Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not surprised to see Pentax contract out the WiFi solution to a third party. Although I wanted WiFi I was dubious that there was someone on the Pentax team who was going to crank out some awesome app for iOS and Android, and continually update it, etc. Just based on the team's history software development has not been one of their strengths (whereas they have shown a great aptitude for ergonomic design as a persistent strength for example)

Flucard may just have given Pentax the most appealing bid as a third party provider, and this way the apps already exist.

10-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting that this technology was selected given tha tthey did some team engineering work with Eye-Fi to streamline setup in Q10/Q7, K50 and recent FW updates for many earlier cameras.

I think when it is all reviewed and written about we'll see that, depending upon how the user needs to use wireless technology, one or another card should be purchased, or all of them - for specific needs - and I don't need to purchase any of them, nor do I need to pay $1600 for a $1300 K-3 (and own technology I'll never use).
10-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

From what I have read, the FLU card will only work with iOS and Android devices so it would seem that connecting to a MAC or PC laptop computer is not an option. Am I missing something?
10-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #19
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
From what I have read, the FLU card will only work with iOS and Android devices so it would seem that connecting to a MAC or PC laptop computer is not an option. Am I missing something?
I wouldn't know, but Adam's write-up says:

"Rather than using a cable to connect the camera to a computer, the K-3 can create its own hotspot via a Pentax-developed Wi-Fi SD card that employ FLU technology (a third-party standard). Then, all you need to do is connect to the camera using a PC or compatible smartphone to control it remotely or download photos."

10-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Eh, I'm semi-approving of what I see but pretty much immune to temptation, sorry. I totally covet a K5II but I'm really liking the loaner K-7 that I have now and I'm in no hurry to abandon it. It's older but it's been serving me pretty well. I'm sort of working on terms for buying it. I want it as main cam till Spring, then as backup cam to a K5II so I can retire my K-x and let my niece have it while there is still some life left in it. I've put a "few" clicks on it since I got it and it's probably borderline camera abuse a this point to keep using it for both personal and pro work. :P I'm ready for a K5II but the K-3 is too much camera for me and definitely for my wallet. I'm a still photographer who hardly ever shoots video or iso over 800. What do I need all those bells and whistles for? Ultimately I do need two WR bodies in my kit. If one fails I definitely need a backup till I can get another one and having two bodies is faster in the studio, but I don't really need the K-3. It's just overkill with what I do. It will be fun watching some of you play with it, but nah, not for me.
10-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I would be tempted to try that flu. Not in first row, but yea. But I would need to see someone doing it first. Good to be at here, so it is granted to me to be able to see it.
10-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #22

Well I don't think Pentax was ever good with naming its products.

Just think of the *IST series. It was supposed to be pronounced "starist", but people used to call these cameras "Ist", because de star was so not obvious, they kept missing on its presence. But even with the knowledge of the star's role in the name, what kind of name is that? "Starist", really?

And then there was the K-7. Which in French, sounds almost exactly like "cassette", as in audio tape. Actually, the acronym K7 is commonly used in France to describe VHS, Beta or MiniDV video cassettes and audio cassettes alike.

Things get even worse with the "Q", which sounds exactly like the word "cul" in French, a word French-speaking people use do describe people's rear ends or behinds. Just put the word "cul" in Google translation and see for yourself.

Yeah, I know. K is supposed to mean "King" and Q, "Queen". But maybe the guys at the marketing should do a bit of research before launching products with such names.

Pentax obviously never thought about how the name of that camera would sound in French, but then, it figures when you look at the numbers of their sales. About 88% of all Pentax cameras are sold within the borders of Japan, so with only 12% of units sold on the exterior market, no wonder why they don't care much about this exterior market...

Still, the K-??? naming system has an advantage over competition: it sounds different from the "D" naming stuff the big two are currently using. D800, D7100, D300s, EOS 6D, EOS 5D Mk III, EOS 70D, etc. "D" for digital...

Back in the days of the D100 and EOS 10D, the "D" was used to describe the camera was a digital one, because film cameras were still in use. But today, film SLRs are a thing of the past (even though some manufacturers still sell film SLRs), so the presence or absence of a "D" in the name of a camera doesn't matter anymore. So why keep using this "D" anyway? Looks like Pentax got the memo there, but Nikon didn't, nor did Canon (except for the Rebel line of products, which can be called EOS ???D in some places and Rebel T?i in other markets).

Sure, that "K" naming thing isn't gonna make Pentax sell more cameras, but if it can attract people just out of curiosity, it can't hurt.

10-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I'm interested in getting the plain-old FLU, mainly because up here we get SARS and H1N1!

Actually, the remote live-view is what is most interesting to me, since I sometimes do this:

But I'll gladly take the rest of the wireless controls (since the FLU is essentially tethering).
Really sucks when I put the K-5 up the pole and forget to turn on AEB. Instead of the "ka-chick-chick-chick-chick..." I only hear a single "ka-chick" (and in my head I go "wah-waaah")
I would love to use it that way too, but I wonder what the range is? I know with Eye-fi cards that I have tried, it was not reliable beyond 5 feet. Anyone have any indication what the range should be?
10-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
Things get even worse with the "Q", which sounds exactly like the word "cul" in French, a word French-speaking people use do describe people's rear ends or behinds. Just put the word "cul" in Google translation and see for yourself.

Yeah, I know. K is supposed to mean "King" and Q, "Queen". But maybe the guys at the marketing should do a bit of research before launching products with such names.
I assume all that was a tongue-in-cheek joke right ?
In case not = the 'K' refers to the lens mount as does the 'Q' which I believe also describes the 'Quarter' size'
10-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
Well I don't think Pentax was ever good with naming its products.

<snip>

But maybe the guys at the marketing should do a bit of research before launching products with such names.
Pentax are not alone.

Mitsubishi Pajero
Toyota Starion
Datsun Cedric
And now Ford Kuga - it means "plague" in Croatian.
10-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #26
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Pentax are not alone.

And now Ford Kuga - it means "plague" in Croatian.
Well the Croats have the strongest trade description laws
10-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Well the Croats have the strongest trade description laws
Love it!
10-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I wouldn't know, but Adam's write-up says:

"Rather than using a cable to connect the camera to a computer, the K-3 can create its own hotspot via a Pentax-developed Wi-Fi SD card that employ FLU technology (a third-party standard). Then, all you need to do is connect to the camera using a PC or compatible smartphone to control it remotely or download photos."
I hope this is correct. I was searching the Ricoh website for further info but all I could find was a reference that it worked with Android and iOS devices. No mention of working with MAC or PC (Laptops)
10-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Pentax are not alone.

Toyota Starion
The Starion was actually a Mitsubishi product, the ill-named successor to the Challenger. Cool looking car, actually.
10-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
I hope this is correct. I was searching the Ricoh website for further info but all I could find was a reference that it worked with Android and iOS devices. No mention of working with MAC or PC (Laptops)

The way i understood it, the tethering and control of the camera only works with Smartphones ( no sure about Tablets?)
"This software supports Smartphone’s operating on iOS6 or later and Android 4.2 or later" (Pentax K-3 | PhotographyBLOG)
But i did read on another threat that you can configure the flu-card to send the images to a PC / Mac e.g. directly to Lightroom and similar applications.