Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 02:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ripped off again

Nice to see that once again the British buyers get ripped off with the pre sale K3 prices listed as around the £1099 price for body only yet in the USA its $1296 inc card [£806.00]

10-08-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well over where I live (here) it costs 1299 euro, body only. Thats just how things work..
10-08-2013, 03:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep.. as usually , 20 something VAT does the trick I guess :/ I always get ballistic when I see people complaining about their prices in $$ - we need to add 20-30% on top of that !
And yes - I am well aware of benefits that the people have because of social care, health insurance and so on. Nonetheless - it hurts :/
10-08-2013, 03:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Yep.. as usually , 20 something VAT does the trick I guess :/ I always get ballistic when I see people complaining about their prices in $$ - we need to add 20-30% on top of that !
And yes - I am well aware of benefits that the people have because of social care, health insurance and so on. Nonetheless - it hurts :/
vat has nothing to do with it, there are sales taxes in the USA as well, it is simply the usual dual pricing that takes place.

10-08-2013, 03:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Its $1399 AUD over here also. Depends on taxes, economy, market and currencies. If you don't have a need for in-country warranties you can always buy overseas =)
10-08-2013, 03:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
vat has nothing to do with it, there are sales taxes in the USA as well, it is simply the usual dual pricing that takes place.
America quote sans tax

so if you walked into B&H you would pay 6% onto of that ticket price
Let check the rip off price

$1299+20%VAT+6% import duty = $1652.32 = £1028.26

yep a rip off
10-08-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

VAT has everything to do with it. In the OP you quoted a US dollar price without tax, then quoted a UK Pound price including VAT. Subtract out the VAT and see how much closer in price they really are. Also remember that YOUR UK Pentax sales company sets pricing in the UK. Pentax USA sets pricing in the US. Two different companies with two different goals?

10-08-2013, 04:13 AM   #8
Banned

Fight the VAT, like few are trying to do and you might be better off. It's political (so I won't go further), but go to youtube and see what the UK's politicians are saying about the VAT and how no one knows what it's for.

There are other factors, but don't blame the companies exclusively for the high pricing.

As far as the pricing, the German Pentax importer hasn't even done a single thing to announce the K-3, nor pricing, so in like 3 months, they might finally do so. Ricoh really needs to get rid of this company.

The one time they should be playing on social networking (while ignoring business emails), they vanish. Be lucky none of you have this distributor. I'm on the Dutch border, so in the future, I'm just going through theirs.
10-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Prices for goods in the US are never listed with sales tax included (except for some in-person services and vending machines). And for good reason, especially in the case of internet sellers.

The price you see is the base price, sales tax is calculated later based on where the store is (for in-person purchases) or where you live (for shipments) and added to the total.

Last edited by Cannikin; 10-08-2013 at 04:38 AM.
10-08-2013, 04:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

When comparing prices, I divide the US$ before tax price by 1.5 and multiply by 1.2 to account for VAT in the UK. That way, I was able to predict the body-only price of the K-3 to be £1099 in another thread. I added a bit on because of the culture of selling at £**99 here. So it's a bit more expensive in the UK, but not outlandishly so. And we're a much smaller market.
10-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #11

Well, in Germany they just changed currency symbol - I was afraid of that (( The price for body only is 1299 EUR. Just the same story as in GB or in Slovenia...
To make things worse: the few retailers don´t offer a kit with 18-135 WR , just with 18-55mm.
10-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

In the US, the federal government does not have the authority to impose a sales tax on goods & services. Sales taxes are imposed at the state (and sometimes local) level only, and each state has its own rate. Some states impose sales tax on all goods & services, some exempt services, some exempt certain goods (groceries for instance). Some states don't tax sales at all. Most states that impose sales tax require retailers to list the sales tax separately from the retail price.

So, if your VAT is included in the retail price, you have to back it out in order to compare with US pricing, and even then, other market factors come into play (cost of living, for instance).
10-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #13

well, without VAT it would be 1440 USD still.
This unfortunately delays my purchase. With X-Mas yet to come I don´t see the price to drop so soon.
10-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by twophase Quote
well, without VAT it would be 1440 USD still.
This unfortunately delays my purchase. With X-Mas yet to come I don´t see the price to drop so soon.
Thank horrific, protective import tariffs applied to Asian oods that can't be replaced with homemade goods. It's as if they think these tariffs will force people to Leica or to their asian store brand junk.
10-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #15
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks to be around US$1670 in Norway. Without VAT that would be $1340. Quite reasonable with the 5 year consumer protection laws here.