Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #42781
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
No one should be forced to deal with snow.
Solution: 12 Places That Rarely See Snow | Mental Floss

12-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #42782
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I was born in and grew up in Bakersfield CA (I escaped though) and we had snow once. It was weird. Gone the next day though.

San Diego has great weather.
12-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #42783
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

No one should be forced to deal with snow.
Now, there's something we can agree on!
12-19-2017, 02:49 PM - 2 Likes   #42784
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Maybe the USA should adopt metric, then we can all act brilliant, uppity, and superior like the rest of the world.
Oh, how you tempt me to say things qualifying me for the dungeons...!

Apart from that, sure, when you adopt metric you can act brilliant, uppity, and superior like us - because you will be brilliant and superior! And suitably uppity, of course.

Wouldn't that be totally awwwwesome?!

12-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #42785
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

you probably go out into the snow on purpose.
On purpose, but not by choice
12-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #42786
Veteran Member

Maybe the USA should adopt metric, then we can all act brilliant, uppity, and superior like the rest of the world.
But then who would you act superior towards? Only Liberia would be left, and I believe you don't need the metric system to feel superior in that case
12-19-2017, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #42787
Veteran Member

But snow is AMAZING! Snowmen, snowball fights, the fact that it muffles all sounds and makes the world peaceful, but still gives you that satisfying crunchy sound with every step. And winter sports! I love it so much, I built a snowman crawling away from snow sharks recently (will upload a picture some time). Every year I beg for more snow, in Scotland I always had the biggest fun in the deep winter snows of the highlands.

One time we were on a hike with the club and one group was a bit ahead. The weather was atrocious, approaching blizzard conditions, so we just kind of fought our way through, everyone muffled up and caught up in the own thoughts, when suddenly we came under fire from all sides. The group ahead had dug trenches, fortified their positions and ambushed us. The following Battle of Loch Brandy lasted about 15 min. and ended when their leader (our club president) created a snowball the size of a curled up 5-year-old to chase me down with, tripped and smashed his own face into it.

Ah, good times ...

I may have told that story before, but whatever. You're all old sods anyway, you probably forgot already if I did

12-19-2017, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #42788
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
You're all old sods anyway, you probably forgot already if I did
*cough* *cough*
12-19-2017, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #42789
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Oh, how you tempt me to say things qualifying me for the dungeons...!
Do it, Rupert's pretty sure he lost a set of Jeep keys down there, maybe you can find them for him.
12-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #42790
Veteran Member

I may have told that story before, but whatever. You're all old sods anyway, you probably forgot already if I did
Sez the guy who can't remember if he told it before.
12-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #42791
Veteran Member

*cough* *cough*
first cold of the season?

you youngin's are so delicate
12-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #42792
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
do it, rupert's pretty sure he lost a set of jeep keys down there, maybe you can find them for him.
lol!!!
12-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #42793
Veteran Member

But snow is AMAZING! Snowmen, snowball fights, the fact that it muffles all sounds and makes the world peaceful, but still gives you that satisfying crunchy sound with every step. And winter sports! I love it so much, I built a snowman crawling away from snow sharks recently (will upload a picture some time). Every year I beg for more snow, in Scotland I always had the biggest fun in the deep winter snows of the highlands.

One time we were on a hike with the club and one group was a bit ahead. The weather was atrocious, approaching blizzard conditions, so we just kind of fought our way through, everyone muffled up and caught up in the own thoughts, when suddenly we came under fire from all sides. The group ahead had dug trenches, fortified their positions and ambushed us. The following Battle of Loch Brandy lasted about 15 min. and ended when their leader (our club president) created a snowball the size of a curled up 5-year-old to chase me down with, tripped and smashed his own face into it.

Ah, good times ...

if it's going to be cold it ought to be white!
12-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #42794
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gives you that satisfying crunchy sound with every step.
That is the sound of refrozen wet "crap" I loathe it as much as the sound of the squeaky -30C dry "crap"
"Crap" sucks...
12-19-2017, 05:45 PM   #42795
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Today, the meter is defined as distance light travels in 1 / 299,792,458 seconds. Of course everyone carries around the equipment needed to make this measurement so that they be sure they are not getting gypped by some vendor. And since we have yet to understand the nature of light, how can we be sure that the meter is actually a meter?
So you have distance covered.

What are the standards for mass?

A kilogram?

A liter?

A kilopascal?

I gotta know.

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Fortunately we had barleycorns. From them we get inches. And if we have inches we can determine how long a meter is although I have no idea why anyone would want to do that. So you see, your beloved metric system is based upon the very barleycorns that you detest so much. Now get to work changing all your road signs and speedometers etc.

And then there is the real beauty of barlyecorns. After we use them to conduct our daily business, we can make wonderful adult beverages form them. It may be that some scientist who had imbibed to much adult beverages started to hallucinate and while in that state developed the metric system.

More barleycorns.

We need more barleycorns.