did a lot of research... ended up with pentax. saw it as the best choice. now i am so so happy... they launch k-3... it is so much better than k-5... i think it's a camera i could be happy with for a very long time... even if i make this into a profession (when I'm good enough) ^^
LOL. You are lucky then, that you came into "Pentax" recently.
You have not had to have your stomach churn with each "Color Engineered" item that Ricoh has been putting out. Or "Toy" aimed at some market segment.

The K5 was/is a brilliant camera, that started with the K7.
The K3 is finally what folks like me have been asking for.

The wonderful Pentax engineers in Japan have survived into the Ricoh era, and THAT is cause for celebration.

Now, my Pentax purchases will continue...K3, DA560 and whatever comes down the pike. As a *serious* Pentaxian, Ricoh was so very close to losing me.
10-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

If this thing really shoots RAW video, that will be nothing short of amazing. And revolutionary. 14-bit RAW plus no Aa filter should bee roughly on part with output from the blackmagic cinema camera.
10-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #30

lets guess ...

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
There's one more interesting video feature that hasn't leaked yet.

dual writing to both SD slots simultaiously either in dual codecs ?? -- or --- record h264 codec and output thru the other slot 4G or wifi for recording and uploads for press photogs in the field ???

also the sensor @ 6016x4000 could do 4k UHD ??? ... may need to check the data rates to see of that is possible ..

hhhhhmmm what other odd ball thories we could throw out there