Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108808 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2020, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #76861
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You should try writing or drawing something out with the GPS track...
Try this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1et1rwhne4vKYEIutmB1dt-kqH-wNVyPH&usp=sharing

04-11-2020, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #76862
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
I like bikes, but most of ‘em don’t like me anymore... Carpal tunnel plus nerve damage at the C7/T1 foraminera (ulnar nerve) makes most handlebar designs intolerable. Which sucks.
I was thinking of you, today, as I was riding my bike. Here's a trick you can try: (Assuming you have a bicycle with drop bars) (And assuming you already have good gloves as I pointed out previously)

As you're riding along, with your hands in the drops, or up on the hoods: Relax your shoulders, bend your elbows and tuck your elbows in. When you relax your shoulders and bend your elbows, you force your body to use your core muscles to keep you upright rather than resting a whole heap of weight on your hands. But, if you're riding with your elbows sticking out you'll still have a lot of weight on your hands. The moment you tuck your elbows in, that changes. Not only do you become more aerodynamic, but weight on the hands disappear. Problem solved!

Try it and let me know.
04-12-2020, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #76863
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mark, you forgot to add: and be sure to wear lycra.
04-12-2020, 06:15 AM   #76864
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I was thinking of you, today, as I was riding my bike. Here's a trick you can try: (Assuming you have a bicycle with drop bars) (And assuming you already have good gloves as I pointed out previously)

As you're riding along, with your hands in the drops, or up on the hoods: Relax your shoulders, bend your elbows and tuck your elbows in. When you relax your shoulders and bend your elbows, you force your body to use your core muscles to keep you upright rather than resting a whole heap of weight on your hands. But, if you're riding with your elbows sticking out you'll still have a lot of weight on your hands. The moment you tuck your elbows in, that changes. Not only do you become more aerodynamic, but weight on the hands disappear. Problem solved!

Try it and let me know.
One mistake people often make is to raise the bars to relieve pressure. They would have to be raised a lot higher than what is practical to do on a road bike. Lowering them, using bars with deeper drops, different angle stem, etc., has the same effect as what Mark described above. Your core muscles start coming into play. Your knees obviously need to clear your chest at the top of the pedal stroke, but not by an excessive amount.

04-12-2020, 07:32 AM   #76865
Pentaxian

I gave up on drop bars years ago. Been riding mountain bikes or hybrid since oh, 1991 or such (before my Korea deployment at any rate). At this point, I might just try adjusting the angles on the handlebars and see what it gets me. I’ll pass on the Lycra, though!
04-12-2020, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #76866
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the biggest problems with straight bars is that they rotate the arms in such a way that it puts more stress on the AC joint, and, to a lesser extent, the elbows.
Try a mustache bar or a North Road bar. They allow for multiple hand positions.
04-12-2020, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #76867
Veteran Member

Trying to draw Itlay?

04-12-2020, 09:24 AM - 2 Likes   #76868
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Mark, you forgot to add: and be sure to wear lycra.
I’ll pass on the Lycra, though!
It's pretty comfy... and gets all the ladies... to look the other way....
04-12-2020, 09:25 AM - 2 Likes   #76869
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Try a mustache bar
Racer style or Bob style?
04-12-2020, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #76870
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
How about a video of you riding the mountain bike, while playing the pipes?
Nah. I'll happily do so on skis or a unicycle, however.
04-12-2020, 09:34 AM - 3 Likes   #76871
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
It's pretty comfy... and gets all the ladies... to look the other way....
Son, waaayyyyyyy too late for that. I’ve been invisible to the ladies for decades *without* Lycra...
04-12-2020, 09:47 AM   #76872
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I gave up on drop bars years ago. Been riding mountain bikes or hybrid since oh, 1991 or such (before my Korea deployment at any rate). At this point, I might just try adjusting the angles on the handlebars and see what it gets me. I’ll pass on the Lycra, though!
You can always go recumbent.

All the weight rests on your butt.
04-12-2020, 02:02 PM - 2 Likes   #76873
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just read that the great Stirling Moss has died. One of the greatest race car drivers of all time. Probably only a few of us old timers remember him but that guy could drive a race car. Everything from Mini coopers to F1.
04-12-2020, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #76874
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You can always go recumbent.

All the weight rests on your butt.
True. We actually have one. Let’s just say, my riding it is a source of amusement for all spectators. My reflexes and its twitchy steering are not a good mix without a whole lot of practice and retraining. Which I do have the time for now, of course.
04-12-2020, 06:10 PM - 3 Likes   #76875
Veteran Member

Bringing everyone up to date on PBS.