Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tarsus Quote
All the rest is just fluff and barely used, or even recognized, by your average shooter. Give me an articulated LCD and decent live view and I'm in
Articulated LCD's are just fluff, they snap off, tend to get scratched easily* and are difficult to weather seal. I prefer my cameras to not have their structural integrity hampered by the requirements of an articulated LCD. If you routinely use low camera angles, either use an external LCD monitor or use the FLUCARD functionality.

*and fitting a screen protector to them isn't an Ideal solution because in many cases a screen protector that is worth a damn will be too thick, and will prevent the screen from folding against the camera for storage.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-09-2013 at 08:49 PM.
10-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Articulated LCD's are just fluff, they snap off, tend to get scratched easily* and are difficult to weather seal.
I agree with you. I hate articulated screens.They seem like they only belong on el cheapo Canon stuff. I bought my K5 new in January, but I am looking forward to purchasing the K3 as soon as I've worn out the K5 That could be a few years.
10-09-2013, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tarsus Quote
I don't get it. The K3 adds a few more fps and a bigger buffer for $1300. All the rest is just fluff and barely used, or even recognized, by your average shooter. Give me an articulated LCD and decent live view and I'm in. Otherwise, there is nothing really new here since I bought my last Pentax, the Kx. Still waiting while they play catch up. Does Ricoh really think pro shooters invested in thousands of dollars worth of lenses are really going to switch to the K3? It's delusional.
I already have a K-5IIs. My main reason for buying the K-3 is improvements to AF for high speed action. That should give me more keepers. Faster FPS was also a requirement.

But there are a number of other improvements as far as I am concerned, even without considering video. (I haven't done much video). I hope the FLUCard will give good tethering. 2 SD card slots will be useful in some circumstances.

I suspect most buyers of the K-3 only want a minority subset of its improvements. But different people will want different subsets, because all photographers are minorities in their types of photography! (I'm a hobbyist photographer. I don't attempt to make money at it).
10-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I already have a K-5IIs. My main reason for buying the K-3 is improvements to AF for high speed action. That should give me more keepers. Faster FPS was also a requirement.

But there are a number of other improvements as far as I am concerned, even without considering video. (I haven't done much video). I hope the FLUCard will give good tethering. 2 SD card slots will be useful in some circumstances.

I suspect most buyers of the K-3 only want a minority subset of its improvements. But different people will want different subsets, because all photographers are minorities in their types of photography! (I'm a hobbyist photographer. I don't attempt to make money at it).
I agree, and IMHO it's a point that some seem to temporarily forget from time to time.

I'm a hobbyist as well, with a foot in both the Nikon and Pentax camps. I think the K3 looks like a decent upgrade. There are features I would not be using (like video), but I'm not going to wail and gnash my teeth about it. My biggest issue will be whether or not the viewfinder is sufficiently larger than the K-5 bodies. If it is, and the new AF is better at tracking fast moving objects like aircraft, I'll be liquidating most of my Nikon gear for Pentax. If not... I guess I'll be staying with my older Nikon gear until it dies.

10-09-2013, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I suspect most buyers of the K-3 only want a minority subset of its improvements. But different people will want different subsets.