Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2020, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #81751
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Kerry McLean has created modern versions of this.

The first one has a small lawnmower type engine on it.

... But of course a V8 was too tempting.

He has a web presence. A modern day Albert Einstein, or Leanardo Davinci. An inventor, artist, gearhead, genius

I am irresistibly reminded of Douglas Adams’s “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” when both reading that and viewing the video:-

QuoteQuote:
Trin Tragula—for that was his name—was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.

I can just imagine how he’d get on in traffic.

11-08-2020, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #81752
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Kerry McLean has created modern versions of this.

The first one has a small lawnmower type engine on it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fVKeJ1vGNfo

But of course a V8 was too tempting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Q8rp0nnrE

He built a chassis dynamometer for testing it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb_title&time_continue=9&v=RZxif2RyI4I

He has a web presence. A modern day Albert Einstein, or Leanardo Davinci. An inventor, artist, gearhead, genius.

McLean Monocycle | Home of The Coolest Monowheel
Interesting to look at all that stuff. But I still think for me, that I prefer The Michigan Madman E.J. Potter's idea of putting a Hill born injected Chevy V8 in a Harley frame, with a Whizzer gas tank , a drag slick at the rear. Then he put the bike on a rear stand, revved up the Chevy to full throttle and had an accomplice jerk the stand closed and the slick tire hit the pavement...at my guess at about 4500 rpm.

Then chaos ensued.

He was a brave man to this about three times a race day at drag strips.

https://thekneeslider.com/e-j-potter-the-michigan-madman-r-i-p/#:~:text=E.J....%20right%20now.
11-08-2020, 06:37 AM - 4 Likes   #81753
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Your wife is a serious weaver ! Quite a machine. Does she make quite a few blankets ?
She has in the past, but this may be her last blanket. Moving the treadles is pretty serious stuff and at 65 it takes a lot out of her. The loom has 8 harnesses. More harnesses means more complex patterns can be woven. When you push a treadle to lift whatever harnesses need to be lifted for that throw of the thread you are not only working against the weight of the harnesses lifted, but also against the tension on the warp. To create the shed for the shuttle to race through is like pulling the stings back on hundreds of bows on a wide warp like a blanket. The treadles provide the leverage necessary to do this. This blanket will be some 90 inches (228 cm) long and maybe 80 (203 cm) inches wide.

The loom in the photograph is capable of weaving cloth up to 48 inches (121 cm) wide an she may be working against the tension of several hundred individual warp threads. Also the long throw of the shuttle on a wide warp is getting pretty stressful on her shoulders. It is a more physically demanding craft than one would initially think. The working of the beater is more touch and finesse than brute strength. If it is not kept even then it will have a big effect on the fabric.

She has made several coverlets and blankets over her lifetime. Lots of smaller items too. Recently she wove some fabric and made a jacket for herself from it.

She also spins fiber and sews. Her hobbies really need there own building. The room the loom is in is officially a family room on the architectural drawings. Instead it has the loom and a Husqvarna embroidery sewing machine.
11-08-2020, 06:58 AM - 4 Likes   #81754
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Which, again, explains how a V8 makes anything better!

11-08-2020, 07:22 AM - 2 Likes   #81755
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Hickory, Mark, hickory!!
I wonder if I should get meself something like this. Those handmade axes look good and are good. My only issue is that I don't really need another axe. Not that the lack of need stops me from buying other stuff...

11-08-2020, 07:49 AM - 6 Likes   #81756
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I wonder if I should get meself something like this. Those handmade axes look good and are good. My only issue is that I don't really need another axe. Not that the lack of need stops me from buying other stuff...
You need more axes. No self respecting Viking is ever without one. You have to be ready at all times to pummel a shield wall into submission. The sword looks cool, but it is the axe that does the work. Heck I Was walking through a Home Depot a few years ago and saw one of these. No idea why I got it, but I did.

Last edited by gaweidert; 11-08-2020 at 10:45 AM.
11-08-2020, 08:01 AM - 4 Likes   #81757
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why I might have to pass on the new offering:
1. Budget
2. The Ki-MII works great
3. Wife

To justify the purchase:

1 I can always adjust the budget to fit the cost.
2. Explain I have lenses that do not work on the K1 and on the new one they will.
3. Explain it will only the 5th DSLR and it is like a purse. How many of those do you have?

Prior to #3 check medical insurance.

11-08-2020, 08:32 AM - 3 Likes   #81758
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
You need more axes. No self respecting Viking is ever without one. You have to be ready at all time to pummel a shield wall into submission. The sword looks cool, but it is the axe that does the work.
All good and reasonable arguments. I guess that's all the justification I need

QuoteQuote:
Heck I Was walking through a Home Depot a few years ago and saw one of these. No idea why I got it, but I did.
My guess is that either you had just had another talk with that quarrelsome neighbour, or you have more Viking ancestry than you thought. Or both.
11-08-2020, 08:52 AM - 3 Likes   #81759
Veteran Member

On Saturday night, we had pizzas.
This afternoon, the pizza oven was still hot enough to do lamb shanks.
So, 24 hours later, the residual heat from the oven provided us with a second perfectly cooked meal.
Not quite a pizza oven, but our big masonry stove in the centre of the house is pretty magnificent for cooking all winter long. After the fire's out you just cook away - decent for pizzas too. Awesome for slow cooking. You start to find all sorts of tricks and methods for cooking.
11-08-2020, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #81760
Pentaxian

I Was walking through a Home Depot a few years ago and saw one of these. No idea why I got it, but I did.
You got one too?
11-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #81761
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Not quite a pizza oven, but our big masonry stove in the centre of the house is pretty magnificent for cooking all winter long. After the fire's out you just cook away - decent for pizzas too. Awesome for slow cooking. You start to find all sorts of tricks and methods for cooking.
Sounds good! You need to post a photo so we can see what it looks like!

Pizza ovens work best at very high heat. 2 minutes and it's done! (For traditional Italian pizza anyway)
11-08-2020, 01:01 PM   #81762
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Do you have enough house to keep it in without excessive clutter?
11-08-2020, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #81763
Pentaxian

You need more axes. No self respecting Viking is ever without one. You have to be ready at all times to pummel a shield wall into submission. The sword looks cool, but it is the axe that does the work. Heck I Was walking through a Home Depot a few years ago and saw one of these. No idea why I got it, but I did.

So you could be arrested for having an offensive weapon?
11-08-2020, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #81764
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Soapstone? The Scandinavians go big on these, unlike the Brits: I knew someone who tried importing them but they didn't take off.

Sounds good! You need to post a photo so we can see what it looks like!

Pizza ovens work best at very high heat. 2 minutes and it's done! (For traditional Italian pizza anyway)
For real pizza, you mean! Stuffed crust and deep pan are chain restaurant inventions, not the authentic item.
11-08-2020, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #81765
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Do you have enough house to keep it in without excessive clutter?
That... depends on which day you are asking. If it's right after everything's been shoehorned into their respective cupboards and storerooms, then yes. On any other day, no.

I just got a good deal on another toy just now, so I'll wait a bit longer with that axe. Did I need another image recording device? Probably not, as it's quite useless for beating through shield walls. But at least it wasn't a K-3.

BACON!