Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I think Ricoh on the front of the camera won't matter to a new generation of photographers after the old fogies are long gone.
Well, as one of the "old fogies" I'm OK with Ricoh on the back especially when I see Pentax on the front. Ricoh does own Pentax and likely saved the brand so they can do what they like and so far it looks to me like they've done pretty good. Would like to see some more new lenses but they do seem to be very committed to Pentax. In the end, as a money making business they WILL do what their marketing staff suggest which may or may not be the end of Pentax. I'm betting that Pentax will continue on..

10-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That can be interpreted in two ways...
Look at the buzz here on the forum now compared to the hand-wringing and beating of chests just a couple of weeks ago and tell me which interpretation makes more sense.
10-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am sentimental about the Pentax name and would be sad to see it go.

OTOH I am happy to see the K mount continue to be supported, and the cameras to continue the tradition of design and features with the photographer in mind.

For now I am fine with the Ricoh name on the back.

The backward mount compatibility and continued improvements in performance are of highest importance.

If Ricoh makes a misstep in either of those areas then that would be cause to consider a change.
10-10-2013, 11:23 AM - 2 Likes   #49

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
I have been waiting for the announcement of the k3 for some time.Now that the camera is out and seeing the pics and seeing "ricoh on the back of the screen turns me off.Only a matter of time before we see Ricoh on the front of the camera.I think ricoh just shot themselves in the foot.
I think you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Jon

10-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Look at the buzz here on the forum now compared to the hand-wringing and beating of chests just a couple of weeks ago and tell me which interpretation makes more sense.
I've seen both sides. Fanboys being overjoyed with the new K-3, and fanboys so disappointed that they put their entire Pentax gear collection up for sale. To me personally it's just a tool of which I already have several really good ones. I don't understand the buzz, nor the the hand-wringing.
10-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Ricoh has really stuffed up here.
They should have bundled the K-3 with a couch for some.
10-10-2013, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All the passion!!! If Tata ever buys Pentax, I'm going to retreat to the fallout shelter with my 15 years of supplies and come out when the fighting is over!!!

10-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #53
Veteran Member

'What's in a name? A rose by... ', etc. Only knock I have against 'Ricoh' is that it makes me think of a food product called Rice-A-Roni. As for Tata, last time I looked, hadn't they bought Jaguar and Land Rover? Cool currymobiles!

Now. Why I won't buy a K-3... well, I'm an amateur photographer, and my K-30's capabilities far exceed my photographic abilities. But, to support Pentax -- a brand I really value -- I will be looking for price drops on the K-IIs cameras, as they move towards being discontinued. That anti-aliasing feature is built into the K-3 as well... and, at $1300, the K-3 is a good deal for someone looking for the latest and greatest. Quite a camera! Were I Pentax, I'd discontinue the K-II models as quickly as possible, so that further K-II sales to people like me don't cannibalize orders for the new K-3.

Last edited by jon404; 10-10-2013 at 11:47 AM.
10-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #54

Pentax engineering and product development are great. I don't think Ricoh marketing and even management are competent, but as long as they stay out of the product's way and don't piss their customers off, a great product like K3 will sell itself.
10-10-2013, 11:48 AM - 4 Likes   #55
Veteran Member

The Horror of cross/parent branding

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
I have been waiting for the announcement of the k3 for some time.Now that the camera is out and seeing the pics and seeing "ricoh on the back of the screen turns me off.Only a matter of time before we see Ricoh on the front of the camera.I think ricoh just shot themselves in the foot.
There's precedent.

C'mon, what does it matter?
10-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #56
Pentaxian

I'd say people looking for an excuse to "justify" not getting the K-3 didn't wanted to get one, from the beginning. I'm not sure why purchase decisions would need validation and being publicly discussed, though...
10-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
There's precedent.
OMG! Even that lens says "Asahi Opt. Co., Japan" on it, not PENTAX!! The horror! Never buying another Spotmatic aga---

Oh wait.

Hmmm...

10-10-2013, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

My ME Super had "Fujifilm" on it's back LCD...
10-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #59
Veteran Member

@RyanW, who wrote -- "Hell, it might bring in more new buyers if it DIDN'T say Pentax on it at all..."

How about ... Rikon! ... or Canoh! ... I'd go with Rikon. I'd also rebadge the new K-3 as a K-300, same camera with a few less features, but 300 possible color combinations. I'm serious... I really like my K-30 in white. Why, just yesterday, some guy said to me, "Cool camera!" But it was a rainy day, and I think he was overwhelmed by the sight of someone actually photographing in wet weather, and by the 18-55 WR's trendy-looking lens hood. Imagine, just imagine, the compliments you'd get if you had a lavender K-300 with a fuchsia lens! So... sensitive! But that K-3... keep it in basic black, the color of choice for pros and county coroners.
10-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
There's precedent.
Beat me to it