Show Printable Version 108794 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #36181
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
A country boy will survive.
Supposed to do that with the liver, when it is still warm and fresh.

05-15-2017, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #36182
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't know if it was a coincidence or if there's something about gin that is less "next day friendly" than other spirits, but the worst (by far) hangover I ever had was after an evening of drinking gin.
I went to bed about midnight and woke up about 8:00a.m. It was late that afternoon before I was sure I was going to live, and the next morning before I was sure I wanted to.
That was nearly 35 years ago. I haven't had gin since.
Gin and Tonic old chap. It's what keeps the Malaria at bay. Where I come from, those are called "Empire Builders".
05-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #36183
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know if it was a coincidence or if there's something about gin that is less "next day friendly" than other spirits, but the worst (by far) hangover I ever had was after an evening of drinking gin.
I went to bed about midnight and woke up about 8:00a.m. It was late that afternoon before I was sure I was going to live, and the next morning before I was sure I wanted to.
Moderation is key.
05-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #36184
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
there really isn't really anything better than scotch
Yes.

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
except perhaps gin...which isn't really a distilled spirit but an orally administered drug
Pretty much.

I do like Bombay Sapphire.

Keep it in the freezer. Pour a short shot of it and sip it........10 herbs and spices.......and way better than the Colonel's chicken.

05-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #36185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Moderation is key.
And that is why, to this day, the faintest aroma of gin can induce nausea... Because I, being young and stupid (and already intoxicated) forgot this important little maxim. And that was way back in 1984!
05-15-2017, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #36186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Not a bad book...
05-15-2017, 08:18 PM   #36187
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I drank gin because I liked the bitterness and because I never got a gin hangover, and I drank plenty of it. Rum was what gave me what gin gave you. Even now I can almost taste the aftertaste and feel the misery of that long ago dark rum sickness. It almost killed me and at the time I hoped it would.

Got my dryer up and running today. One week to the day that I ordered the parts at Sears...they came in. I went with ordering at Sears because the guys were helpful, and I paid $42 instead of $12 on Amazon with free next day Prime shipping. Won't make that mistake again. Little wonder Sears is dying and Amazon is booming.

Also got the TT out of the shop today. Been in there over a week waiting for an uncommon part. Expensive part...the bill was $506. and only $160 was labor. I'm tired of repairs and things breaking down......but there is no solution. New or old, things break down. Me too...hell, i'm broken down myself.

Regards!

05-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #36188
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You didn't brighten my day!
Now I have to agonize over wanting that hatchet but not being able to even rationalize, let alone justify buying it.
Thanks a lot
Life is not about things and stuff.
05-15-2017, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #36189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Let me see... Trying to catch on up the posts of the last week or so. Here goes...

Axes, farm pants, fountain pens, bagpipes, Japanese made in Scotland (or was that the other way around?), we can all trust Bobert... and some people actually prefer Cognac over Scotch? Hah, you almost got me there! And then back to cheese, more food, and bagpipes again. And more axes. And a light sprinkling of squirrels. Especially if combined with axes.

Did I miss anything?

I always find that curious. Why do they write it in Swedish if it's Danish? I believe the Danes would call it knækbrød. I have also seen Danish gräddost. Now, flødeost would be Danish. Gräddost is Swedish. Just as knäckebröd is. Which I eat daily. Swedish, though, not Danish. Brilliant food; tasty, and keeps forever. Very much unlike lutefisk which is off forever. Still, it's about the only "food" that's from Norway

The Japanese malt whiskies are really quite good, btw. They can't compete with a good Islay whisky, I think, but still good.
The answer, the Swedish spell correctly and find no need to cross out their mistakes, like the Danes.
05-15-2017, 09:30 PM   #36190
Pentaxian

Does that have something to do with the Piper concert to the crowd on the bridge?
05-15-2017, 09:38 PM   #36191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I drank gin because I liked the bitterness and because I never got a gin hangover, and I drank plenty of it. Rum was what gave me what gin gave you. Even now I can almost taste the aftertaste and feel the misery of that long ago dark rum sickness. It almost killed me and at the time I hoped it would.

Got my dryer up and running today. One week to the day that I ordered the parts at Sears...they came in. I went with ordering at Sears because the guys were helpful, and I paid $42 instead of $12 on Amazon with free next day Prime shipping. Won't make that mistake again. Little wonder Sears is dying and Amazon is booming.

Also got the TT out of the shop today. Been in there over a week waiting for an uncommon part. Expensive part...the bill was $506. and only $160 was labor. I'm tired of repairs and things breaking down......but there is no solution. New or old, things break down. Me too...hell, i'm broken down myself.

Regards!
There comes a time when it ceases to be economic to keep old stuff going. Everyone waits till the last break rather than selling on while there is still a fair amount of life left for the buyer. Individual people and even sophisticated product owners, like airlines with their planes.
05-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #36192
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Gin and Tonic old chap. It's what keeps the Malaria at bay. Where I come from, those are called "Empire Builders".
Indeed. However, they seem to have reduced the amount of quinine these days. To have an effect on malaria you have to consume some 6 litres a day. I'm not entirely sure malaria would be the worse choice

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The answer, the Swedish spell correctly and find no need to cross out their mistakes, like the Danes.
No. Just no. The Swedish are never right. And that's the very unbiased view of a Norwegian

If you don't believe me try some surströmming
05-15-2017, 10:34 PM   #36193
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Things do indeed break down, and these days, most of them are too complicated for the average Joe to fix.

One of the reasons I think I enjoy messing with old Russian lenses is that they can be easily maintained. There's something very satisfying about getting a simple, well-built piece of equipment back up and running properly with little more than a couple of screwdrivers, de-greaser and lubricant of some description (lithium for the lens, wine or beer for me ). I get the same satisfaction from cleaning, oiling and sharpening an old pocket-knife.

The last car I owned that was more-or-less serviceable by the average owner was a little Ford Ka from (I think) 2002. Here in the UK, I believe it was the last production car with no computer-based engine management system. A garage, some tools and a workshop manual, and I could fix that (well, the simple stuff - I never was much of a car mechanic).

Nowadays, everything's so darned complicated. I had a suspected problem with my car recently, and when I picked the car up from the service centre, they told me it was fine. "Did you drive it?", I asked. "No," they replied, "but nothing came back on the diagnostics"...
05-15-2017, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #36194
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
If you don't believe me try some surströmming
Is that even legal? Sounds to me like it shouldn't be.
05-15-2017, 11:16 PM - 4 Likes   #36195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Moderation is key.
...says the Moderator!

A bit self obsessed??
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »