Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #15016
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
At least I ticked it over to page 1000.
That's like ancient history... was i even alive then?

02-25-2015, 08:32 PM - 2 Likes   #15017
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's like ancient history... was i even alive then?
If you want ancient history you will need to consult our dear ancient mod. I heard he was around when dust was invented and came up with the idea for it to look dark on a light car and light on a dark car.
02-25-2015, 08:57 PM - 3 Likes   #15018
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm not that old! I was having a conversation with a friend years ago about age. Methuselah looked at me and said "Jim, you're only as old as you feel."
02-25-2015, 10:03 PM   #15019
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Yeah. The closest I can have is a coney bowl, which is hot dogs swimming in chili and onions topped by cheese. If only they had gluten free buns that didn't taste like sand mixed with shredded cardboard and ground into a sponge. I also like their chili 5 way, which is spaghetti noodles topped with chili, beans, meat, onions, and cheese. Too bad gluten free pasta leaves much to be desired.
Have you tried Japanese rice noodles? They come in several different types. No gluten and they taste a heck of a lot better than most of the gluten free pasta out there. When I was doing that to see if my digestive system would respond to it that's all I ate. That and Udi's bread because it was the only gluten free bread I could stand. Oh, except for this. This I liked a lot and still use now even though I am off the diet.

http://www.amazon.com/Chebe-Bread-All-Purpose-Gluten-7-5-Ounce/dp/B001ACNWY8...hebe+bread+mix

This tastes like decent artisan bread when baked. I kid you not. NO gluten. The cheese version is my favorite but they make several things and most of it's pretty good. They even make pizza crust and it's more than edible! I used to make pasties, calzones, bread sticks, pizza crust, you name it with this stuff and it was pretty darned good.

Last edited by magkelly; 02-25-2015 at 10:11 PM.
02-25-2015, 10:17 PM   #15020
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Have you tried Japanese rice noodles? They come in several different types. No gluten and they taste a heck of a lot better than most of the gluten free pasta out there. When I was doing that to see if my digestive system would respond to it that's all I ate. That and Udi's bread because it was the only gluten free bread I could stand. Oh, except for this. This I liked a lot and still use now even though I am off the diet.

Amazon.com : Chebe Bread All-Purpose Mix, Gluten Free, 7.5-Ounce Bags (Pack of 8) : Grocery & Gourmet Food

This tastes like decent artisan bread when baked. I kid you not. NO gluten. The cheese version is my favorite but they make several things and most of it's pretty good. They even make pizza crust and it's more than edible! I used to make pasties, calzones, bread sticks, pizza crust, you name it with this stuff and it was pretty darned good.
I like Japanese rice noodles. Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, and Chinese ones too.mi didn't think of using them in place of normal pasta. Thanks! I will also have to try that link when I am in a new house with a kitchen. I would love some bread, calzones. And pizza.
02-25-2015, 10:47 PM   #15021
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Depends. The French are not as good as the "average" German (etc.) IMHO ... some French are quite well versed. Others, well ... it's not too great at all.

I found people in Toulouse could talk English quite well and willingly. It helps that I sound like neither an English nor American person - from hat I am told.

---------- Post added 02-26-15 at 04:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote

Amazon.com : Chebe Bread All-Purpose Mix, Gluten Free, 7.5-Ounce Bags (Pack of 8) : Grocery & Gourmet Food

There is also bean vermicelli (looks clear and thn) and sweet potato noodles (Korean) which are fairly thick and have a firm texture. Could be worth you investigating ingredients.
02-25-2015, 11:18 PM   #15022
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
It helps that I sound like neither an English nor American person
My best mate from school went overseas and found the French much better mannered towards him and his family when they found out he was an Aussie, rather than English.

02-26-2015, 02:36 AM   #15023
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
My best mate from school went overseas and found the French much better mannered towards him and his family when they found out he was an Aussie, rather than English.

On my first trip to Toulouse I stayed at Hotel Ours Blanc. The receptionist was quite fun. She was absolutely stunned when I showed her my driver's licence with my address on it because the name of my street was the same as the name of the main geographic feature near the hotel. And then I told her that I have a winery at the end of the street. On that trip I did not see any vines. On my second trip, a few years later, I stayed at a different hotel in the same group and did see some vines, I seem to recall, on the side of the Blagnac airport, just near the 380 assembly shed. There are also two Concordes there - one painted in AF colours near one of the Airbus factories (where they make the smaller models) and one in the graveyard, fairly near some Airbus engineering offices. One of my friends said that all the Airbus staff went out to watch the landing of the last Concorde flight and it was very sad. The older ones had started their career working on it.
02-26-2015, 06:18 AM   #15024
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Depends. The French are not as good as the "average" German (etc.) IMHO ... some French are quite well versed. Others, well ... it's not too great at all.
As long as they're better than the average Spanish
02-26-2015, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #15025
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
As long as they're better than the average Spanish
And how is the Spanish of the average German?

My guess is that it's better than the German of the average Chinese...
02-26-2015, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #15026
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Americans have learned to claim they're Canadian when they get to France.
02-26-2015, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #15027
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Americans have learned to claim they're Canadian when they get to France.
Americans have learned to claim they are Canadian almost everywhere.... something that while amusing is quite alright with most Canadians... one of the commentaries of the Native Americans on the US - Canada is, there shouldn't be a border there. We are all North American people and drawing stupid lines on stupid maps doesn't change that.
02-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #15028
Pentaxian

Here's how the French see the English (sometimes, well really most of the time) ...

Your free French slang for the day.

"RUN AWAY !!! RUN AWAY !!!"
02-26-2015, 10:03 AM - 3 Likes   #15029
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

As long as we're stereotyping, here's an American take on the French. (All in good fun, I assure you)

An elderly American gentleman arrived in Paris by plane.
At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry on.
"You have been to France before, monsieur?" the customs officer asked sarcastically.
The gentleman admitted that he had been to France previously.
"Then you should know enough to have your passport ready."
The American said, "The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it."
"Impossible. Americans always have to show their passports on arrival in France !"

The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he
quietly explained, ''Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day in
1944 to help liberate this country, there wasn't a Frenchman in sight to show a passport to."
02-26-2015, 10:18 AM - 2 Likes   #15030
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
As long as we're stereotyping, here's an American take on the French. (All in good fun, I assure you)

An elderly American gentleman arrived in Paris by plane.
At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry on.
"You have been to France before, monsieur?" the customs officer asked sarcastically.
The gentleman admitted that he had been to France previously.
"Then you should know enough to have your passport ready."
The American said, "The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it."
"Impossible. Americans always have to show their passports on arrival in France !"

The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he
quietly explained, ''Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day in
1944 to help liberate this country, there wasn't a Frenchman in sight to show a passport to."
Good one.

And on a more serious note about the liberation of France and the American sacrifices made in that effort, I have had older French people thank ME directly for what the US did for France (and Europe) on several occasions. The then 80+ year old mother of a French friend once took my hand before sitting down at the dinner table in his home. She thanked me repeatedly and I responded that it was not I that freed her country. She said that she knew but she wanted to tell me anyway. It was important to her. It was maybe her only way to express her gratitude, and I hope that this brief post spreads her message a bit further.

One day I will work up the courage to visit those beaches and pay my respects. I do not do cemeteries very well as a general rule.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 02-26-2015 at 10:34 AM.