Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108806 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2020, 12:14 AM - 3 Likes   #81916
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Being a Bob and a Les....to help non Bob's figure out who is who in the Bob world, I could be referred to as Les Bob or Bob Les.
Could we refer to you as Bubbles?

11-12-2020, 12:15 AM - 2 Likes   #81917
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Better yet, camo TP.
...to make sure someone will step in it
11-12-2020, 12:18 AM - 3 Likes   #81918
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Don't we have a (one!) rule in this thread? There can be only one!
Well then, I guess if there can only be one Bob in this thread and dat's da rule...then I suppose the Bob who was named Bob first, who was born first...gets to be.... thee Bob. I believe that is how the rule of succession works. The oldest Bob gets it all.

Which also means that I would have to be content with just being Les.

---------- Post added 11-12-20 at 01:19 AM ----------

Nope, I'm more of a Bubba than a Bubbles.
11-12-2020, 12:35 AM   #81919
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
We have stories here about a black panther on the loose; some say, from photographic "evidence" that it is true, some say from the same "evidence" that it is a huge feral cat. Who knows?
There seem to be lots of "big cat" claims in the UK. Just citing one highly credible source here

Wildlife expert warns rural UK is home to 250 black leopards and 250 pumas | Daily Mail Online
Britain's top 'big cat' tracker claims UK has healthy populations of leopards and pumas | Daily Mail Online

11-12-2020, 12:43 AM - 5 Likes   #81920
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Well then, I guess if there can only be one Bob in this thread and dat's da rule...then I suppose the Bob who was named Bob first, who was born first...gets to be.... thee Bob. I believe that is how the rule of succession works. The oldest Bob gets it all.
Just like a student choir my daughter was in; they had a "there can be only one" rule. If "Anne" was taken when a new Anne joined, the new one was given another name, say Liv. If the original Anne left, the other one would still be stuck with Liv. And if another Liv should happen to join she would then be given yet another name. All done to avoid confusion, of course.
11-12-2020, 12:44 AM - 3 Likes   #81921
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Which also means that I would have to be content with just being Les.
Very humble of you - you shouldn't happen to be Norwegian, should you?
11-12-2020, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #81922
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope, I'm more of a Bubba than a Bubbles.
Too bad

11-12-2020, 01:21 AM   #81923
Pentaxian

Very humble of you - you shouldn't happen to be Norwegian, should you?
Some Norwegian. A Grandmother was a MacLeod and the MacLeods were from the highland area of Scotland that was still under the King of Norway till the 1400's. In Gaelic Mac = 'son of 'and Leod was the name of a Norwegian King and I understand his name 'Leod' means ugly. So as a MacLeod I suppose that means I descend from the Norwegian King named Leod and of course we all know what Leod means.

Although my wife thinks I'm ok looking, although lately she doesn't want to take me out anywhere with her. Now that might have to do with Covid restrictions...or maybe there is something to the name's origins. I don't know for sure. I'll have to think about that one.

A relative had her DNA analyzed and aside from having British background, she had some Norwegian in the DNA too, which we think comes from the MacLeod part of the family. But who knows, I'm no genealogist.
11-12-2020, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #81924
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't be surprised. It is amazing how a large mammal can disappear into a thick forest. Often times when I've walked through different forest areas, I've thought that although I couldn't see any sign of life, it wouldn't surprise me if wildlife was watching me. We humans, generally don't have wild animal's survival skill to hide effectively....
Indeed. The area they (may be in) is about 12,600sq.km (almost 5,000sq.miles) and has very few roads, only around the edges and few formed walking tracks. Parts of it is very steep and virtually impossible to access on foot and helicopter access is only permitted to parts of it. As you can imagine, if an animal wanted to disappear, this would be a good place to do it. Humans do not venture in there at long as the whole place is filled with biting insects and perpetual rain.
11-12-2020, 02:43 AM - 5 Likes   #81925
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
This is Bubbles.

11-12-2020, 03:10 AM - 2 Likes   #81926
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Funny from that first source :
QuoteQuote:
most of the witnesses and informants are reliable people, such as police officers and scientists.
To me, that statement lessens the credibility. Why is it that "scientists" and "police officers", a tiny percentage of the population, see more of them than the rest of the population put together?

I am as likely as anyone in the UK to come across big cats, or stories of them, because I live in a forest that is remote by UK standards and has deer. I talk to the rangers. There was a story here about 10 years ago of a puma in the area. My nearest neighbour is a farmer who said it had taken lambs from his fields and he had claimed the insurance I am keeping an open mind.
11-12-2020, 03:17 AM   #81927
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
My nearest neighbour is a farmer who said it had taken lambs from his fields and he had claimed the insurance I am keeping an open mind.
There is insurance to cover livestock loss to a predator?
11-12-2020, 03:30 AM - 2 Likes   #81928
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way, go Canada, eh?

11-12-2020, 03:46 AM - 3 Likes   #81929
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
To me, that statement lessens the credibility. Why is it that "scientists" and "police officers", a tiny percentage of the population, see more of them than the rest of the population put together?

I am as likely as anyone in the UK to come across big cats, or stories of them, because I live in a forest that is remote by UK standards and has deer. I talk to the rangers. There was a story here about 10 years ago of a puma in the area. My nearest neighbour is a farmer who said it had taken lambs from his fields and he had claimed the insurance I am keeping an open mind.
What, are you doubting the credibility of the Daily Mail?!

That will leave The Sun as my only source of truth, then
11-12-2020, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #81930
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
There is insurance to cover livestock loss to a predator?
Around here the gubmint compensates livestock loss to (protected) predators. I believe the idea is to avoid poaching of the handfull of predators we have left.