Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2020, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #76906
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Rabbit pellets do have an odor. My folks had a hobby farm when I was in my teens, including a hutch full of rabbits. The hutch had a screened bottom, and it didn't take long for the pile to mount up below. It was one of my chores to scoop it out and carry the mess away to the compost heap.

Stuff stank something fierce
I said cottontail, wild, rabbits, not pets or those raised in pens for food.

Stifflegged, Brooke is offended by your comment. Her breath does not stink.

04-13-2020, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #76907
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Even cleaning out the room in the barn where we raised chickens for meat never smelled so bad.
Just about 30 years ago I worked as the grower for a commercial mushroom farm on the East end of the state.
The first step is the compost. Just to give you an idea of how much compost we made per crop: it was composted on a concrete slab and turned daily with a large front loader. A rick for one crop was roughly 8'x8'x40'. Compost relies on nitrogen. We used chicken manure as a nitrogen source. We had it delivered from a chicken farm in Minnesota a dumptruck load at a time.
With the possible exceptions of sugar beet refineries and decomp (which, oddly, smell quite similar), nothing smells worse than chicken manure.
04-13-2020, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #76908
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Jacques?
You got it.
04-13-2020, 12:29 PM - 2 Likes   #76909
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Just about 30 years ago I worked as the grower for a commercial mushroom farm on the East end of the state
I don't remember seeing that on your job resume in an earlier post.
Seems you really do know your sh--tuff. I am now officially impressed!

04-13-2020, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #76910
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I don't remember seeing that on your job resume in an earlier post.
Yes, I mentioned it. I'll NEVER forget that experience.
I have done a lot of things to earn a living. 14 years in the military, milked cows, grown mushrooms commercially, police officer, owned a bike shop for just shy of 20 years...........
04-13-2020, 12:50 PM - 2 Likes   #76911
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed.
In that area of study I have a BS CS, MS, and PhD. Chicken ****, More ****, and, quite literally, Piled Higher and Deeper.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-13-2020 at 01:41 PM.
04-13-2020, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #76912
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I said cottontail, wild, rabbits, not pets or those raised in pens for food.

Stifflegged, Brooke is offended by your comment. Her breath does not stink.

Then she can open discussions with Skipper, who is keeping downwind. Note the embarrassed lurking position.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
04-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #76913
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just about 30 years ago I worked as the grower for a commercial mushroom farm on the East end of the state.
The first step is the compost. Just to give you an idea of how much compost we made per crop: it was composted on a concrete slab and turned daily with a large front loader. A rick for one crop was roughly 8'x8'x40'. Compost relies on nitrogen. We used chicken manure as a nitrogen source. We had it delivered from a chicken farm in Minnesota a dumptruck load at a time.
When we lived in Oregon mom worked at the Shady Oak mushroom plant. Long sheds with no windows and few doors. Mostly women, they wore miner's lamps, the kind with the carbide generator on a belt that leaked and corroded their clothes. The mushrooms are grown in beds of composted manure, stacked about 18" apart, 3 or 4 high.

Nasty job.

Be a good episode for Mike Rowe.

With the possible exceptions of sugar beet refineries and decomp (which, oddly, smell quite similar), nothing smells worse than chicken manure.
Cat poop.
04-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #76914
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

When we lived in Oregon mom worked at the Shady Oak mushroom plant. Long sheds with no windows and few doors. Mostly women, they wore miner's lamps, the kind with the carbide generator on a belt that leaked and corroded their clothes. The mushrooms are grown in beds of composted manure, stacked about 18" apart, 3 or 4 high.

Nasty job.

Be a good episode for Mike Rowe.

Cat poop.
The variety that we grew, agaricus bisporis, wasn't light sensitive. No flashlights, miner's lamps, etc., required.
The only thing they cared about was temperature, humidity, and carbon dioxide levels. Temp and carbon dioxide level requirements varied depending on the stage of growth the crop was in. Humidity was, ideally, about 90% continually.
04-13-2020, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #76915
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Worst smell ever? Pig farms in northern climes, first thaw after a long cold frozen spell (at least a couple months solid). Wayyy worse than the chickensh*t or cattle feedlots or compost. Ammonia and acidic enough to peel paint three counties away. After a few days it dissipates to merely a horrid stench.

I want those BACON Easter eggs!

Question for you mOdUL8rs. Can I ‘pollute’ the purity of The Eternal Thread with a few bicycle pics?
04-13-2020, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #76916
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well we have just seen some BACON Easter eggs and talkative dogs ... so......................................

Dave
04-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #76917
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Worst smell ever? Pig farms
I want those BACON Easter eggs!
Makes me go Hmm.
04-13-2020, 03:54 PM   #76918
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

or cattle feedlots
Okay, anyone who has followed my posts over the years has probably, rightfully, concluded that I am a half bubble off level so..................
I have, more than once in my travels, passed by two of the biggest cattle feedlots in the country.
I have never found that to be an offensive smell. That's not to say it's pleasant, but I don't find it offensive.
Hog operations? That's a different matter.
04-13-2020, 03:55 PM   #76919
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Question for you mOdUL8rs. Can I ‘pollute’ the purity of The Eternal Thread with a few bicycle pics?
Go for it!
04-13-2020, 03:56 PM   #76920
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The Eternal Thread
I like that. I really like that.